Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Black sabbath.....Without Ozzy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2011 12:47:02 GMT
One of my fave bands is Black Sabbath however I find the post Ozzy stuff far more interesting.

Don't get me wrong the original lineup made some fantastic albums but for me the Dio era is untouchable. Dio's voice is amazing and the music the band wrote with him was a lot more varied from the plodding doom laden Ozzy stuff. real shame they only made a few albums.

I also really enjoy the Tony Martin stuff. Black Sabbath were seen as a musical joke by the time Tony Martin came on board but I think Iommi was still in fine writing form and made some great albums.

Anyone else like the non Ozzy Sabbath stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2011 14:01:46 GMT
Yeah...I like both Ozzy and Dio, but NOT Gillan! 'Born Again'? Horrible!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2011 14:19:22 GMT
Love Ozzy, but BS with Dio, the best!!

Posted on 19 Mar 2011 14:38:15 GMT
there is nothing better than original B.S. not the other BS, After Ozzy left or was sacked either way
Black Sabbath still lived on, it seems as though Tony Iommi, still wanted to continue the Sabbath, no matter who was in the band. One of the main reasons why i held the torch, was and always will be around Tony's heavy riffing, he is a monster when on fire there is no one better when it comes to doom laden power chords it may or may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i can't wait to see what he comes up with next. There are some great moments and some ordinary too, but to "Goodbye" i enjoyed a number of albums, my favorite one is "The Eternal Idol" recently bought the 2 disc set, "Seventh Star" with Glenn Huhges what can i say about "Heart Like A Wheel" admittedly they weren't the greatest albums but gee, there was some good stuff, and although not a classic, but i didn't mind "Tyr" & "Cross Purposes" and the Dio material even better, with the late great man himself, as suggested above i have always enjoyed "the riff monster", i have heard worse albums in my time

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2011 21:33:05 GMT
Martin says:
Sabbath were definitely at their best with Dio, almost as if that was their natural peak, and then it was downhill all the way. The album with Gillan comes across more as a poor-quality DP recording or even a Gillan outtakes compilation. Both he and Dio are/were incredible vocalists - two of the very best of the genre, there's no doubt - but for pure metal, RJD had the edge.

Posted on 20 Mar 2011 00:03:46 GMT
Born again has really grown on me over the years. When I first heard it I thought Gillans voice was horrible. He seemed to be almost taking the p*ss with the over top theatrical screams at the end of practically every sentence. I do however recognise that the album contains some great heavy riffs and I really like zero the hero and one or two others.

As for the Tony Martin era I love headless cross but fir me cross purposes was the best album of this time. I think with geezer still in the band following the break up of the Dio reunion his contributions really helped and the album was a heavier more doomy album than any of the other Tony Martin albums.

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 05:48:02 GMT
Tikka says:
Probably fairly typical in my views - I loved Sabbath with Ozzy, and owned all their output up to when he (first) left. As I'd been a bit of a Rainbow fan as well, when Dio joined it just seemed a natural progression, and those two albums, although different, were as strong as anything with Ozzy. After that Sabbath went downhill for me, although to be fair, most of Ozzy's and Dio's solo work also passed me by.

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 21:37:52 GMT
Mr Blackwell says:
best era ? with ozzy no doubt 1970 - 75 untouchable
best singer RJD unquestionably
best album heaven and hell(simply one of thee greatest discs ever)
most underated album Cross Purposes
biggest mistake/ the production on Born Again

Post Sabbath careers? both Ozzy/Dio peaked with their first and second albums after leaving,then returned ever diminishing returns thereafter.

Ozzy and the boys should get together for 1 last hurrah(they wont i know) and call it quits.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 22:13:21 GMT
Martin says:
Well, if they can hang on another seven years, they can do a Cliff & the Shadows-type 50th anniversary 'final reunion'. Just picture them all at 70!

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 22:39:08 GMT
I only have experience of the Mks 1 & II.
No doubt the RJD is by far a more accomlished vocalist but that said he can't come anywhere close the the doomladen sense of threat and menace which Ozzy evoked which kinda takes away a bit when performing earlier numbers even if they are better sung.
The original sabbath are the band who first made me sit up and take notice of music as an entity worth spending time on and Paranoid was the very first album i bought so for me in one sense there can only ever really be one one Black Sabbath.
RJD did pen/co-pen some mighty fine songs though and did prove - most especially when sticking to that material - that Sabbath were very, very much a viable and fantastic unit without the presence of Mr. Osborne (wonder if he is related to george)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 23:06:02 GMT
Martin says:
Dio was just a sensational singer, and made whoever he played with sound good. He was made for metal.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 00:45:25 GMT
Fenix Rising says:
'Black Sabbath were definitely at best with Dio' says Martin. Really? I'd be inclined to say 'You must be f*cking kidding me?' But in a nice way.

Black Sabbath without Ozzy was simply not Black Sabbath...can you seriously imagine Zeppelin continuing without Plant? No friggin way man...they had enough sense to end it when Bonzo met his demise after one too many vodka's. Tony and the boys would have been best to rename the band, I don't blame them for continuing with the name, it makes financial sense and hey, Heaven & hell was a pretty good album. But to suggest that Sabbath was best without Ozzy is just blasphemy and a little ignorant. No disrespect intended.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 16:20:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2011 16:24:26 GMT
" But to suggest that Sabbath was best without Ozzy is just blasphemy and a little ignorant. No disrespect intended."

Sorry buy your post is full of disrespect. I think Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio p*sses all over Ozzy Sabbath so is my post ignorant, of course not it's just my opinion. I feel fortunate that Black sabbath has provided me with so much musically. I love the Ozzy years, plus I really enjoy most of Ozzy's solo records which we wouldn't of had if he had stuck with the band.

Having a singer like Dio in the band gave Sabbath so many options. First off the guy could sing anything so they could play slow and doomy but also speed things up from time to time. Secondly he was a skilled song writer and played several instruments so could contribute to the writing in a far more constructive way than Ozzy ever did.

Did AC/DC become less of a band when they had to replace bon Scott, no they didn't. Plenty of high profile bands have had to replace a vocalist and remained as relevant as they did before.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 21:56:17 GMT
I love the Ozzy stuff, I love the RJD stuff, which is best?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 22:31:27 GMT
Post Soviet says:
AC/DC

Posted on 23 Mar 2011 15:52:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2011 15:53:01 GMT
I got a bit of backlash on a similar thread on the US site for suggesting that the post-Dio albums (well, at least the ones I heard) were inferior to what went before and that from Ian Gillan's recruitment onwards the never-ending line-up changes turned the band into a joke especially coming after over a decade of relative stability. Sorry, but Sabbath should be a proper band, not just a brand name with Iommi and various 'here today gone tomorrow' hired hands.

Posted on 23 Mar 2011 17:35:42 GMT
J. Arthur says:
For me Black Sabbath were 1969-1979 anything after that just does not appeal to me i tried a while back with Born Again and after about the 3rd track i gave up. Geezer,Toni,Bill,Ozzy = Black Sabbath

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2011 17:38:04 GMT
Post Soviet says:
I second it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2011 23:03:17 GMT
Martin says:
Well, oim wit de turds.....

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 10:00:40 GMT
Original was the best.
But other albums were great too.
Especially Born again and Headless cross.

Posted on 24 Mar 2011 11:13:43 GMT
What everybody seems to be overlooking is that the original Sabs were groundbreakers - they pretty much invented 'heavy metal' as we know it !
All versions of Sabbath have released 'poor' albums (Ozzy included - e.g.'Technical Ecstasy'), but without the original stuff we wouldn't have all the later material !
As for Mr. Gillan - I saw him @ Reading in the early 80's and he couldn't hit a note !
Two best Sabbath albums are 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' & 'Heaven and Hell'.
Dio was the best technically but Ozzy was the best frontman!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011 15:01:02 GMT
Martin says:
Hey, Mika, welcome. Finland is a cool country!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011 18:03:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2011 18:04:22 GMT
Not so much overlooking as didn't feel it needed saying. No such thing as heavy metal when Black Sabbath became the band newcomers aspired to and still weren't in Dio's day

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011 21:21:10 GMT
Martin says:
Yes there was - in fact it was already being called NWOBHM. Chief culprits were Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Saxon.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011 21:39:29 GMT
Hallelujah ! I wonder why I bother getting involved in these discussions - most people are sheep. But hey, music's a subjective topic and everyone's entitled to their opinion, just a shame that so many of them are wrong ! Look at the popularity of 'X Factor' ! I rest my case ! Long live Tindersticks, The Brian Jonestown Massacre
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  19 Mar 2011
Latest post:  2 Jun 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions