Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Festivals. Oldies on DVDs.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 May 2011 10:15:57 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Just ordered Glastonbury Fayre 1971 DVD, quite a history, isn't it? Already own:
Woodstock, of course,
The Isle Of Wight Fest. with famous Who peformance,
London Rock & Roll Show in 1972.

Nostalgia - good or bad, I am fascinated by these journeys in time.
Any thoughts?

Posted on 2 May 2011 12:18:51 BDT
Carradale says:
is it just me or is there a lot more nostalgia about these days than there used to be?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 15:43:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2011 15:46:53 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Not sure I'd want the mixed bag that is a festival doc but I am partial to the limited footage of my favourite bands from times past so I'm a sucker for Lynyrd Skynyrd dvds - especially Freebird The Movie & Tribute Tour [DVD] which I ended upo buying twice, once in Region 1 and then R2 when it was fianlly released here, Sweet Home Alabama: The Rockpalast Collection [DVD] [2006] which I was only interested in for the 'bonus' footage from 1974 featuring the original band, as in with Ed King and Bob Burns on drums, performing 'Workin'For MCA', 'Freebird' & 'Sweet Home Alabama', in a small concert hall and I bought Gimme Back My Bullets when I already owned the LP and CD because of the OGWT footage - 7 tracks in mono but so what ... it's brilliant.

I do only tend to watch any dvd once though but Lynyrd Skynyrd are an exception.

Some really good Johnny Winter archive footage dvds recently too.

Nowadays (young man) virtually every new release can be bought as a 'special edition' with a making of dvd which means the footage will never attain rarity value and becomes yet another aspect of our high consumption/throwaway lifestyle.

Posted on 2 May 2011 15:52:25 BDT
Festival Express [DVD] which is so cheap now is an essential for any half-decent West Coast music fan IMO.

The Woodstock [Blu-ray][Region Free] has masses of extra footage if you have a blu-ray player; well worth it IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 20:16:32 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Dam'! Just added 'Festival Express' to my order.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 20:25:38 BDT
Post Soviet says:
I've got that 'Free Bird/Tribute' dvd as well, have you noticed(on first feature, original line up) different reactions from the crowds, in England - folk sitting mostly on the gross, some doped up shaking, and crowd in America(when 'Free Bird') screaming their heads off!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 21:02:37 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Yes well they were at a day long festival on an atypically hot english summer's day - wish I'd have been there. I did see them in the following year's tour at Sheffield - awesome isn't the word. The bit at the end where the camera goes into their plane and it takes off and the image fades out ...... lump in the throat time.

Posted on 2 May 2011 22:24:30 BDT
K.J.S. says:
Monterey Pop Festival most famous for the Jimi Hendrix and Who performances.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 23:35:58 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Yeah...and "Simple Man" sounding...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 23:36:57 BDT
Post Soviet says:
...and Ravi Shankar.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2011 22:52:04 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Hi PS
Went to the IOW in 1970 and Glasto in 71 so both DVDs are in the vaults,good times and nostalgia when watching it all over again.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2011 06:38:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2011 06:39:43 BDT
Carradale says:
First Festival in Scotland was this....

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/grangemouth-festival.html

Great day. They forgot to mention Marsha Hunt (who was rather scarily gorgeous )....

Pretty sure it's not on DVD!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  2 May 2011
Latest post:  4 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions