Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Has being an Amazon reviewer affected you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 52 posts in this discussion
Posted on 23 May 2014, 14:35:51 BST
1. It makes me read books more slowly and more carefully, and I think harder about analyzing the quality of what I read.

2. My reviews are a kind of reading diary, which helps me better to remember what I haveread. I often forget, within weeks of having read it, the content of of even a book I ejoyed. I wish I had started reviewing many years earler!

3.I enjoy the challenge of reviewing a book without giving away too much of the plot. I am afraid I do not always meet that challenge, but in that case I post a note at the beginning that some readers may find I have given away too much.

4. I am happy when someone posts a positive comment and the correspondence to which it occasionally gives rise. I even prefer a negattive comment to a mere "not helpful" tick, which always makes me wonder why I have received it.

5. I have to admit that I am interested in my Amazon ranking, though I have no idea of the arcane method by which the ranking is calculated. However, that does not stop me from writing reviews of books which I can imagine nobody would read and which therefore are not likely to receieve either a "helpful" or a "not helpful" tick.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2014, 18:02:45 BST
John Ryan says:
Hey Ralph Blumenau: Interesting comments about reviewing books. Know what you mean about remembering the content of a book. Myself, I find it incredibly difficult to review books. I tend to resort to positive or negative statements (eg. I loved this book), but be unable to voice the reasoning in a way that'd help others.

About the Amazon ranking - I'll bet there's a few posts here which take an educated guess. My guess it's probably quite simple based around net number of new votes per day with a weighting in favour of more recent reviews, and a smoothing out for small numbers of products. This means somebody with 1,000 votes over 100 reviews gets a higher ranking that 1,000 votes over 2 products. Biggest single vote catcher I've seen is for the Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD) which received 2,271 votes in the past 18 months, which placed "Captain Awesome" at a rank of 81.

Personally, I'm less interested in the rank per se, than the fact that over two thousand people have read something, and found it interesting and useful enough to say so. Even if all it takes is a click of the mouse.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Posted on 24 May 2014, 18:33:00 BST
Quiverbow says:
Having 31,611 positive votes hasn't done this reviewer any favours as he's currently 8,153 in the rankings Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2014, 20:37:25 BST
John Ryan says:
Hi Quiverbow! Laughed until I almost cried. (Just not young enough to write LOL!).

Bit like this review from our cousin's from across the pond....
http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM

Sorry - thread deviating from the original question - although I could say - these reviews really made me laugh!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2014, 16:18:25 BST
Ivan says:
Ah, the groupies yes.

I have reviewed the best of them on the usual site.
How do you feel about Gatemouth-Lil from Basildon?
I could only give her four stars, but I was so tempted to give her top marks, particularly on account of the screw-on accessories.
Oh, Tynesidethighswide sends her regards..

Fortunately the reviewer groupies do NOT write reviews themselves....

Posted on 26 May 2014, 07:07:44 BST
Crookedmouth says:
Meg The Peg is a lovely lass, but her guide dog was sick on my kitchen floor last time she was over and she does also have a habit of emptying my drinks cabinet while Im sleeping. I replaced the creme de menthe with Harpic once, and she finished it off, the brute.

Posted on 28 May 2014, 02:11:16 BST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 4 Jun 2014, 17:29:04 BST
Aletheuon says:
I've enjoyed the laugh, but just to get back to the topic, being a reviewer has certainly changed my life, though not necessarily for the better. I'm obsessed! I can't wait to finish a book so that I can review it and I can't sit down without opening my laptop and attempting yet another review. If I go away, I read five books and itch to go home so that I can review them! If someone gives me a negative vote, I want to wring their necks! I speculate on whether they wanted to get their review above mine on the page or whether they have understood something that I haven't yet seen, in which case I must be stupid. I have told a couple of other people what my ranking is and they have been completely bored and uncomprehending. Can't they see how important it is???
Oh dear! It isn't, is it?

Posted on 4 Jun 2014, 18:15:25 BST
No. It isn't.

Posted on 4 Jun 2014, 18:26:18 BST
[Deleted by the author on 4 Jun 2014, 18:49:55 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2014, 23:08:57 BST
Bob says:
I am completely indifferent to my ranking so long as it is going up.

Posted on 5 Jun 2014, 09:44:32 BST
Aletheuon says:
I'm completely indifferent to my ranking, too...er, what's that pain in my nose?.. oh, 'eck, it has just touched the opposite wall of the kitchen, where I sit, ignoring the fact that my husband is removing the kitchen units (!), busily checking my reviews. Sadly, my book reviews are usually for older books and don't earn many votes. Most of mine come from dvd reviews. I get a real buzz when someone has actually read a book review and valued it.

Posted on 5 Jun 2014, 13:34:55 BST
sally tarbox says:
I absolutely identify with you, Aletheuon. There's a particular buzz when you review some old unheard of book and the information you post is all that's available. Not just on Amazon but ANYWHERE on the internet. You feel you're making your mark in history somehow. I'm also an avid Librarythinger (are you into this too? If not I'm not sure I should be encouraging you; you'll be on the computer so much, you'll have no time to read!) More opportunities to review books, lots of like-minded people who are actually interested in unusual ones, plus you can contribute to knowledge in other ways - I've got quite hooked on sourcing photos of little-known authors from internet and posting them on pages that currently lack an image...

Posted on 5 Jun 2014, 18:22:16 BST
Aletheuon says:
Wow, Sally, that does sound interesting. It could lead to divorce, though....

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014, 20:43:22 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 12 Jun 2014, 20:59:46 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014, 20:48:17 BST
Crookedmouth says:
Kenneth is a lovely chap and in another universe, perhaps... But no. Twas not meant to be.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014, 21:13:08 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Oct 2014, 07:14:55 BST]

Posted on 13 Jun 2014, 05:51:01 BST
Crookedmouth says:
I do sometimes wonder if they employ a small army of nans to dothe "moderating"

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2014, 08:02:57 BST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2014, 08:37:57 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Oct 2014, 07:14:36 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2014, 18:40:25 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Oct 2014, 07:14:16 BST]

Posted on 14 Jun 2014, 16:42:38 BST
Check my Peter Kay video review and then tell me if you think I was being serious.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2014, 18:27:30 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Oct 2014, 07:14:03 BST]

Posted on 18 Jun 2014, 03:00:34 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 31 May 2017, 14:48:47 BST]

Posted on 18 Jun 2014, 03:42:37 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 31 May 2017, 14:48:48 BST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (647 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  10 May 2014
Latest post:  18 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers