Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Is it ok to like Toto?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Aug 2010 12:48:13 BDT
Hello Musicheads,
I have been listening to music seriously for 37 years since the age of 10 when I bought "Blockbuster" by Sweet from Boots.
I have an extremely wide musical taste, here are some of theartists/bands that I like and own a considerable amount of recordings by and who I believe going by Mojo magazine etc. it's "ok" to like, here goes.....

Captain Beefheart, Bob Dylan, Beatles,Stones,Fleet foxes,Pistols,Bowie,Miles Davis,Zeppelin,Clash,Beck,Flaming Lips,Springsteen,Hendrix, White Stripes, AC DC,Steely Dan,Floyd,Radiohead,Dr Feelgood , faces, Midlake.... well. you get the picture??

But here's a list I dont think would be favoured by the music police of artists/bands I also love...ok here goes...

Genesis, Van Halen,Journey,It Bites,Aerosmith, Level 42,Go West(now i'm really going for it!!), Santana,Nils Lofgren, Paul Gilbert, Allan Holdsworth, Yes , Deep Purple.....ok now correct me if I'm wrong but all those acts are not"cool"

Oh , and I also like Toto!!

Please discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 12:58:12 BDT
Brass Neck says:
So do I - there ought to be more canines in films!

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 13:43:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 13:44:06 BDT
Toffeeman says:
This is what the forums think, I think.

Genesis - Not on these fora, unless it's before PG left
Van Halen - No, hair too big (it makes a difference apparently)
Journey - No, 'fraid not,
It Bites - Not a clue, never seen them mentioned.
Aerosmith - Difficult this. I think we think the group members are prata, but the music is patchily good
Level 42 - No, most certainly not
Go West - possibly even worse than Level 42
Santana - It's OK to like them but a lot don't.
Nils Lofgren - He's played with Neil Young so he's OK.
Paul Gilbert - Never seen him mentioned
Allan Holdsworth - No he's fine, he can play and he's not well enough known to be despised
Yes - It's OK to like them but the really divide opinion
Deep Purple - See Yes.

Personally I think you like what you like, and I may not like what you like, but i won't judge you on what you like.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 14:02:25 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Van Halen = big thumbs up (if with Dave Lee Roth, otherwise meh).
Aerosmith = likewise but they have had (snort) ups and downs.

Otherwise spot on Toffeeman. It Bites were a pop-prog (not a natural combination?) band who had a palpable No. 6 chart hit with 'Calling All The Heroes', singer/gutarist Francis Dunnery has collaborated widely with folks like Robert Plant, Ian Brown, Lauryn Hill, Santana and Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe but on the whole I don't think there'll be many rabid fans on these here threads.

Big up yer parting philosophy (but he did ask the question!).

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 14:47:13 BDT
....personally i disagree with the view of Genesis apparent on the forums. May seem a bit odd as I have on vinyl most of the Gabriel era but only one studio and a live of Collins.
Collins era IMO was just as good though but musically they were worlds apart.
Nils is a beltin' guitar player but I do wish he'd keep his mouth shut

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 15:32:33 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
A fair bit of AOR in those lists RW that for me is preferential to the vast majority of commercial pap but other than the odd song on a compilation would not find it's way into my collection, Floyd and the Purps are my most played bands, Led Zep, Hendrix,Genesis and Yes get fairly frequent airings, what I've heard by Miles Davis, Steely Dan, Midlake, Santana and Alan Holdsworth is ok, the rest .... well music is a personal thing, we all like what we like, Toto?? listenable in small doses, though they do deserve credit for lifting the paedophile above mediocre status with their riffing on beat it.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 16:17:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 16:18:17 BDT
Carradale says:
It is Popo, Poopoo and Caca wot are frowned on around these here parts......

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 17:28:25 BDT
Ummm Steve Lukather is on "Beat it" doing the der-der- derrrr, der -der -derrrrrr! riff.
Eddie just does the solo and there's another guitar player doing the main riff.
i know that there are Toto members on Thriller and calling Jacko a pedo is another can of worms entirely!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 17:32:22 BDT
Can I add some more bands to my "uncool" list??
How about these....
10cc,Supertramp,Whitesnake, Rainbow,Howard Jones,Spyro Gyra,George Benson,Gary Moore,Slade,The Three Degrees (yes, i'm serious!!) , Eagles.....
I like all these...
Please discuss....

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 17:43:35 BDT
Leftin says:
Well, I don't care if it's ok to like Toto, or any unhip band. Pretty much anyone who disses Toto for that reason has probably appreciated Stave Lukather's guitar playing without knowing it. I think Toto's first album is the best debut of the lot. Great playing and singing, memorable songs, a lot of cool funk as well as quite hard rock, and good lyrics.

Apart from a couple of your '80s entries, I like all the artists you named. The Three Degrees are great, and Deep Purple's my fave band anyway. And Yes are very lady-friendly, believe it or not.........

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 17:45:31 BDT
Leftin says:
PS Mark, I'm glad you have the guts to describe Jackson as most of us see him.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 18:03:20 BDT
Post Soviet says:
TOTO...mmmmm......

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 18:32:48 BDT
Brass Neck says:
10cc produced 3 top albums - the utterly fantastic Sheet Music, the pretty fabulous Original Soundtrack and the rather good How Dare you. As soon as Godley & Creme left ..... meh!
Slade were a mega part of my youth and I've been buying a few of the remasters but their purple patch was quite narrow IMHO - Alive and Slayed are still killers, Old, New is fine but patchy and that's about it for me.
The Eagles were a very consistent band and when I'm in the mood, quite frequently when cycling, it's top singalong stuff.
Rainbow in their first incarnation were brilliant but it all went a bit AOR after Dio left/got booted.
Never quite 'got' Whitesnake despite seeing them on two tours in the Moody/Marsden days.
Supertramp are great on a best-of but I'm not tempted to delve further.
The rest I suspect Jeremy Clarkson would indeed stick in the uncool section but if they go through your coffee filter and come out brown that's just dandy.

Given the general mid to late 70s emphasis and the special mention of the 3 degrees, are you in fact .... our jug-eared future monarch (if he's very lucky) Prince Charles?

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 18:40:49 BDT
D. Reynolds says:
I can't stand them (Toto) but also don't understand why anyone's taste other than your own should ever matter.
There are hundreds of bands lauded by the music press over the years who soon got forgotten, ridiculed or worse. Whether it's Mojo, Q, Classic Rock or NME and Smash Hits, the music press is a fickle beast and regularly makes an absolute arse of itself. Often an entertaining read, can be informative but usually a load of old tosh!

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 18:42:59 BDT
Derek W. says:
What we need is a Top Gear style 'virtual' cool wall, just think of the spirited debate that could provoke. Having quickly scanned my collection, I'm guessing the following would be 'uncool' to the majority.

Barclay James Harvest
Big Country
Eric Clapton (only two honest)
Sheryl Crow
Del Amitri
Dire Straits
Doobie Brothers
Eagles
Post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac
Genesis (mostly post PG live albums)
James
Dave Mason
The Wonder Stuff
Paul McCartney
Post Sandy Denny/Richard Thompson Fairport Convention (got all the pre stuff as well)
Simon and Garfunkel
Saw Doctors
U2
George Thorogood and the Destroyers
Steeleye Span
Yes

As far as TOTO goes, it's OK to like whatever you like, I can't say I've ever heard much of their stuff so I couldn't comment.

I've been known to be rude about some artists that I really can't bear to listen to, but can appreciate that others enjoy their music very much and the best of luck to them, just please don't try and convert me.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 18:47:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 18:50:05 BDT
Leftin says:
Mr. Yeatman, I have to tell you that The Three Degrees is Prince Charles' second-favourite band. Status Quo is the premier outfit for Chas. He saw Quo live in '82, and was seen headbanging to Don't Drive One's Car.

"And here one goes, And here one goes, Rocking all over Mum's world..."

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 18:59:20 BDT
Some of mine for the seriously uncool and/or averagely uncool parts of the wall (while there's still room...)

Kula Shaker, Uriah Heep, Status Quo, Chicago, Vanilla Fudge, Blood Sweat & Tears, Grand Funk Railroad, Rare Earth, Blue Oyster Cult, Groundhogs, Atlanta Rhythm Section...

I still listen to this lot but if anyone disputes the inclusion of any of the above I'd like to know why!

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 19:09:13 BDT
Here's my take on "the list"

Genesis - No thank you
Van Halen - absolutely great, for me Eddie is one of the masters of the guitar even if he is a show off.
Journey - OK
It Bites - No thank you!
Aerosmith - another classic raock band - great.
Level 42 - No thank you.
Go West - No thank you.
Santana - one of the best things to come out of the SF scene - been buying his albums since '69.
Nils Lofgren - a great performer and artist in his own right.
Paul Gilbert - no thank you.
Allan Holdsworth - no thank you.
Yes - one of the best British bands of all time IMHO.
Deep Purple - a good UK rock band, but not really my cup of coffee.
Toto - love 'em and not ashamed to say so - buy The Collection - still available at a bargain price.

I have never given a damn on what people think of my taste or what is fashionable or cool, I just like what I like and buy what I like.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 19:09:25 BDT
Derek W. says:
Chicago hmmm - pre or post Peter Cetera may affect the decision. Blue Oyster Cult, probably uncool but I don't care I think they're great, one of the bands I've failed to see live that I'd really like to. Probably have to give you the rest though, although Rare Earth I know nothing about!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 19:10:22 BDT
Leftin says:
Stephen - Did you get rid of the Gilbert O'Sullivan albums, then? :)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 19:12:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 19:17:39 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Status Quo had an unimpeachable run of classic boogie from Dog of Two Head to Quo Live and at the time were, to quote the Inspiral Carpets, cool as f*ck. The fact they totally undermined this position with chart-driven drivel means they and their work are now seriously uncool however.
BOC likewise were very left-field heavy rockers with a definite intellectual cool quotient for a good run of early albumsin the 70s which again was pissed up the wall with a shift into glossy AOR.
GFR were too dumb to be cool but then again it's no accident they're Homer Simpson's fave band - all together now 'We're an American band..'. They never sold out or changed much?
The Groundhogs surely had a serious obscure cool amongst the patchouli and great-coated long-haired hordes of the early 70s? They're not a big blip on my radar but did they ever abandon their modus operandi to warrant an uncool label?
The rest ... yeah, OK, uncool.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 19:14:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 19:24:26 BDT
Music Addict - I have the first six Chicago studio albums. They hadn't quite gone on the turn by the sixth one but surely they will remain pariahs because of what followed?

Yes, Leftin - and I hope you received them OK!

MY - I think Groundhogs were namechecked a bit by the grunge crowd back in the early 90s but that's about the only time I ever heard them being mentioned by anyone who could be considered cool at the time.

Grand Funk became much more radio-friendly from about 72 onwards reaching a peak with the 'We're An American Band' and 'Shinin' On' albums. After that it was definitely a case of diminishing returns. The first two Grand Funk albums (from 1969) are knucklehead classics.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 19:19:46 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Seriously uncool candidate No. 1 (surely no detractors?)

James Blunt

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 19:33:32 BDT
Yes I agree and unfortunately my wife likes him!!
Agh!!
Does anybody here think that Video killed the radio star is a classic pop song?
Also When Smokey sings by ABC is brilliant as well.
Is it ok to like these and Captain Beefheart?
Or am I mentally ill??

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 19:43:50 BDT
I'd better add ELP to my list as well - I'm surprised no-one else has!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  30 Aug 2010
Latest post:  2 Sep 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions