Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

SUBTITLES FOR DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 4 May 2011 11:29:20 BDT
I have written to Amazon severel times about this problem! If you all write them too, maybe they will start to listen!!:) Last time I wrote I was really angry (because the first time they answered that the information was availible and that is an effing downright LIE) - they apologized and said that I could write them and ask about each item, but that´s pretty annoying too! So bombard them with mails about this!!!:)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 12:27:55 BDT
J. Nijenhuis says:
I could not agree more. My english is fairly good but spoken english in a series can be a real problem and the lack of information on this point is often the reason not to buy

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 13:49:25 BDT
minnie mouse says:
I was hoping to buy Murdoch Mysteries but there is no info. on Amazon re. subtitles. The attitude of Amazon to subtitltles is more of a mystery than the
detective stories themselves. I only buy DVDs with Subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 13:52:50 BDT
minnie mouse says:
Your info.in your reviews is very helpful. I am trying to discover whether or not
Murdoch Mysteries has subtitles. You need to be a detective to discover the whereabouts of Subtitles in Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 13:58:30 BDT
minnie mouse says:
Yes Jeeves and Wooster has good subtitles-I am watching it at the moment.
The Collectors Boxset of Yes Minister and Yes prime Minister has English subtitles.

Posted on 4 May 2011 14:06:13 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
I thank you all very much to prticipate in this dicussion, and I understand your disappointing on this subject, but
at present my proposal is asking each other for this info...., s so maybe we will get if there are or not subtitles in
our puchases.
Dear Janne I do not want to start a cruisade ......I only want to help each other with this information. Ask me if
you have doubts on a series if I can I will answer you immediately.
Kind regards
fleurbleue

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 14:13:44 BDT
Anita says:
Minnie Mouse, Murdoch Mysteries have English HOH subtitles. Of course I can't be sure about not yet released season 4

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 14:43:35 BDT
YES, YES, YES, the presence /absence of subtitles for Hard of Hearing SHOULD always be part of the product information.
I refuse to buy the DVDs of Maigret as I understand they do not have subtitles and it will be a complete waste of money for me. I would love to ask the producers why they can not bring out an updated version with subtitles. After all 1 in 7 people in the UK have hearing problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 16:25:57 BDT
Lasse Korpi says:
i am a danish man and i need subtitles ....... i cant understand why is there no subtitles. I was bying all seasons of the universe and i think i only get 60% understanding this series. It is a bad thing because the subtitles shuld be easy too inset. The same series in danish television is with subtitles . . . so morale must be All EU country subtitles must be a part of the box everytime.
AND AMAZON TELL OS CLEARLY -IS THERE SUBTITLES OR NOT

Good summer to all of you

Lasse

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 16:47:24 BDT
hi Book Lady
i have the same problem with Amazon, however of late i have noticed that more and more dvd releases on Amazon state there are sub-titles. Therefore i would presume rightly or wrongly that if Amazon does not say sub-titles, then you can presume there aren't any.

Another thing i suggest is go to the forum and ask. There have been series like waking the dead that have not had sub-titles and in later seasons they have been added.

Lastly i have just bought hearing-aids and i really can hear a lot better, but for me the sub-titles really do help.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 16:54:52 BDT
regina says:
what should be the reason for not using subtitles in the films? it should be opcional for those who buys the films. As you saY, it has happened that I bought films with "closed captioned" written in the box , but I was disapointed to see that it was not true. Is it really a mistery?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 17:05:58 BDT
Anita says:
Ronald Markus,
sorry, but your information is incorrect. ALL the seasons of Waking the Dead starting with the very first DO HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES. If you have bought some other than UK release, (say, Dutch) then I do not know. But ALL THOSE HAVE SUBTITLES:
Waking The Dead : Complete BBC Series 1 [2001] [DVD]Waking The Dead : Complete BBC Series 2 [2001] [DVD]Waking The Dead : Complete BBC Series 3 [2001] [DVD]
Waking The Dead - Series 4 [DVD] [2001]Waking The Dead : Complete BBC Series 5 [2005] [DVD]Waking The Dead - Series 6 [DVD]Waking the Dead - Series 7 [DVD]Waking the Dead - Series 8 [DVD]

Posted on 5 May 2011 04:32:25 BDT
This is absolutely a good idea, Amazon should mention whether or not there are subtitles or captions! I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, but I do have an auditory-processing learning disability, and captions make it a LOT easier for me to understand TV and movies. (I have trouble understanding what I hear sometimes -- and foreign accents sometimes make it worse.....) I'm also American, and I'm considering buying some DVDs from the Amazon UK website (since I LOVE British shows), but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a multi-region player and the DVDs unless I know whether or not they have subtitles or captions....

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2011 10:36:54 BDT
minnie mouse says:
Thankyou very much Anita. I have emailed Amazon and they agree that Murdoch Mysteries has subtitles and so I can go ahead and buy it now. Why it is not mentioned in their Product Information is a mystery even Murdoch would not be able to solve. I have complained again for the umpteeneth time.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2011 10:40:45 BDT
minnie mouse says:
I agree Andrea. I have bought DVDs and because I cannot hear the dialogue clearly have had to give them away to charity. Now I endeavour to make sure that Subtitles are provided before I buy.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2011 17:24:19 BDT
minnie mouse says:
It is difficult to understand why the popular Maigret DVDs don't have subtitles.
I was hoping to buy the whole series of Midsummer Murders but I believe that they don't have subtitles either.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2011 17:29:17 BDT
minnie mouse says:
I'm afraid that you can't assume that if Amazon does not say sutitles in their product info. then there are no subtitles. I have just contacted them about Murdoch Mysteries -they say that the DVD has subtitles although it is not recorded in the product info.

Posted on 5 May 2011 20:25:29 BDT
only me says:
I have lost most of my hearing and am now profoundly deaf and therefore am totally reliant on subtitles. I agree that Amazon should list this information for all DVDs as a matter of course. I don't understand why they don't! I for one don't buy DVDs unless it states there are subtitles, so they are potentially losing a sale by not listing subtitle information. Hope we can keep this discussion going until Amazon takes notice.

Posted on 5 May 2011 21:20:22 BDT
Ben says:
thank you for this discussion!!!

Posted on 6 May 2011 01:39:24 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
Can anybody tell me if Maccallum series have english subtitles please ???
Thanks in advance ,
fleurbleue

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 09:19:44 BDT
Dear only me.I am not deaf,but hard of hearing and have recently purchased two hearing aids which have made life easy for me. I completely agree with you that we must pressure Amazon for sub-title info.

Having said all this my late dad was deaf period! His local council installed a special device under the carpet near the television and in his final years was able to listen to the t.v. Worth checking out, although I do not know where you live. Point being that we deaf have rights and sometimes we have to be a bit pushy to get them.

Last point, having followed this discussion for some time now, maybe we can petition Amazon to get them to clearly state subtitles or no subtitles

Wish you luck

Ronnie

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 10:32:46 BDT
minnie mouse says:
Yes "only me" they are losing a lot of sales-not only from deaf people but also from those who speak little or no English at home and abroad who wish to watch
English DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 15:04:38 BDT
Lasse Korpi says:
Yes Minnie you absolut right. If i should use my time to understand the speek in movies i miss a lot of the pictures because my school english is not the best in town. So i need this subtitles or at least info about is there or not subs on this dvd.
Love
Donald Duck :-)

Posted on 6 May 2011 16:06:19 BDT
L. McWilliam says:
Perhaps the best way is to make Amazon realize that it's a question of economics:
DVD + no subtitle information = lost sale
DVD + information = sale
The rate of Deafness is 1 in 1000 and for Hard of Hearing is much much higher. If we start a petition and get amazon to realize that Deaf and HOH people aren't all elderly grannies who don't know how to use the internet, perhaps they will provide the information needed to avoid losing custom.

Otherwise, do we go down the route of invoking the Disability Discrimination Act (UK)? They have to make their store accessible to those with "disabilities". If they fail to provide information that is necessary for their Deaf/HOH customers to use the store, that's illegal. Do we threaten to invoke this? Even if it isn't possible to have them prosecuted the negative publicity might make them back down.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 16:39:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2011 16:43:50 BDT
I really agree with you, but you refer to Amazon U.K buyers and there are a lot of us ex-pats and foreigners living abroad who either suffer from hearing problems or just do not understand enough of the lingo to enjoy dvd's. I have just spent 2000 quid on hearing aids, but still need the sub-titles. Not everyone can finance them, but my hearing got so bad i did not have an alternative. I belong to the forum below, and maybe we could post a comment and see what they can do.
http://www.hearingaidforums.co.uk/index.php

I rely heavily on Amazon for dvd's as the t.v in general here is pure rubbish and there is very little to watch except National Geographic and a thing called BBC Prime.

I am sure there enough of us to start a petition, so i say let's go for it. If you want to start the ball rolling, then go ahead, i am sure we will get a lot of support !!

p.s as you can see there have been 200 posts so far on this forum. Multiply 200 by an average of ten quid, and we are talking about a serious amount of money !
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (645 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  379
Total posts:  1951
Initial post:  7 Jan 2009
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 48 customers

Search Customer Discussions