Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Looking for a new author, run out of things to read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 452 posts in this discussion
Posted on 26 Apr 2012, 15:19:32 BST
DruBoy says:
Seafort Saga by David Feintuch

Worth a read though last couple are weeker than early ones

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012, 19:00:15 BST
Anita says:
Ian Collins: if your apology is sincere, why your self-plugging post is still here?

Posted on 26 Apr 2012, 19:43:45 BST
Rosie says:
Or you could simply try working your way through all the authors listed on Amazon under science fiction. ;)!

Posted on 26 Apr 2012, 22:10:53 BST
Skorus says:
Here are a few sci-fi authors and books that haven't been mentioned in this thread you may wish to give a try:

F Paul Wilson - The LaNague Chronicles (if you can get hold of a copy)

Kristine Smith - Jani Kilan series

Roger Allen MacBride - Chronicles of Solace series

Tanya Huff - Confederation series

Jack McDevitt

Kristine Kathryn Rusch - Retrival Artist series

Julie E Czerneda

Karen Traviss - Wess'Har series

Robert Frezza

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012, 22:51:28 BST
Michelle says:
Try Eileen Gormley's "Dont Feed the Fairies" and "Dont Eat the Earthlings". Read the first one and really, really enjoyed it. Have heard great things about the second. Also, more young adult urban fantasy, but try Claire Chilton's "Whatever Became of the Squishies". She's also coming out with book 2 of the series later this year. Have fun!!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012, 02:42:53 BST
Addict says:
Try David Weber - Honor HarringtoN or Tanys Huff -Valor Series

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012, 10:04:19 BST
I Collins says:
Anita,

Because I didn't know you could remove it - and so I don't know how.

Let me know and I will do it.

Ian

Posted on 27 Apr 2012, 11:48:23 BST
midgetgem says:
I use Fantastic Fiction to find new authors, just put in your favourite author then scroll down.They have a list of authors in the same genre i have found loads of new books this way.It also comes in handy for reading books in the right order.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012, 13:05:41 BST
Anita says:
Ian, it seems a bit strange that you know how to post, but don't know how to delete a post. There are self-pluggers who make genuine mistakes, I'm sure, but then there are plenty of others who (think they) are clever enough to deceive the potential readers. Consequently some of us are suspicious about everyone who tries self-promoting in inappropriate places.

Anyway, to delete a post click edit the post, and then delete.

Good luck at Meet Our Authors

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012, 00:43:42 BST
Anita, et al,
I feel that I must apologise too, as I feel really sorry for Ian who is a newbie just like I used to be. It is my own fault that I fell into this, as I was attracted by the wording of the title:"Looking for a New Author" and quite forgot to check if the thread was in MOA.
As a publisher, I do feel responsible for promoting my authors, and I hardly ever promote my own books, so I don't think it's entirely fair to call me a 'spammer'. However, I do admit that I was wrong in this case. All best to everyone :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012, 00:50:53 BST
Garscadden, I was not reviewing myself ~ I have hardly ever done that. I am a small publisher and have a responsibility to my authors. OK, I should have said that at the time. I was attracted by the title of this thread and forgot to check if it was MOA. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I will not follow this thread any more.

Posted on 2 May 2012, 20:28:05 BST
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012, 20:11:47 BST
Babel-Fish says:
Retribution Falls: Tales of the Ketty Jay (Tales of the Ketty Jay 1) (TALES OF THE KETTY JAY) by The Black Lung Captain: Tales of the Ketty JayThe Iron Jackal (Tale of the Ketty Jay 3)

Posted on 2 May 2012, 22:08:29 BST
John says:
Okay, Babel-Fish, I am confused. You have spammed at least three forums, but this book is published in paperback and has 48 reviews. Its not even doing too badly, with a solid four stars.
Now, spamming the forums is usually an act of desperation done my new authors. Your post is not a recommendation either, its a synopsis. I am craving to take a peak inside and give it a very thorough reviewing, but I want to know why you are doing this first...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012, 06:38:47 BST
Garscadden says:
I'm thinking of emailing Gollancz and asking them about the spamming. For newbie vanity publishers I can see how they think it's a good idea - for a 'real' publisher that is likely to get picked up and ridiculed for it in genre publications it just seems a really bad idea.

Posted on 3 May 2012, 17:20:00 BST
Babel-Fish says:
Hi John,
I didn't realise that I was spamming but this discussion is labelled "Looking for a new author, run out of things to read " so I have read all three of Chris Woodings' Ketty Jay books and found them to be great reads, o.k, I may have just 'cut & pasted' the synopsis on instead of staight forwardly recommending them. Is this a crime?
I was just trying to help Abi out, isn't this what these discussions are for?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012, 17:36:00 BST
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012, 17:36:18 BST
Garscadden says:
It's the fact that your posts look so much like the large amount of spam that gets excreted here. Cut / Paste - check. Lack of any further discussion - check. Not sure about John - but yours isn't a name that I remember seeing on here before (may be my bad memory in my declining years though), so - new poster - check.

Personally when I am recommending a book I tend to give a short reason *why* I am recommending, as that is useful, rather than just copy / paste the blurb, as that doesn't reallya dd anything, and really really looks like spam.

[EDIT - typo]

Posted on 3 May 2012, 17:56:15 BST
Anita says:
Wait, guys, too harsh a bit this time (I hope). I don't remember Babel-Fish by name either, but i half-remember the picture, as I'm a bit allergic to the sight :) (Might have stumbled upon his/her review on Harry Harrison, hardly anything else.) Still, at least no reviews of Ketty Jay.

Babel-Fish, if I might: a five-times shorter recommendation would be more helpful, IMO

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012, 17:59:41 BST
Garscadden says:
I agree - maybe we're all a bit trigger happy.

(But i was hoping to point out to B-F why s/he got treated as if it's spam, because it does fit the normal routine. And thus potentially another unfortunate victim of terrible vanity publishers... (but i think I'm going to shut up now (yes, really)))

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012, 18:07:01 BST
Anita says:
DON'T!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012, 18:17:55 BST
Garscadden says:
Okay then :)

Posted on 3 May 2012, 19:19:32 BST
Sou'Wester says:
I think we have to give Mr Fish the benefit of the doubt here; the posts did come across as a bit "spammy" but, looking at Mr F's profile, I think these are genuine endorsements. It's one of the sad aspects of all the actual spamming, self-plugging (not to mention deceiving) that goes on in these forums that we're becoming distrustful of "innocent" posters.

Posted on 4 May 2012, 00:05:48 BST
John says:
Yeah thats what I thought. A solid account, but the post looked like spam and it was else where too, although Im struggling to remember which threads. Anyway, all good. Also took a look inside and its professionally edited and formatted, so probly not noob stuff. Has anyone read these books? Are they ok or good?

Posted on 4 May 2012, 02:21:19 BST
Anita says:
Babel-Fish,
now, that's funny: I'm pretty sure I have read your post about 20 posts ago on this very thread, but for my life I don't remember a Babel-Fish. Just out of curiosity: have you changed your name? But then, my memory is not as it once was...

Posted on 4 May 2012, 11:51:59 BST
Anita says:
Hey, my secret no-voting admirer here again! Hi, still no wish to introduce yourself? Warning: I'm married

Posted on 4 May 2012, 18:12:56 BST
John says:
Lol... Iv had quite a few no votes myself. I guess think that lumans review did for a lot of them. Him and his three accounts :-) Good thing im not here to make friends, I would be forced to say some really horrible things. Such as 'Brilliant, keep up the good work!'
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (577 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  246
Total posts:  452
Initial post:  5 Apr 2011
Latest post:  26 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers