Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2011, 22:13:48 GMT
Agma says:
Isn't it time for a more accurate rating representation on amazon review writing? Frequently, and on more than one single occasion of the back of my 79 (to date) reviews I find that half star ratings should be introduced for that occasion when you believe a product falls nicely between two stars. Its all very well stating that in reviews; but as well as the currently missing classic rank. This introduction I think would make for a more considered approach to your review voting. And as such an increased choice of rating accuracy may also consequently enhance the customer shopping experience. The average review rating is unlikely to be changed significantly on product pages. How about it reviewers? yay or..... nay? ... P.S or maybe even bring a possible ten star option? just an idea. 80's

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2011, 23:40:49 GMT
As an 80s rock fan, wouldn't you prefer a ranking scale that goes up to 11?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2011, 08:25:01 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I'm not sure that a 10 star system would give any more accuracy to reviews. Personally I read the review rather than look at the star rating anyway. I can't say I've had a problem with the majority of my reviews in allocating an exact star rating and there have only been a very few books where I felt I had to qualify the star rating I'd allocated.

I would say the classic ranking and the voting facility is only temporarily missing otherwise there wouldn't be the 'oops' message.

Posted on 14 Mar 2011, 09:09:27 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Mar 2011, 12:51:55 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2011, 17:06:01 GMT
Boing says:
Mark you've really made me wish the voting system wasn't down XD

Posted on 14 Mar 2011, 17:21:33 GMT
If a 10-star ranking would weed out the exaggerated number of five-star ratings I think it would be worth considering.

Personally, I have never given a five-star rating as I feel it means the work is flawless although I know this is not how Amazon defines the star ratings. One the other hand, I have given several one-star ratings when I would have given no stars had I been able to.

I rarely read a five-star review because I expect a gushy advert often written by someone who has an uncritical kind of mind.

Posted on 14 Mar 2011, 17:37:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2011, 17:42:51 GMT
Agma says:
Yes all of you have made excellent contributions on this, although my area of reviewing lies primarily in music as this is where my strongest passions for reviewing lie, for others it may be a mix or different (specific) genres of music, film, technology, clothes etc, etc. Anyway, my beef with the current star rating is that out of 5 stars doesn't really work all that well for items which by all means should be smack on average, we have 3 stars which is indicative of 60% or 10% variance of the average midline and a 2 star rating working out at 40% a 10% deviance in the opposite direction. It's not that this is a major issue however people very often know what point you want to get across by your review title and obviously by successively reading the review content below it. Now in reference to Mark wallace, I have dished out many five star reviews over my 2 and a half year period of reviewing but try as best as practically possible to avoid fanism in the greatest of respects, very often I like to review positively and not just simply to accrue votes to move up the ranking ladder or to champion my favorite bands latest disappointing opus. There is however no getting away from the fact that there are probably way too many five star reviews on this site, especially in music and if you grade low or comment negatively you will subsequently get lambasted by the fans, and so in that respect changing any aspect of review stars is unlikely to change that part of reviewing at least.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2011, 20:55:55 GMT
monica says:
I looked at this thread because I so dislike having to assign a rating to a book, but since I must I'd prefer a range of 10 stars. There's something in your post that I think I'm just missing because I'm not mathematically-minded: Why would 50% be considered 'bad'? Why would the new average be 65%? With 1-5 scale, 3 is mid-point and corresponds to 'average'; why would mid-point of 5 on 1-10 scale be less accurate? In other words, could you explain what score creep is? It seems paradoxical that fine-tuning would distort. . .Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2011, 22:19:05 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
I agree. A 10-star rating system would be much more accurate. Timeless masterpieces and books one enjoyed very much are now all rated at 5-stars. A 10-star rating would be much more discerning.

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 07:39:37 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Mar 2011, 12:45:47 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2011, 08:23:17 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Amazon's definition of 5* isn't flawless or perfect - it's just that you really liked that particular item! I have mentioned things I didn't like about books to which I have given 5 stars - it doesn't have to be perfect.

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:55:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2011, 16:39:35 GMT
The Truth says:
Mark Wallace:
LMFAO - Classic response!!! Comment of the day!!

Damaskcat:
Totally right, which leads me to my final point...

80s Rock Fan:
Hi again,

I find it helpful not to think of the stars as stars or marks out of 5, but to remember what they represent: 1 star = I hate it; 2 stars = I don't like it; 3 stars = it's OK; 4 stars = I like it and 5 stars = I love it... Hover your pointer over them when you do you next review and you'll see what I mean.

I find it easier to rate something by thinking of the phrase that closest describes my view or experience of the film/product I'm trying to score, and then giving it the appropriate star rating.

I agree, there have been times I've felt something is nearly 4 stars, but not quite - but then I just mention that at the end of the review. I don't find it a huge problem TBH. Also, there's nothing stopping you grading a song or album numerically in your review either - if you feel a song you reviewing deserves 6.5 out of 10, you can say so.

So to sum up, try assigning stars by thinking of them not as marks out of 5 but as indicators to the phrases they stand for or represent - I think you'll find this makes the task a lot easier. Then, if needs be, just make a little note of an 'out of 10' score at the end of your review (or 2, 3, 4 out of 10 etc.)
Hope that helps :-)

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 16:04:27 GMT
M. Dowden says:
The Truth, like you I use the wording that Amazon includes for each star when I do my reviews. It is nice and easy, and I don't really see that a change to a 10 star rating would be that good. The more stars there are the more distorted the resuts could be. After all what would be 9 stars? I love it but not as much as something else. I know some sites do use 10 stars but you don't really get a clear picture of what people really think unless you wade through all the reviews. After all if you are thinking of buying anything the first thing you look at is the number of reviewers and the average star rating.

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 16:34:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2011, 16:37:17 GMT
The Truth says:
MD:
I was always told that 'Great minds think alike' ;-)

Crumple:
Huh?! Why did Amazon delete your comments? Was it the joke you made about Neurosplicer? Sheesh - seems a bit overzealous... can't they take a joke?

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 20:50:58 GMT
monica says:
Another Huh? post: I see that a post I responded to that'd discussed the system in mathematical terms has been deleted by amazon as well. What and why tf? (Poster endorsed amazon's system, in fact, so that had nothing to do with it.) In the amazon censoring staff is there a loose cannon who is aware of lewd/terrorist/libellous/people-with-ginger-hair-are-substituting-their-babies-for-those-of-regular-people threats contained in words like 'stars' and 'average' and 'the' that the rest of us aren't? We should be told.

Posted on 15 Mar 2011, 22:31:16 GMT
The Truth says:
Monica:
How's this for a major Huh? moment... it seems all of Crumples comments in all the threads have been deleted at the exact same time! At least the 3 or 4 threads I've looked at.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 07:52:21 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Hi Truth, how the hell are you? Do you think the game is up now?

Posted on 16 Mar 2011, 09:50:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2011, 10:03:34 GMT
The Truth says:
Hi Molly Malone ;-)
I'm fine thank you... still reeling a little from the marriage rejection but time heals all wounds and my broken heart heals a little more each day :-(
Looking forward to the weekend though as my best friend is coming up to visit!
RE: 'the game being up':
I heard people say that Crumple wasn't Crumple on this forum before - and honestly, I can't really comment because I only knew him as Crumple, and I must admit, I quite liked the fellow. Still, I'm sure the game isn't up as you put it because what's to stop him popping back up under another guise... just like he did last time as Crumple, if indeed that's was/is the case.

Does that make sense?

Anyway - you're a fine one to talk of name changes ;-) What's the inspiration behind your latest incarnation (Molly Malone being an obvious response I guess). Do you own a cart? More to the point, are you a tart? :-D

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 10:13:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2011, 10:13:25 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Do try and keep up! The Truth!!! I AM a fine one indeed! Yes I own a cart? Mo bara rotha!! And, indeed, I am sweet, you could say, the tart with a heart with a cart!

Posted on 16 Mar 2011, 12:34:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2011, 12:36:18 GMT
The Truth says:
I'm sorry, I will try harder... Starting from now :-(
I have been mucho busy at work and my mind has not been on Amazonian matters recently.
Busy as I am, did you see I still managed to find time to tag a picture of Molly Malone for you the other day? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 13:02:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2011, 15:33:47 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Yeah I did, but only today though? "She wheels her wheelbarrow, through streets broad and narrow, singing COCKLES AND MUSSELS, ALIVE, ALIVE O" They just don't write songs like that anymore!

Posted on 16 Mar 2011, 19:27:04 GMT
M. Dowden says:
Molly was that you pushing your barrow round my way yesterday? There we all were shouting out 'Give us a feel of your mussels, and we're let you feel our cockles!' Then we all did the Lambeth Walk. : )

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2011, 10:37:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2011, 10:38:19 GMT
Molly Brown says:
MD, rude boy!!! It could have been me, I also love doing the Lambeth Walk! Hey!

Posted on 17 Mar 2011, 15:35:49 GMT
The Truth says:
Molly - you have a moggie don't you?

I have just found that Amazon have started selling the best cat toy in the world ever! I had to import it from America before, but not anymore...

If you want to treat your kitty take a look at ''Da Bird''... Can't find the product link so just look in my reviews and get to it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2011, 08:15:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2011, 08:18:56 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Had a look at the product Truth! Too hectic for my cats. They get recycled shoe laces to play with. One is too old anyway for such gymnastics, one is just too laid back to be shown enjoying himself, and my young b*tch, (by name and nature) prefers chasing Butterflies! Good review though, watch out, Cat Woman is coming up behind you (so to speak)!
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (652 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Discounted reviews AFTER the new guidelines where somebody has revealed that they got it for free or at a discount 32 9 days ago
"Sorry, we are unable to accept your review of this product ....." 35 12 days ago
1 of 1 within seconds of review becomeing live 12 13 days ago
Seriously weird; credibility 😀 Of the 'top ten review' system 22 25 days ago
Should Amazon Abolish the Negative Vote Altogether? 3304 23 Aug 2017
The Elephants Graveyard... 6 16 Aug 2017
Reviews not appearing. 145 15 Aug 2017
what is a.r.a.t? 87 15 Aug 2017
Returns: reason for return 4 15 Aug 2017
Content by Mr Baz Customer Reviews: 0 Top Reviewer Ranking: 5 Helpful Votes: 1 339 7 Aug 2017
Amazons Unofficial censor and promoter of Far right books! 33 5 Aug 2017
Refunds by Paypal 86 30 Jul 2017

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  13 Mar 2011
Latest post:  22 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers