Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit
Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

looking for books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2012, 12:28:56 BST
can anyone give me some titles of books with the plot of being the last people on earth. any sort of stories will do i.e magic,aliens, natural disaster, post nuclear war. i have tried using plot search sites but they dont seem to help. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am running out of books to read

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 13:28:16 BST
Paul Tapner says:
The Genocides (Vintage)

I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

Earth Abides (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

The Harvest (Bantam Spectra Book)

Hopefully more will come to mind and I will post them if so

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 14:13:23 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2012, 14:38:05 BST
Anita says:
The Road
(EDIT: sorry for a wrong link earlier, mis-clicked in a hurry :) )

Something by Stephen King must fit the bill, something pandemic, sorry, can't remember the title.

And then, there always are the triffids... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012, 14:53:41 BST
If you've not already seen this mentioned earlier in another thread, try Level 7.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 15:15:21 BST
Ken O'Neill says:
It's arguably not SF, but Neville Shute's "On The Beach" is about the last men alive following a nuclear war.

Also, woud you have any interest in other post-Apocalypse fiction?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012, 15:21:51 BST
Annie C says:
Although marketed as 'teenage fiction' the John Marsden series 'Tomorrow when the war began' is very, very good.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012, 16:18:46 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2012, 16:26:17 BST
Blackarrow says:
Hi Anita,

The Stephen King book is "The Stand" and I think it's one of his best.

Also "Cell", another Stephen King is pretty good.

Z

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 16:36:52 BST
Oracle says:
I would second The Road and I Am Legend.

And I've not read it yet but I've heard good things about The Passage.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 16:59:56 BST
Have you looked into Graham Masterton's Famine, which is a great fun pulpy read.

Or, for a utterly horrible look at a similar subject, try the profoundly upsetting The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 17:15:05 BST
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012, 07:46:18 BST
Anita says:
Hmmm... should I mention (not recommend) a book I absolutely hated as hopelessly boring?.. It has only *one* human being in it, the last one, but not because of some kind of apocalypse, just very distant future. Don't read this book, it's crap.

Anyone interested?..

Stone God Awakens (Panther science fiction)

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 19:52:01 BST
Anne says:
The Day of the Triffids (Penguin Modern Classics)

Classic, end of the world as we know it type of stuff.

Also ...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Volume One in the Trilogy of Five (Hitchhikers Guide 1)

Posted on 7 Jun 2012, 23:14:36 BST
Nicky says:
I love James Herbert's novels and he's written a selection which you might like - The Rats, Lair, Domain, '48.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012, 06:49:19 BST
Paul Tapner says:
Of Men and Monsters (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

Survivors

Despite the cover the latter is actually Terry Nation's original novel from the 1970's, which does end up going in a rather different direction to both tv versions.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012, 12:02:18 BST
thanks for everyones suggestions, paul i will definately try earth abides, oracle i will try the passage. a lot of the others have been made into tv shows or movies which always spoil the books for me. like i said thanks for the suggestions and i hope people will keep them coming.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012, 18:22:05 BST
Fieldcene says:
Wind Over Troubled WatersWind Over Troubled Waters - Book One After the great flood, few people remain in Corn World, Britland.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012, 03:11:39 BST
Hi there,
I know about a new book that you might like, its call Time Train, its more fore tweens/teens but readable for adults. This book is about kids travelling through time and landing on a future uninhabited earth.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012, 15:52:24 BST
I recommend Peter Salisbury's book The Old Store, available on kindle. It is a collection of short, related stories of a post plague world some 18 months after the disaster. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it. He also wrote a follow on collection which filled in gaps from the original anthology.

Posted on 10 Jun 2012, 00:27:20 BST
go on the meet our authors forum they're bound to know some good science fiction books that fit your criteria.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2012, 18:47:03 BST
Garscadden says:
Or stay here and the spammers will continue to add bad self published books.

Hi Francene!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2012, 13:32:28 BST
What is that supposed to mean! I'm an author and I haven't spammed anyone to buy my work. Not all the discussions on the meet our authors forum are full of spammers.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2012, 20:26:30 BST
Garscadden says:
P L-S - that comment was aimed at Francene, not you. Apologies for not being clearer.

Posted on 12 Jun 2012, 09:47:56 BST
No trouble at all. I simply misinterperated your comment about spammers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (576 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  7 Jun 2012
Latest post:  12 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer