Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

TV Dramas about, or set in, England and the UK

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2012, 23:18:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2012, 23:19:14 GMT
Much as I love American series like Deadwood, The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire, I'm getting really tired of watching dramas about a country I have no affinity with. The exception would be Rome, a HBO & BBC production with British actors. Excellent stuff.

Can anyone recommend me any quality British dramas I might find more relatable? While imperfect, The Hour, Downton Abbey, Sherlock and Luther are some of my favourite Brit productions.

I usually favour Historical/Period, Sci-Fi and Fantasy and avoid crime/thrillers (except Luther ofc.)

Posted on 29 Dec 2012, 01:19:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012, 01:22:11 GMT
Bodie says:
Even though they were made decades ago, my wife and I have enjoyed watching "When the Boat Comes In" (When The Boat Comes In : Complete BBC Collection (24 Disc Box Set) [2007] [DVD]) (4 series), "By the Sword Divided" (2 series), this version of "Ivanhoe" (Ivanhoe [DVD]), any of the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett, and "Nanny" (Nanny : Complete BBC Series [1981] [DVD]) with Wendy Craig.

I'm also fond of "I, Claudius" (I Claudius - Complete BBC Series (5 Disc Box Set) [1976] [DVD]), "Lovejoy" (Lovejoy - The Complete Collection [DVD]), and, for a good bit of fun, "Whodunnit" (Whodunnit - The Complete Series 3 [DVD]).

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012, 18:51:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012, 18:54:47 GMT
ks-cologne says:
What about "Cranford"?
Cranford Collection Box Set [DVD]

Or "The Tudors"?
The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD]

Posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:56:48 GMT
gille liath says:
Brideshead Revisited is an obvious choice, or Pennies From Heaven. I, Claudius, already mentioned, is (though brilliant) obviously not about Britain. Unless you count Peter Bowles' cameo as Caractacus...

Posted on 25 May 2015, 08:11:13 BST
Marianne M. says:
rosemound pike family drama on tv

Posted on 25 May 2015, 16:43:05 BST
ric_mac says:
Edge Of Darkness - The Complete Series [1985] [DVD]
Shooting the Past (1999) [DVD]
The Jewel In The Crown: The Complete Series [DVD]
Sleepers [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (sadly, not widely available)
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling [Repackaged] [DVD] [1997]
Bleak House - BBC (3 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2005] (or most BBC adaptions of Dickens)

Posted on 14 Jun 2015, 03:59:29 BST
Greg Chapman says:
The Pallisers, The Flambards, Tanimara, The Orchid House, The Omega Factor, The Hammer House Of Horror, Moodial, The Moonstone, Bugs, The Corridor People, Survivors, Star Cops, Howard's Way, The Lotus Eaters, Who Pays The Ferryman, The Scarlet Pimpernel (with Richard E. Grant).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2015, 09:36:15 BST
Rowena says:
You and me both Greg. Having watched who pays the ferryman, the lotus eaters, survivors - series made all those years ago, there were some wonderful programmes compared to the mundane stuff on tv today with few exceptions.

Posted on 14 Jun 2015, 12:13:13 BST
Nice to see this thread revived after two and a half years. Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Must say I was hoping for more recent productions though!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2015, 03:09:55 BST
Greg Chapman says:
I'm glad you agree Rowena. I wasn't even born when they were originally transmitted but I would much rather watch shows from then. Even shows when I was growing up were better than most of the shows now. Especially dramas.
The Chief, The Vice, Thief Takers, Chiller, Pie In The Sky, The House Of Elliot, Bugs.
Children's dramas too.
Escape From (and later) Return To Jupiter, Dark Season, Century Falls, Ship-To-Shore, The Famous Five with Jemima Rooper, Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Spatz, Kappatoo,
Earthfasts (which gave me nightmares), Smokescreen (the last BBC children's drama made on film).

Posted on 15 Jun 2015, 16:36:20 BST
Redwick says:
Lost Empires, the original Miss Marple (with Joan Hickson) and Inspector Morse.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2015, 09:21:38 BST
Ickle Owl says:
I'd like to add Call The Midwife, which has has me hooked since the first episode. Merlin is a firm favourite, and for children's shows Box of Delights and Sapphire and Steele although old, would stand the test of time, I believe
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (649 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  28 Dec 2012
Latest post:  5 Jul 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers