Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Whos the best British Sci-Fi writer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 159 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2013, 17:24:16 GMT
Anita says:
Lady, you just pushed this book on fantasy forum. This is science fiction forum, to say the least.

And are you sure you're really better (okay, as good as) than all those authors mentioned on this thread?

Some spammers are just ridiculous, sorry

Posted on 14 Jan 2013, 18:46:32 GMT
Daniel says:
Peter Harrison

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013, 13:54:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Feb 2013, 08:53:16 GMT
REF: Brian W Challoner.
I agree Clive Barker's "Weaveworld" is an excellent book.
Through I would class it as Fantasy/Horror not SF.
But a brilliant writer non the less.
I would highly recommend his six volume "Books Of Blood" series which contains some really good short stories.
There are also some good graphic books based on his short stories such as "Jack And The Yattering".

Posted on 28 Jan 2013, 07:38:18 GMT
curiouspaul says:
Not just great SF writers, but great writers period:
JG Ballard
Christopher Priest

Posted on 29 Jan 2013, 15:53:37 GMT
Rob says:
So many triffic Brit writers to drool over... Neal Asher and Alastair Reynolds make the top of the list for me... But also Arthur C C for hooking me into quality science fiction as a teenager (many years ago).

But... he's not been mentioned yet (so unfair) so, a great BIG shout for John Meaney. His Nulapeiron series is consistently excellent and the new Ragnarok trilogy is looking just as good. Proper writing. Proper science and Proper can't put down moreishness.

Also Ian McDonald. Under-rated ... Read "Desolation Road" first and go from there.

Posted on 1 Feb 2013, 14:00:58 GMT
ProjeKt says:
Check out the authors in the 'Black Library' division of Games Workshop. Mostly British, and generally of a very high standard. Search Amazon for Warhammer 40,000.

Posted on 1 Feb 2013, 21:29:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Feb 2013, 12:25:37 GMT]

Posted on 2 Feb 2013, 08:35:56 GMT
Guy Lawley says:
For my money, Michael Moorcock is head & shoulders the best, but a lot of his stuff is more fantasy (or mainstream/crossover) than SF of course. Aldsiss, Ballard, and the unclassifiable/brilliant Robert Holdstock also right up there.

BTW, Looks as if those of us dumb enough to buy a Kindle Fire HD in the UK (such as me!!!) cannot download and read through Comixology or Marvel or anyone (e.g. Boom! studios). Not even graphic novels / collected editions. I bought my Kindle Fire HD 99% to read comics & graphic novels. It's a lovely device, but because of this I'm thinking of sending it back. It seems to me this should be publicised widely in the media until the powers that be are shamed into sorting it out. Amazon please get the message: one VERY unsatisfied customer.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013, 08:43:56 GMT
Garscadden says:
If I search comixology kindle fire uk all the results indicate it isn't available. Could you not just download the apk and install it?

(Good morning!)

Posted on 3 Feb 2013, 16:34:16 GMT
Gray Hamme says:
Has anyone read Mordecai Roshwald ?

"Level 7" and "A Small Armageddon"

Read them many years ago and they have stuck in my mind ever since esp "Level 7"

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013, 17:44:10 GMT
Yvonne N says:
The greatest science fiction writer ever and you are the first person to mention him here. What sort of a science fiction forum is this lol

Posted on 3 Feb 2013, 18:07:54 GMT
Gray Hamme says:
Yvonne ! Yvonne !
You are the first person since my late brother-in-law to even have heard of
Mordecai Roshwald ! I don't know if he wrote any more after these two novels other than scientific books

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013, 18:40:34 GMT
Anita says:
Question was about the best *British* SF writer... Asimov may be great, but that doesn't make him British... :)

Posted on 3 Feb 2013, 19:35:34 GMT
Anita says:
Just skim-read through this thread, and failed to find (the late) Barrington J. Bayley mentioned, at least once. A *very* insteresting author in my opinion, perhaps very underrated. Definitely worth being mentioned here, I think

Posted on 3 Feb 2013, 20:45:59 GMT
J. Pearson says:
Iain M Banks does it for me. Inventive, amusing, stochastic

Posted on 8 Feb 2013, 00:28:59 GMT
G. Owens says:
@Anita - yeah, I loved Soul of the Robot
The Soul of the Robot

Posted on 15 Feb 2013, 16:54:25 GMT
JCR says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2013, 17:12:41 GMT
Anita says:
Does that *really* make Thomas Cross the BEST British science fiction writer (as asked by OP)?

Just say yes, and maybe I'll believe

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013, 11:14:47 GMT
Ken O'Neill says:
Will that make 3 impossible things before lunch, so you can finish your morning off with breakfast at Milliways: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013, 16:47:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Feb 2013, 08:57:31 GMT
Sorry "Bluedusk" but Cordwainer Smith was an American, look him up on Wiki.
When I first read "The Game Of Rat And Dragon" years ago it blow me away!
It's still one of my favorite storys.

Posted on 24 Feb 2013, 20:59:02 GMT
Liz says:
New author Howard Steadman (wrote 5000), who's actually a physicist and knows what he's talking about

Posted on 24 Feb 2013, 21:00:11 GMT
Liz says:
New author Howard Steadman (wrote 5000), who's actually a physicist and knows what he's talking about

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2013, 21:39:50 GMT
Anita says:
Please, let him write some more than 5000 books before claiming he's *the best* British SF writer.

As if a physicist means a good writer per se. I can always choose to read something by Michio Kaku or such when I want physics.

Hell - as if spamming weren't bad per se... but the yesterday born authors leaping to be the best next day just drive me mad, sorry. The prologue of 5000 by the way is normally written and incredibly boring

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2013, 22:15:28 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Feb 2013, 23:45:20 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2013, 22:24:59 GMT
Anita says:
If you are that well educated, please read the OP.

I'm sure I can't even start to compare myself with you re education, still I'm sure your friend isn't yet THE BEST British science fiction author. *That* is the thread title. Who is THE BEST British SF writer?

Or is he, really? Better/as good as all the other authors mentioned in this thread?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (576 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  84
Total posts:  159
Initial post:  13 Nov 2009
Latest post:  25 Sep 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers