Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

can you suggest a new boxset for me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Sep 2012 23:28:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Sep 2012 23:50:34 BDT
A.B. says:
ODue to ill health, I am watching lots of DVD boxset at the moment. I am looking for a new one. Here's what I've watched and enjoyed:

Gossip Girl
90210 (new)
vampire diaries
glee
ally mcbeal
brothers and sisters
ugly betty
charmed
Grey's anatomy
Gilmore girls
fringe
Greek
lost
supernatural (currently watching series 3 and will be watching all the rest too)
Dropl dead diva
private practice
vicar of dibley
Miranda
gavin & stacey
stella
two and a half men
big bang theory
30 rock
Cold feet
castle

Based on this list, can anyone suggest a new show for me to watch?
Thanks!

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 02:10:10 BDT
devilzchick says:
hi hope you feel better soon..

failing skies (aliens)
walking dead (only if you watch zomibe movies)
terra nova (havent seen it yet but heard good things)
burn notice
do you like csi shows if so
ncsi
ncsi Los Angeles
theres csi mami
csi las vegas
Hawaii Five-0
i see you liked castle what about
human target
dollhouse (loved it)
the desdern files
dark angel
tru calling
moonlight
leverage

hope the list helps

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2012 11:11:06 BDT
A.B. says:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check those out. Terra nova is a good show (but the quality varies a bit from ep to ep). I wouldn't bother with it though because it got cancelled and they were obviously banking on a season 2- there is a big cliffhanger at the end and very little gets resolved. It's a shame it wasn't renewed- once it got off the ground it really was quite good.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2012 15:02:31 BDT
H. A. Lynch says:
How about

Spiral - rivetting French crime series
Lie to Me - Tim Roth as a deception expert
Mad Men - advertising in the 50s and 60s
Sportsnight - comedy about a TV sports show; written by Aaron Sorkin of 'West Wing' fame
The Good Wife - cracking legal series
Boston Legal/The Practice/Picket Fences - brilliant stuff from the creative mind of David. E Kelly

Enjoy

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 01:57:55 BDT
completely disagree with devilz chick bout doll house. really disappointed me. do love burn notice, ncis and human target tho. really annoying that the latter isn't available on region 2. x-files, 24, sliders, buffy, angel, dark skies, farscape, dark angel, supernatural, sanctuary, happy endings, how i met your mother, dawsons creek, hard times of rj berger, the it crowd, how not to live your life, red dwarf, black books, jonathan creek. tried to cover a broad spectrum of genres for you. hope this is useful.

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 15:11:15 BDT
Keith F says:
I'd recommend the following:

Prison Break
An Idiot Abroad - both series are very funny
Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Battlestar Galactica (2004 remake - start with the mini series first)
Game of Thrones
Firefly

Should keep you going

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 11:49:25 BDT
If you liked Fringe I think you will certainly enjoy Dollhouse too. While not identical they have a similar feel.
I'd recommend Pushing Daisies as well. It combines elements of Crime, Drama, Comedy and Romance and I can guarantee you'll be hooked by the first episode. It feels a little like Ugly Betty, which I also loved.
Finally Firefly - if you like Nathan Fillion as Castle you will probably like him as a younger man in Firefly. Castle often makes reference to Firefly and you might find that you'll pick up on some of the in-jokes. Castle aside though, Firefly is a top series.

Hope these ideas help!

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 11:52:15 BDT
A.B. says:
Thanks for all the latest suggestions. I will slowly work my way through them . I should be set for a while :)

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 21:09:56 BDT
nk99 says:
Most of them have been mentioned by others, but all of the Joss Whedon shows are worth watching, in my opinion - Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. Some of the best sci-fi/fantasy TV ever - very witty scripts, and also quite thought-provoking at times.

Since you like Miranda, have you watched Not Going Out? (I've never seen Miranda, so I don't know how similar they are, but she was in the earlier series of NGO). I've also enjoyed Rev, Peep Show, Lead Balloon, How Not to Live Your Life, Grandma's House, and How I Met Your Mother in recent years.

I've found people who like Gilmore Girls often like Frasier, and people who like 30 Rock often like Arrested Development.

Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 22:50:48 BDT
Goodfella says:
Nikita. Once you start watching you can't stop.

Posted on 10 Sep 2012 09:48:38 BDT
Twin Peaks

Posted on 12 Sep 2012 17:31:04 BDT
Early Doors series 1 & 2 box set will be the best £7.89 you could spend. I've never met anybody who saw it on the BBC, and it is better the The Royle Family. Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 20:55:56 BDT
HH says:
you must get Ugly Betty series 1 2 and 3 it cheers me up no end when i have a rubbish day i watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 19:18:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2012 19:21:51 BDT
Moletown says:
'Northern Exposure', 'Spaced' and 'Not Going Out'. Get well soon.

Posted on 17 Sep 2012 14:17:42 BDT
Lots of good stuff mentioned above, I'll just put in another word for the genuinely excellent following:

Boston legal
Good wife
Mad men

and, though you might have to order it from France, Friday Night Lights.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2012 20:17:04 BDT
Taken
Afterlife
Eureka
Jericho (sadly only 1 1/2 series made)
Six feet under
Kingdom hospital
Being human
The fades
Hope you get well soon
Steve H

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2012 23:50:47 BDT
Mike Hampton says:
How about the boxed set of the T.V series Budgie from the early 70's starring Adam Faith.There's a really good supporting cast headed by Ian Cuthbertson as Charlie Endell.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012 09:25:41 BDT
I hope you feel better soon, my fav for feel good factory and its sheer clever funny and ridiculous characters has got to be the wonderful "Black Adder" series

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012 10:49:07 BDT
Ms. S. Quinn says:
I only saw a part of one episode one night of Early Doors when I was channel surfing and then not knowing the name or it etc. could not find it anywhere and I don't think it was ever repeated on TV. Then just happened to find it in the list of `what other people have bought' when I ordered another DVD. Having watched the whole of the 1st series straight through in 2 days I agree it is one of the best series ever made. It is as if you are in the pub yourself enjoying the banter. And I think you are right it is better than the Royle family which I really love....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 19:49:41 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Dexter - Seasons 1-5 Complete [DVD] - currently only £28, a bargain!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2012 13:15:43 BDT
Robert Bruce says:
Game of thrones, Rome, The Tudors, Carnivale, Deadwood, The wire & of course chucklevision

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 19:02:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 19:02:51 BDT
Alas nobody mentioned the best series ever (and mother of all newer ones...): Profit

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 11:27:25 BDT
Dave says:
King Of Queens - One of the funniest programs ever
Sopranos - Simply best program i have ever seen
Deadwood - Fantastic show based on the gold rush
Six Feet Under - Brillant show about a family who run a funeral home
The Wire - Best cop program ever
Oz - Brutal but brillant show based on prison life
The Shield - Very very good cop show

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 17:22:21 BDT
R. G. Hancox says:
hi, i would highly,highly recomment these boxsets-

the west wing - 7 series, about £50 for the lot - probably the best writing and characters i have ever seen in any show.
all series of 24 - worth the hype.
game of thrones - i have just watched the first series - brilliant.
band of brothers - an absolute tv classic
the pacific - very good

Posted on 10 Oct 2012 00:45:30 BDT
I wish every question I was asked was this easy.

Entourage - I was so upset when I finished the series as I felt I had lost some friends!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (646 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  4 Sep 2012
Latest post:  18 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers