Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

'Made for TV Movies' that should get released on DVD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2010 21:42:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2010 23:32:31 BDT
Mark Mixture says:
There are some fantastic made for TV Movies or mini series that don't ever seem to get released on DVD. Which ones would you like to see getting released? My top three would be;

'Son of the Morning Star'

'Will you love me tomorrow'

'Mr Corbett's Ghost'

I don't suppose anyone knows if any of these will ever get released?

Posted on 4 Nov 2010 13:47:33 GMT
poppy says:
No, sorry. Does anyoneone know if the tv series (six i think) wicked women are on dvd? I remember watching them in the 1970's...or possibly even the 60's!

Posted on 5 Nov 2010 10:55:10 GMT
Gav.76 says:
The Loneliest Runner, a made-for-tv movie from 1976 deserves a DVD release!!
Lance Kerwin as the bed-wetter who escapes from his dreary life by running.
This film haunted me since I saw it as a kid. I have a dodgy looking VHS to DVD transfer, would love a proper official release.

Posted on 5 Nov 2010 10:57:13 GMT
Gav.76 says:
Just thought of two more - John Carpenter's "Someone's Watching Me" from 1978 - scared the life outta me as a kid! And Hotline (1982) starring Linda Carter - great suspense movie with genuine chills towards the end as she gets chased by a scissor-wielding maniac!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2010 09:05:22 GMT
Gregory G. says:
SON OF THE MORNING STAR
The Americans have been screaming about this for years.
The best depiction of 'Custer's Last Stand'ever done,with Gary Cole playing a superb Custer.
If a million Americans cannot shift the studios who can?

Posted on 11 Nov 2010 18:23:03 GMT
Mark Mixture says:
Does this mean Son of the Morning Star will never see the light of day then? I sincerely hope not - been waiting for this for years!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2010 21:12:39 GMT
Gregory G. says:
Hello Mark,
Unfortunately Son of the Morning Star has never been digitally remastered.I have a D.V.D copied from a V.H.S tape,the quality is none to good but it is the best I can find.
I got it from http://raremovies.biz/
Regards,
Greg.

Posted on 11 Nov 2010 23:08:26 GMT
Mark Mixture says:
Hi Greg,
Thanks for that......I have just purchased it for £6.99 bargain!

Posted on 12 Nov 2010 01:38:08 GMT
Gregory G. says:
Hello Mark,
Enjoy!
As I said the quality is not 100% especially the first half but persist!
Did you know that they play this at West Point as the most historically accurate depiction of the tactical moves of the battle?
Also for the first time the 7th Cavalry is accurately portrayed,dirty motley uniforms,campaign hats ,straw hats and all!
Regards,
Greg.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 01:52:23 GMT
I. Lembcke says:
Someone's Watching Me is available on DVD a nice cheap RC1 as an import and a RC2 with the german title "das unsichtbare auge" but as the info right here on amazon says english sound (not verified). I bought the RC1 directly from amazon.com, might be cheaper that way. I am not sure wether the RC1-Disk really has a set regioncode, but you would need a regionfree (codefree) DVD-Player. Most cheap ones are, the more expansive ones can be chipped (for a price).

Posted on 14 Nov 2010 09:35:21 GMT
DIRKIE!does anyone remember this about a little boy lost in the desert? haunted me for yrs this,iv wanted this on dvd for ever!

Posted on 14 Nov 2010 23:06:21 GMT
Samantha J. says:
Two that should definitely be released in the UK are 'Special Bulletin' and 'Without Warning'. Out in the U.S. but not here. Brilliant movies

Posted on 17 Nov 2010 17:05:44 GMT
MarciaM says:
The Jericho Mile great movie made for HBO here in the states. Starring Peter Strauss as an inmate with a talent for running. Great soundtrack featuring the rolling stones sympathy for the devil. Brian Dennehy as a hard case fellow inmate, I've always liked him. Would love to see this on dvd!

Posted on 24 Nov 2010 16:33:45 GMT
Mark Mixture says:
Son of the morning star has arrived and the quality is surprisingly good! Cheers for the info Gregory

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2010 18:02:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2010 12:02:06 GMT
Clox says:
Hi Mark

Mr Corbett's Ghost was released years ago and is hard to find, but..!! I've just bought it on ebay (do worldwide search; its in Australia from seller 'plidream'), and it's also available from 'ukrarities.com'.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2010 10:45:15 GMT
Mark Mixture says:
Thanks Chloe...I will check it out.

Posted on 1 Jan 2011 23:51:02 GMT
I watched When Harvey Met Bob over Xmas on BBC2, telling the story of how Bob Geldof got the stars together for the Band Aid single and then how he got Live Aid off and running. It was such an amazing watch and an absolute necessity to put next to your Live Aid DVD.

Please can anyone tell me if they see this on DVD

Posted on 4 Jan 2011 16:55:32 GMT
A made for TV film I would love to get is 'A Captain's Tale' starring Dennis Waterman, Richard Griffiths and Tim Healy. It is about the the first football World Cup where non league West Auckland represented England, and defeated the mighty Juventus (strange but true!). The story is moving and the humour touching.

It was released on video, but I've never seen it on DVD.

Posted on 4 Jan 2011 20:16:56 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Jan 2011 21:21:45 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2011 20:45:03 GMT
T. Borras says:
Hi, Mark, I've never even heard of Son of the Morning Star but based on the posts here and my admiration for Gary Cole I'm going to order it from the outlet Greg Pomfret kindly shared with us. Meanwhile, this subject you broached is so painful to think about. :) Here are some entries.

Two of the greatest, critically-acclaimed and award-laden, made-for-tv movies (US) come to mind immediately, both based on real events about which the full truth was never really established:

*The Murder of Mary Phagan*, starring Jack Lemmon; this was available on vhs years ago, 2 tapes, but went oop fast, and has never made it to dvd. Brilliant.

*The Legend of Lizzie Borden*, mesmerizing performance by Elizabeth Montgomery, was on tv in the mid-70's and after so many years certain breathtaking, blood-drenched scenes haunt me still. A real cult movie favorite that was available bootleg in the US at some point on vhs but I was never able to find a copy.

British minis:

*A Pin to See the Peepshow*, starred young and beguiling Francesca Annis, can't recall if this was a Masterpiece Theater or Mystery! mini, anyway has never been on either vhs or dvd (in US or UK) and it was great. Also based on a true story and adapted from the book (excellent reading/recommended if it's not oop) of the same name.

Now, the next two *were* Mystery! presentations:

*Die Kinder*, starring Miranda Richardson (need one say more), wonderful, never released even on vhs much less dvd.

And, that in which Diana Rigg chilled viewers to the very bone -- *Mother Love*. Incomparable. Fortunately I taped this from tv as it's never been released on vhs or dvd. Everyone should be able to see this.

One last important entry, neither a movie nor a mini, in a class by itself really. *The Engagement*, a short (30-45 minutes) Tom Stoppard play from the bbc, adapted from his radio play "The Dissolution of Dominic Boot" (I sought out a book of his radio plays out of frustration because I knew I'd never see this again and that's how I found out the name of the play since not knowing what we were getting into the one time this was broadcast on pbs we didn't pay attention when the program started.) This is possibly the most hilarious play I've ever seen (I watched this with my mom and we were both weeping intermittently) rivaled only by a couple of the Python sketches and, significantly, part one (Table Manners) of *The Norman Conquests* which is, as usual, not available anywhere so we could add this to our list although it has been out on dvd before (lovely set) so there's hope for a reissue one supposes. This was actually issued on three separate (vs boxed) gorgeous vhs tapes (well the cases are unbelievably plush and beautiful both to the eye and touch) in the US in the '80's, costing $60 a piece (can you imagine). My very generous mother (who was as much in love with the plays as I so the purchase wasn't totally altruistic) made me a gift of them and they are my most treasured videos even though I bought the dvds here at ama.co.uk a few years back. Pardon the sentimental memories but you did ask the sort of question that provokes such things. I guess (paraphrasing somebody/some cliche) it's better to have watched and thereafter pined in vain to see again than never to have watched at all, best wishes,

Trina (in DC in the US)

Posted on 5 Jan 2011 14:09:01 GMT
Th best movie that I have ever seen that was released for TV only is Nick Roeg's Heart of Darkness with Tim Roth. Staggeringly good - how I wish I could get it on DVD. Also starred John Malkovitch - hard to believe it never made the big screen.

Posted on 8 Jan 2011 13:14:39 GMT
vera says:
i would love to see a film i saw when i was little about karen carpenter the singers true life story, also footprints in the sand starrng caroline quentin, mrs mandella as shown last year on the bbc, hancock and joan also on the bbc, and the silence shown on the bbc of which i only got to see the first part

i keep looking but no luck yet

regards

Posted on 9 Jan 2011 08:15:33 GMT
I would like to see the 1989 TV Movie 'Confessional' released to DVD. The story is by Jack HIGGINS and tells of an Irishman trained as a KGB operative Thomas KELLY [ Robert LINDSAY ]. He has been brainwashed by mind plant suggestion to take on an alternate identity as a priest, with the task of assassinating the Pope. He faces great emotional strain as he struggles to reconcile his faith in God with his godless KGB alter ego.

A long term friend Liam DEVLIN [ Keith CARRADINE ], a former IRA hitman, discovers his identity and task and sets out to stop him, helped by the now adult daughter of a Russian actor who, as a child, saw her father killed by KELLY.

Roger DESHON, Toowoomba

Posted on 15 Jan 2011 23:03:41 GMT
Mark Mixture says:
I have just thought of another one - the magnificent 'Looking after Jo Jo' starring Robert Carlyle. It was from the late nineties and I have it on video somewhere but would love to see it get a release on DVD.

Posted on 16 Jan 2011 13:07:43 GMT
Brotherhood of the Bell [Glen Ford] and What I did in my Summer Holidays (I think thats what its called) [Robert Wagner] both have stuck in my mind for 30 years. Either they were very good or I am a bit sad.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (645 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  45
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  30 Oct 2010
Latest post:  9 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions