Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Annoying adverts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 291 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2012 20:36:59 BDT
aorry its legal not to pay for licence if you use it only for watching non live tv ie dvds blu ray however to be legal you do have to inform tv licensing and be prepared for a random visit i have been a non licensed adress since last august and so far no check up they answered my questions re my set up before i wnet officialy non licensed nd 4 people at tv licensing all said unless you are watching live tv on any device and thaT includes phone or internet theny you dont need a licence i said eve n with my 3 freeeview tvs they said not if you are not connected and just use tv as the viwieing platform

so i am non licensed for 2 yrs or if a check shows i am not legal but thats why i kepp there emails as i described my sety up to them i will pay for licence renewing if they did say sorry youre wrong but i would refuse to pay for any past yr or fines aqs i woulld say your emails showed my set up so thats your problem why tell me my seyt up is fine to go non licenced if it is not

Posted on 16 May 2012 20:46:59 BDT
What?

Posted on 17 May 2012 14:08:08 BDT
B. Hewitt says:
the adverts for Corrie sponsors,That blonde woman drives me mad she is so stupid !

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2012 12:31:44 BDT
do you regularly write conversations down in print with no grammar?

he is an odd one isnt he oh yes he certainly is i agree.

it makes no sense and if you have freeview tvs then id say you need a licence.

Posted on 18 May 2012 21:40:41 BDT
Louise says:
Toothpaste adverts. CGI pictures of the plaque being removed from teeth. Irritates me, I don't know why :)

My favourite advert is the Energy EDF advert with the little flame ? Dancing to Hawaii Five-O, I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2012 19:09:13 BDT
Stu says:
Yes that Duran Duran advert annoys me too along with the bloke rapping advert about a phone book or something. The EDF advert I like, that flame is cute

Posted on 19 May 2012 21:23:00 BDT
sorry my typing is re my disablity issues

yes tvs i have are freeview but all disconnected from aerial and no channels intalled so they just are connected to other equipment ie dvd blu ray and vhs and watching those is not live tv so therrefore providing one informs tv licensing and fills in there form and is classed as a non licence adress one is perfectly legal

i sent 3 emails to tv licensing befroe asking to be made non licensed and all times i said about my set up stating all are freeview tvs but i dont watch live tv in fact they did not even state about deleting channels and disconnecting aerials thats my belief as to best way to do it

otherwise firstly temptation to just watch something may overcome me or when putting tv on it may go to an active station and therefore i am then classed as recieving tv sig so i said to them i wiuld disconnetc tv froom aerial and delete channels

i can re post the tv licence emails if anyone wants to disbeleive me

tv licence in uk for live tv only on phone computer or tv using as just to watch my dvds etc no licence needed

ok it meansd i dont watch tv i never liked tv in first place so to me no loss i get the programmes or rather films and no licence

Posted on 20 May 2012 00:45:27 BDT
Chris says:
I remember years ago when people were saying that British TV was so much better than the American TV since they had the apparent reputation of showing non-stop adverts with the occasional break for a programme. On a lot of our channels, we appear to have adopted this annoying trend. A few years ago when the ads came on, you had just enough time to go to the loo or make a cup of coffee. The way things are going, you'll soon have enough time not only to prepare a meal, but to eat it as well !
A lot of us agree about that go compare tenor, the green coated double glazing "you buy one, you get one free", the meerkats, the "I've had an accident" - "who cares ?" are all ads which get up our goats and wish we could kick them into oblivion ! The constant, and I mean constant, inundation of insurance , mis selling of PPI (insurance again !) if you didn't need it, want it etc ... and lately I'm being hit north, south, east and west by companies wanting me to play bingo !!!
I really don't know where all this will end - probably with me being dragged away by men in white coats - and I don't mean Daz salesmen ! Victor Meldrew lives !!!!!

Posted on 20 May 2012 00:58:46 BDT
Direct Line, PPI Ads and those ads for loansharks

Posted on 20 May 2012 03:14:18 BDT
Yes. The loansharks. Scum of the earth. You would think a television company wouldn't stoop that low.
Demonstrates what a bunch of ragtag, lowdown s****** these people are.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 12:44:12 BDT
Stu says:
I dont like the Claims direct adverts that are on all morning

Posted on 20 May 2012 13:02:40 BDT
Adam says:
Channel 4 and 5 and Dave are the worst. Not only for adds but whats on them as well. Gossip ads? that crap should be illegal nobody cares about losers ruining their lives get lost already

Posted on 21 May 2012 19:34:13 BDT
yeah these adverts for wonga, quick quid, kwik cash, dosh2day* they really piss me off. i mean the morons who use this service because they have to pay their annual tv licence and gas bill deserve it - never heard of a direct debit, pay monthly situation? the fact is if you spend all you earn, then when it comes to these annual bills you are screwed - so save a bit! or pay monthly. and if you still cant afford it, then how on earth will you pay back the amount you borrowed plus the 2000% apr?

one day these ads will dissapear - remember a few years back we had every other advert be for ringtones. it died and im hoping these ppi, personal injury, cash loans and gold buyer adverts will go away.

*this one i might have made up

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:02:09 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I think there is a case for tightening up on some forms of advertising. We never used to get solicitors being able to plug themselves in the past; now we get ambulance chasers all over the place and ultimately we all end up paying for the compensation culture they've created. It's also a bit rich when ITV News will run a story on families falling into debt and chastising companies who encourage people to take out loans, and then run adverts for those self-same firms! As for PPI; if people haven't realised that this is a case of one racket being cashed in upon by another racket then they are sadly deluded!
That said, I don't normally have a problem with TV advertising that is clearly delineated from actual programmes; it's the more surreptitious placement and promotion that goes in within shows that really irritates me.

Posted on 22 May 2012 10:28:54 BDT
I was woken up by a strange thought a few nights ago. Maybe i had missed a good programme on itv?
Puzzled, and a little surprised by such a thought, i ventured downstairs and checked the tv guide.
I carefully checked each programme from dawn til dusk, half expecting to find something worthy of my critical eye.
Nope. Nothing. It was all crap.
That's the beauty of this and all the other crap producing channels. I can go to bed secure in the knowledge that my life is much richer because there is nothing to miss.

Posted on 22 May 2012 12:27:17 BDT
Di Le Bec says:
There are a new series of really annoying adverts for cheese. A miniature cowboy rhyming "expertises" with "cheeses"!

Posted on 22 May 2012 15:09:25 BDT
Stu says:
I hate the call 0900 490961 or whatever number and chat to sexy women now so go on call they are waiting and there is 4 women with no life pretending to txt

Posted on 23 May 2012 19:14:31 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Although television is still the most powerful advertising medium at the moment, for TV companies the ads are nowhere near as lucrative. When there were only two or three channels, ITV could charge the earth for a brief commercial in a prime time spot because it was guaranteed a huge audience. With so many channels now competing - along with newer media - the cost of TV advertising has fallen dramatically. One report I read recently stated that 10 years ago you couldn't seriously contemplate a TV advertising campaign for less than £100,000; now one could actually do TV advertising for a tenth of that price. (Clearly the big boys are spending way in excess of these figures but proportionately their costs will have come down as well). It may well be that the downside of this for viewers is that the TV channels have to pack in far more ads to maintain revenue; yet another illustration that having so many channels hasn't actually worked in the viewers' favour.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 22:36:08 BDT
JR says:
Wwhat was the name of the other band that the first student was listening to?
Sounded like "flack salaman" or something.

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 21:25:25 BDT
gille liath says:
These EDF ads with the little turd in them - like in the new one, it's riding on a dog's back. WTF is that all about? Reverse Andrex?

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 17:26:34 BDT
I find adverts that say 'Nothing works better' a little daft. Nothing works better? Then I shall use nothing!

Posted on 23 Apr 2013 14:19:59 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I get fed up with the way our BBC Regional News bulletins sneak in a plug for local radio at every opportunity (twice today in a three minute bulletin!) - if our local news girl tells me to "tune in to Radio Muckshire for more information" one more time, I shall throw something at the screen!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2013 20:08:42 BDT
Sweet Pea says:
I absolutely hate that ad. I find it so annoying on every level. I mean, who is it suppose to appeal to? Kids? As soon as it comes on, I press the mute button on my remote as I can't stand that song either.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2013 01:18:12 BDT
The Bruce SPRINGSTEEN song '57 Channels' comes to mind, where he says that, as Elvis did, he fired a gun into the TV set.

I feel like doing that sometimes, especially when you get the same advert repeated four times in a programme. As to programmes, if an episode is one hour then we must be getting short changed when we watch the programme within the one hour time frame and it's interspersed with b...... intelligence insulting adverts. They must be cutting time out of the episode.

Posted on 16 May 2013 11:49:44 BDT
Any advert placed on a DVD. I got rid of my TV licence (legally) almost nine years ago and solely use videos with detuned equipment. Again legal! I have no desire to see charity adverts, monotonous adverts about piracy, in fact anything at all. I pay for a DVD and the film on it, not the crud that seems to come with it. It is like buying a car and finding something nagging and irritating sittting in the passenger seat! The other thing is the ridiculous seemingly "hours" of copyright information given in a multitude of languages. I would even pay a quid more for "Advert and Copyright free DVD's"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (645 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  161
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  7 Oct 2010
Latest post:  17 Aug 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions