Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Save 'The Paradise'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 209 posts in this discussion
Posted on 10 Mar 2014 19:55:09 GMT
Katherine says:
I didn't watch 'Mr Selfridge' but I got the impression from the abundance of advertising that it is NOT at all like 'The Paradise'. 'The Paradise' is unique and therefore deserves a place on our screens. The fact that it is fiction makes it no less inspirational. Take series 2, episode 3 (music hall episode) for example, and Moray's speech about the investment he has made in his employees. Surely, in this financial climate, we need stories that promote and encourage original thinking.

So, why did you watch 'The Paradise'? If you watched both 'The Paradise' and 'Mr Selfridge', how did they differ? Is there room for both? If, like me, you are loyal only to 'The Paradise', why must it return?

The campaign continues....

Posted on 10 Mar 2014 20:07:14 GMT
Noel says:
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/bbc-we-want-series3

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-Paradise/457567304372539

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2014 21:40:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2014 10:04:01 GMT
I just watched a few episodes of ' Mr. Selfridge ' when it was shown in Sweden last spring. Don't really know why I didn't like it because it was really well made, but it did not grab me so I lost interest in to following it. Much advertising in the Swedish press before did not help. Later this year ( summer), less advertising in the Swedish press when television viewership in Sweden drops because people are more out there and enjoying the summer . So appears "The Paradise" up .... same theme as Mr. Selfridge..... Men and a department store. Ok I thought may give it a shot and see if I like this better .... and I really did, was fixed immediately and searched on the internet and found groups on Facebook that talked about this wonderful series. Then turned out that Sweden had seen a shorter version than what the original was when I looked up how long the episodes were. We have always previously seen the same length as they did in England. There were protests sent to Swedish TV (several) who apologized for summer employees. Then when season 2 was shown in England so could I not wait a whole year before we would see it in Sweden again (this autumn) so I managed to find one link on Internet where I could see whole season 2.
And my interest in this series has just grown and grown and I just want much more of it especially when the end of season 2 was not very good so we desperately need at least one more season, maybe more.

And of course there is room for both of these series when the taste is different.

But for me can... Mr. Selfridge never could....never be...a substitute for The Paradise.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2014 22:07:14 GMT
Cindee says:
I've enjoyed both. While it's entertaining, Mr. Selfridge does not have the great love story that The Paradise has. I think that's one of the many things that makes The Paradise so special. Yes, they both take place in a department store but that's about the only similarity. The stories are completely different so I'd say there's room for both. However, if I had to choose just one, it would without a doubt be, The Paradise.

I've watched all 16 episodes of The Paradise several times and each time I see something I've missed. Since I know how it turns out, I pay more attention to detail, in the characters and settings. The nuances of their acting is really interesting. SPOILER ALERT...my heart just broke for Katherine in series 2 episode 7 when she tells Moray that she can no longer meet with him but obviously her emotions get the better of her and she kisses him only to have him to turn away from her. I felt the anguish that they both conveyed. And in Series 2 episode 2, the look on Mr. Weston's face when Jonas tells him that he's observed Clémence with members of the opposite sex then he realizes that Moray has known all along, it's superb.

The Paradise is just great entertainment. Interesting story, great writing, convincing acting, beautiful scenery...everything about it wonderful. The BBC is crazy for cancelling it. I know here in the US (at least I didn't see it) there was zip for advertising. Had they gotten the word out, I have no doubt that it would have pulled in as many viewers as Downton Abbey. I still haven't seen any figures showing how well it did in the US or the rest of the world. Has anyone?

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 20:13:45 GMT
I will admit, I have watched season 1 & 2 of Mr. Selfridge, & here in the US, season 3 will be airing on PBS this Spring. I liked this show, it's costumes are beautiful & the story is an interesting one, but because I am not a fan of Jeremy Piven it didn't hold the same magic for me as The Paradise. The Paradise is so much more than a beautiful production! The leading actors are not ones I was familiar with here in the US, yet I was immediately hooked by their performances from the very beginning. I am now a huge fan of Emun Elliott's. I search the internet for anything I can find that he's appeared in. I've seen some of his early work & whether it's comedy or drama, he excels at what he does. I think he is extremely gifted. Of course, in my opinion, he is stunning, to look at, BUT, that only adds to his tremendous capability in front of the camera & on the stage. The other actors in this series are wonderful too, all the way down to Finn Burridge, who plays young Arthur. All of them together brought so much to this well written story.
I've read on the internet, most of the reviews the publications here in the US & in the UK have written about The Paradise. There were quite a few & only one had a slightly negative tone to it. So, how could the BBC cancel a show that's been praised in print & watched by 5-6 million people? There are blogs about it, & fan pages dedicated to it...mind boggling to say the least!
I want to see The Paradise brought back. Mr. Gallagher's adaptation of Emil Zola's book is wonderful! I read the book, & while I found it interesting, I think Mr. Gallagher's words brought to life on the screen were so much better. Please, bring back this great production....I am so upset about this decision!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2014 21:21:08 GMT
Katherine, I made the same observation in series 2, episode 3. I used to plan after-tax parties, summer outings, holiday parties, and various other events for an accounting firm, and these type of employee functions are very important. The staff really looked forward to them. Not only do they show management's appreciation for its staff, but it also boosts morale. I, too, was very impressed with this story line because I could relate to it and for its timeliness.

Posted on 16 Mar 2014 23:48:03 GMT
KKMCT says:
Please save The Paradise or I will have to just watch the 2 DVDs over and over!

Posted on 25 Mar 2014 22:57:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 23:00:04 GMT
I decided to check out a few episodes of Mr. Selfridge, since it was being compared to The Paradise, that I loved so much, and here is what I feel the core difference is: Sex Sells. While The Paraside had several strands of story going at once, and plenty of romance, I was completely comfortable watching it with my young daughter and thinking about how some of the things we take for granted, or even think old fashioned were once as new and 'high-tech' as iPhones. But for all the romance, most was left to the imagination, and it was suitable family viewing. I would not be able to say the same for Mr. Selfridge. It may be a story about a confident guy of modest means creating an ambitious and creative department store, but there's where the similarity ends. Everything from the music to the staging and how much is shown to the viewer scream that this is meant to titillate and otherwise attract through our love of watching what we can't usually see, but I would not be able to share it with my daughter nearly as comfortably as we could share our Sunday evenings at The Paradise. Please give us some more!!

Posted on 26 Mar 2014 04:25:42 GMT
I'm really disappointed that Downton Abby continues to drivel on with endless seasons and no particular destination of plot in mind while a show that promises to actually develop to a satisfying conclusion at some distant point is cancelled. Who cares about Lady Mary? I want to know what is in Denises's future!

Posted on 1 Apr 2014 14:21:20 BDT
F. Fryer says:
The Paradise from BBC One deserves to be saved. Although I understand the need to not drag something out beyond its 'sell-by' date, I am convinced it would have fared much better for a third and final series to tie up the many loose ends left in series 2. It feels unfinished and there has been no thought paid to the retail value of the series...who wants to buy an unfinished product? A final series would have brought much enjoyment to its fans and would have increased the revenue of resales of the DVD, if it had felt complete. Do your best, writers, and make that final series. Let Paradise go out with a bang, not a disappointing whimper. You have NOT done your writers or actors proud in cutting it short before its time!

Posted on 1 Apr 2014 15:36:48 BDT
Donna Hall says:
I can't believe that they stopped the paradise! I watched it on catch up most the time so it didn't contribrute to the actual ratings. I wonder how many people did that. There so much rubbish on tv and the bbc decide to stop a great programme. Really sad about it. Please help to save this amazon.

Posted on 1 Apr 2014 18:28:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2014 23:11:48 BDT
Reads in the Swedish press that Amazon is launching six new TV series and that plans are another step in Amazon's attempt to compete with the U.S. streaming services like Netflix, HBO and Hulu. The new series is a selection of ten pilot episode that the company launched last year. Viewers were then asked to review sections and the six most popular now get full seasons. Why not take the opportunity and take back The Paradise? A series that is loved in so many countries and ended up with lots of question marks after season 2 and that absolutely did not feel quite finished. And it felt like a big disappointment to this wonderful series were treated so bad when this serie is really worth a better fate, and that it can at least get a decent end. Please Amazon save "The Paradise"

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 13:43:50 BDT
Joy says:
Yes it is a wonderful show,that all our family have watched and I have converted many to it ....it needs to come back and BBC should have done better advertising of this program if they wanted to have higher numbers watching

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 17:43:44 BDT
Lorraine B. says:
I agree with you 100% Put it on a Friday night or any weekend night but Tuesday was ridiculous. Please bring it back...I cannot bear not seeing Moray again!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2014 03:34:42 BDT
Lorraine B...I feel your pain..I feel the same..bring back this great series & give us an ending to a great story!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2014 10:58:07 BDT
I agree with you both and miss this series and Moray and Denise so much :) and ask someone to help us fans that we'll see more episodes of this absolutely wonderful series.

Posted on 13 Apr 2014 08:27:35 BDT
W. M. Easton says:
This is such a lovely programme. Please SAVE THE PARADISE!!!

Posted on 13 Apr 2014 11:33:15 BDT
Matthew says:
I want a third season!!!! I love the paradise!

Posted on 19 Apr 2014 18:28:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2014 18:40:02 BDT
Classy lady says:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP SAVE THE PARADISE, it is such a beautiful Period Drama. Beautiful set, great characters, gorgeous actors and most if all a beautiful love story that needs to be concluded !! So much more this drama has to tell. Why the BBC cancelled it I will never understand. It has so many fans from all over the world !! We have a Petition that is still currently growing, see our Facebook page ! PLEASE HELP SAVE THIS DRAMA AMAZON !

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2014 18:56:50 BDT
Suzy Bear says:
Well said Classy Lady , I agree with everything you said. Come on Amazon SAVE THE PARADISE !!!!!! PLEASE xxxx

Posted on 22 Apr 2014 01:29:11 BDT
We've been posting here, expressing our desire for The Paradise to be continued..hoping Amazon will step in to bring the fans of this great series more seasons....will this ever become a reality? It's very frustrating that our campaign has gone on for months now, with no feedback or acknowledgement from
anyone...so sad...bring us more seasons of The Paradise, please! This fantastic story needs to continue, there is so much more that needs to be told, so much more character development. We need quality programming, quality like The Paradise!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2014 02:33:47 BDT
Cindee says:
Well said Donna.

I'm not one who typically watches or reads romance novels, but I was spellbound by The Paradise. Please Amazon, won't you show the BBC that they cancelled this way too soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2014 03:31:48 BDT
Yes, Cindee, this was such a beautiful production. I love watching period dramas, but The Paradise has so much more than the others! I think it's very special in so many ways, so many elements that made you anxious for the next episode & the next. That's why so many of us feel the story is not complete!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2014 03:36:34 BDT
Classy lady says:
I am with you all the way Donna !! The BBC cancelled this way too soon ! Please Amazon help the many many fans bring this wonderful Drama back to our tv screens. The Paradise is way too good to be lost after only two series ! HELP SAVE THE PARADISE PLEASE !!!

Posted on 22 Apr 2014 04:07:07 BDT
I know, Classy lady...why is it all the fans know this, but BBC doesn't? After all I've read about this station from the people that live in the UK, & who have to deal with them on a regular basis, really makes me questions how they run this station...certainly doesn't promote confidence, that's for sure!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (645 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  92
Total posts:  209
Initial post:  28 Feb 2014
Latest post:  27 Feb 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions