Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Worst live Album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2012 07:56:43 GMT
easytiger says:
"Love you Live" by The Rolling Stones. Even with 2 months of engineering and massive overdubs it still is the worst live LP by a name band I've ever heard.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 08:22:06 GMT
T. Franklin says:
Never heard it (which may be a good thing if you're right), but for me it has to be any album where there is a fade between tracks. Totally destroys any atmosphere of the live experience regardless of how good the music is.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 08:25:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 08:25:21 GMT
Live In The Shadow Of The Blues (2CD) by Whitesnake, sounds like it was recorded on a mobile phone. A pity, because it has a great setlist, if you are a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 12:46:47 GMT
easytiger says:
It actually went 'gold' in UK and US!

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 16:38:54 GMT
J. Milner says:
The word 'overdub' seems to me to contradict the term 'live'. The need to overdub should tell the band - practice more, don't get bevvied up before going on stage and play songs that work outside the confines of a studio. Live should mean live - warts n all.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 17:42:48 GMT
You would love bootlegs in that case JM. Most of the Stones boots show a band that is pumping out a lot more energy than the legit live releases suggest. The Pink Floyd boots are also better than the legit live releases, with the exception of the recent live tracks on the Dark Side and Wish You Were Here experience versions, they were great.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 19:16:06 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I'm with you T. Franklin - I *hate* live albums that fade between tracks. I really don't understand the need for that at all! I would take a live album with "overdubs" over a live album with fades....

For warts and all, some bands negate the need for bootlegs. To name but three, Blues Traveler, Dave Matthews Band and Pearl Jam release virtually every gig - and you'd need to be a mug to shell out for a bootleg.

The worst live album I own is Live by Alice in Chains. I'm a mug for buying it, because it sucks so badly - but hey, I have it. Don't buy it!

I love Alice in Chains, but this album reeks of contractual obligation. Apart from being a mishmash of tracks from varying eras, what really winds me up is the completely unnecessary edit in Layne Staley's intro to "Love Hate Love", which changes completely the meaning of his words. In any of the many boots from this concert (and it is probably the most booted AiC) - not to mention on the "Heaven Beside You" single, on which it was a bside - you can hear Layne say something along the lines of "this is a song for a very special girl....[fornicating] [female dog]." On the "Live" album, we hear only "this is a song for a very special girl", which really isn't the same...

I don't necessarily think this sort of compilation live album is always bad - but it normally is. The only exception I can think of, personally, is Iron Maiden's "A Real Dead One". I don't like the "Real Live One" equivalent at all, but I have a fond spot for "Dead One" - which is a great compilation of early Maiden tracks played live.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 19:25:00 GMT
M. Coleman says:
Dio - Intermission , must have been one of the worst laid out live albums of all time , it was named " A live mini-album " by the record company , and it got 1 studio song on , the music that made it on to that album was top notch , but there was just as much left off , Ronnie and his band recorded enough material for a double vinyl album at the time .
Also the same fate for Meatloaf - live at wembley - it could have been a double as well , some good songs on but badly edited .

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 19:27:33 GMT
Spacepig says:
For the sound quality alone:

Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin

Never ever ever ever contemplate buying it for any reason whatsoever.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 12:38:01 GMT
suziex says:
How The West Was Won - Led Zeppelin

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:59:23 GMT
Spacepig says:
Hey hold on suzie, that's a good one, you got your threads mixed up.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:05:11 GMT
suziex says:
I don't think so , though.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:50:41 GMT
The Faces - Coast To Coast. Sloppy (but not 'sloppy good') performances and weedy sound - this band deserved something better to bow out with.

Japan - Oil On Canvas. Audience inaudible and performances are barely, if at all, different from studio versions, so why bother?

David Bowie - Stage. He may have been enjoying a creative hot streak in the studio but this vacuous effort from 1978 is as dull as ditch water.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 15:24:16 GMT
easytiger says:
Re-Oil On Canvas. Totally agree. I bought the video and the most interesting bits were the backscreen stuff of Thai dancing girls during Visions of China(?!)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 18:12:07 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Agreed. For some reason I often see Stage being rated as a better live album than David Live. Now admittedly, he was probably a great deal healthier for the Stage tour, but I think David Live is a far better live album. Stage is definitely a bit naff...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 18:30:33 GMT
Leftin says:
Suziex, I'm with you here. I was very disappointed with that album. The Song Remains the Same is 100% better. I'd say the bootleg of How the West... is better than the CD.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 18:37:57 GMT
T. Franklin says:
Isn't the best Led Zeppelin live album (official releases that is) actually Page & the Black Crowes Live At The Greek ;-)

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 19:45:18 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Earthbound(Hdcd) I spent a lot of money on this hoping the Japanese could improve it. Wishful thinking on my part. It's bad but the quality of the band seeps through the hiss and the buzz.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 19:49:59 GMT
N. Hudson says:
The sound quality is bad, but it is a great live performance. Not worth spending a lot of money on though! Earthbound (30th Anniversary Edition) should do you right. Still hiss and buzz, still a great live performance, not a great deal of money.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 20:31:20 GMT
Red Mosquito and M Hudson, the dgmlive.com legit downloads are better, significantly so in most cases. Well worth checking out if you are unfamiliar.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 22:43:52 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
'The Alice Cooper Show' is really poor - muddy production and Alice sounds knackered (which he was at the time).

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 06:18:28 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks Smitty, I'm not familiar. I'll give them a try

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 07:18:25 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Thanks Smitty, I am familiar, but I'm too old-school for my own good. I just can't bring myself to buy downloads. I want the physical product, so to me the dgmlive concept is a step backwards. I was far more a fan of the KCCC - though even then, you can nearly always buy any of those releases cheaper on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 08:24:35 GMT
I know what you mean, but the range and quality of the downloads is well worth the absence of an actual cd. They supply the artwork, presized etc.... so that you can buy the download, burn the gig onto cd and then put it in a box with a reasonable cover.

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 18:46:04 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Yes, I know...but....I am just a bit stupid I think.... :D

I hate to think how much money I have "wasted" on physical product that could be purchased cheaper and/or easier and/or faster as a download - but I just can't bring myself to do it. I know I am missing out on some really good stuff because of this psychological barrier I just can't seem to break, but hey.....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (788 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  13 Mar 2012
Latest post:  30 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers