Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 May 2011, 22:40:48 BST
On first hearing I was so taken avback I wasn't sure if i even liked it. Grew on me with subsequent plays and eventually became a firm favourite. Even so i have to wonder WTF Planet Caravan is doing on the paranoid album.

Any other square pegs in round holes.

Posted on 11 May 2011, 23:03:36 BST
Greenslade says:
I always thought it fitted perfectly myself.

Posted on 12 May 2011, 12:49:53 BST
Tikka says:
Good Company on Queen's Night at the Opera - I can put up with most of their veering from prog thru' metal and pop to various whimsies (even the national anthem), but Brian's little ditty is just too much.

Posted on 12 May 2011, 17:30:52 BST
James Warner says:
Firebird on Charlotte Hatherley's New Worlds album. It's a sort of WWII singalong style which follows the title track (an indie-pop calypso) and precedes Full Circle (a punchy indie-pop number with prog breaks). My first reaction was 'Whaaa?', then I started to smile. Typical Charlotte, really.

Posted on 12 May 2011, 22:26:05 BST
Puffany says:
Sabbath were the WTF kings:
first album - Sleeping Village
Paranoid - Planet Caravan
Master Of Reality - Solitude
Volume 4 - FX
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Fluff
Sabotage - Supertzar
Technical Ecstasy - the whole album ;-)
Never Say Die - Break Out

Posted on 12 May 2011, 23:05:47 BST
It nearly always irks when bands include a comedy/parody track as if they're trying to say 'hey, it's not all serious - we can be wacky too!' Needless to say the results are often less than satisfactory if not downright incongruous:

ELP - Are You Ready, Eddie? and Benny The Bouncer
Cream - Mother's Lament
Pink Floyd - Seamus
Cactus - Underneath The Arches
Greenslade - Little Red Fry-Up
Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er? (only the band's collective chops stopped this from being a real turkey but even then it's too unsubtle).
Grand Funk Railroad - Big Buns (I love the band but this a cappella snippet was embarrassing - I wonder if they were trying too hard to impress producer Frank Zappa?)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 08:45:14 BST
Post Soviet says:
Hmm, I very like Seamus and D'er Mak'er.

More confusing to me is Carouselambra from Zeps ITTOD, they tried disco or what?

Posted on 13 May 2011, 10:36:39 BST
hi s.c.h. & p.s. - my WTF moment with zeppelin would be "hats off to harper" off what's otherwise a pretty flawless album of theirs. don't mind "d'yer maker" but it's not 1 of their best albums. quite like "carouselambra", & as i've stated before elsewhere, reckon ITTOD a much better album than "presence" (apart from the magnificently bombastic "achilles last stand"), although few seem to agree. can't stand "seamus", thank feck it's last track on old side 1 of "meddle" thus making it easy to skip. one could conclude that humour not exactly the floyd's strongest suit.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 11:01:26 BST
Carradale says:
Talking of Cream, SCH,

"Pressed Rat and Warthog" (much fun tho' it is) on "Wheels of Fire"?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 12:13:56 BST
Not much of a Sabbath fan I see Puffany , barely giving them time of day. Ha!

You don't say if you love or hate them though. (The square pegs that is)

Seamus not a high point but not Floyds lowest either, don't really mind it and think ELPs numbers have a lote going for them though they certainly fit the square peg category.

Posted on 13 May 2011, 13:32:20 BST
Hi Carra - I guess Ginger Baker's deadpan delivery gives Pressed Rat & Warthog a certain 'charm' but I still find it hard work - I'm just a miserable git, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 13:34:02 BST
Carradale says:
I wish it were elsewhere too. Novelty single perhaps.....

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 13:52:21 BST
Puffany says:
Grew up on those Sab albums as they came out, PA. FX is probably the only one I don't care for although you won't catch me listening to Fluff very often. I even like about 2 thirds of Tech Ecs.

Pink Floyd - Not Now John - WTF in a good way - the track on The Final Cut that actually had a tune with a beat.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2011, 14:48:40 BST
Other than a track here and there kinda lost touch with The Sabs after Vol4 though I did recently get set of RJD years.

The Final Cut was IMO perhaps the low point I was referring to (least I think it was that one, have to see their discography again to be sure)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (789 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  11 May 2011
Latest post:  13 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.