Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Political Thriller - Casual clothes, casual work, casual sex - serious dissent.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Oct 2011, 16:37:43 BST
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2011, 16:43:06 BST
Spiralise says:
On Kindle - Virtual Assassin
In Paperback - Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin is a tense thriller with powerful political and moral implications. It tracks the story of successful young graphic designer, Lee Coller, sickened with the Iraq war and the no-regrets position of Tony Blair. When he hears a VIP is about to visit his office, he obsesses it might be Blair and chalks out a plan of revenge. But will Blair visit after all? And will Lee do the unthinkable? Can one act of violence make up for so many others?

Warning: this book may contain traces of satire.

"... a pacy read ... indicative of the shallow heyday of New Labour."
- Time Out, London

"The book is genuinely subversive ..."
- Booksquawk.com

" ... a good and very intense read ... if you're into politics and often think that you'd like to take a stand for the sake of mankind, this book is definitely for you."
- Catch 22 Magazine

Posted on 12 Oct 2011, 17:17:30 BST
KevinR says:
Black Hat

Danny is a pen tester, a freelancer, in debt to a loan shark and desperate for money. Penetration testing means he breaks into things with owners consent to ensure their security actually works; computers, mobile phones, sometimes even buildings. His speciality is large networks, and his favourite targets are banks. He's developed a bad reputation though; not because he's poor at what he does, he's exceptionally good. But the rumour mill in the city says that he can't be trusted, that he's a little too close to the dark side, the realm of black hats, hackers, crackers, drudges and cyberpunks, where disgruntled technocrati lurk and spend their time figuring out new ways to do damage in an increasingly technological world. It means that clients are disinclined to hire him; in fact most won't even talk to him or even take his calls.

Danny's only concerned with paying his debts though. Spiros, the loan shark, is a source of constant torment. After a job that should have set him straight financially fails to do so, Danny finds himself with only one option: to work for a client he doesn't want to work for, doing a job he doesn't want to do. Black Hat

Posted on 12 Oct 2011, 19:58:57 BST
Remote Control is a political thriller set in Edinburgh at the start of an election campaign. And someone is trying to assassinate the Prime Minister. Could it be the security services. A drug dealer whose girlfriend was associating with jihadists becomes involved. This book was adapted for the stage and produced by the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh. Now on Kindle!!

Posted on 12 Oct 2011, 22:13:27 BST
Spiralise says:
Hello John, hello wg.

Welcome to the fourth annual convention of Writers Who Like To Press Trousers.

I think no more members are coming, Steve is, of course, laid up in Sacramento and Magnus, well, Magnus is still forbidden from going on the Internet.

If someone would like to take the floor. I assume there was an agenda, mine hasn't actually arrived.

Posted on 14 Oct 2011, 00:14:51 BST
Spiralise says:
OK. No one wants the floor.

Well. I guess I'd better um ... Fellow Writers Who Like To Press Trousers, it's been another tumultous year for us. First Magnus and his submarine episode, and then the Pressamte 2300 Trouser Press - in beech finishing, which caused such uproar at the Dulwich branch. As a result of their actions, the Dulwich branch of Writers Who Like To Press Trousers has now been placed on the Metropolitan Police's list of organisations to be monitored. I repeat the words of the their chairman, this was an isolated incident. To date, the Pressamte 2300 Trouser Press - in beech finishing, has had no other adverse affects among the members of Writers Who Like To Press Trousers.

OK. I think we can break for a ... can we? Yes. A drink.

Posted on 16 Oct 2011, 00:33:10 BST
Spiralise says:
Welcome back. And remember, Writers Who Like To Press Trousers, are sponsored by Virtual Assassin - political fiction with a thrill.

Now, we've had a letter from Elaine Campbell, she writes to tell us that, for jeans, the Crease Master 17 cannot be beaten. For a crisp clean line, she reccomends an extra three seconds on each press.

Ah, I'm getting a text ... oh, it's from Magnus. One moment, please.

Posted on 19 Oct 2011, 12:03:59 BST
Spiralise says:
OK - for those of you who avoided arrest on the 16th Oct, can I just say it may be best to stay low for a while. The actions of Magnus have put us all in danger and if you haven't already been contacted by the authorities, it is sure you will be soon.

There will be a clandestine meeting of WWLTPT, but of course, I can not disclose location or date. Please keep an eye on the usual outlets for updates.

Thank you.

Posted on 19 Oct 2011, 14:04:34 BST
Remote Control. It only got one rejection before I put it on Kindle. Here it is from Dan Mallory of Sphere. Following up on Remote Control. Short version: I'm going to pass. Longer version: I do so fully aware that you've got a very talented author on your hands. The writing is crisp and clean, the dialogue distinctively edgy, and the plot very smoothly engineered. That said, I wasn't especially taken with the protagonist, who seemed to me rather difficult to like, and I worry that some of the book's more serrated edges would rub a broad readership the wrong way.

While I'm going to pass, I wish you much luck with the project, and I can't wait to see where John lands. Thanks again very much for letting me take a look.

It starts with the hero engaged in a three day drink and drugs binge! First serrated edge!!

Posted on 25 Oct 2011, 11:30:22 BST
Spiralise says:
Thanks, John, an invaluable addition to the discussion. And thanks for the taking the time to call me about your trouser-pressing habit. It can be difficult when we press to much, but stay strong and you'll get through this period.

Now - I have here and email from Steven Grimes of Northern Ireland - he suggests that Virtual Assassin goes perfectly with the Neatomatic PT400 Trouser Press (available at all good outlets). Steven goes on to say that he likes to press his trousers and read books at the same time, naked and ... smeared in duck fat?

OK - moving on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (400 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  12 Oct 2011
Latest post:  25 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer