Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is Prog?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 329 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012, 14:09:55 GMT
Derek WW says:
...especially if you got the coat wet. Mine got left behind in the basement of the house that we were renting, and someone broke in and tried to set fire to the coat for some strange reason, but it just smoldered for a while and went out. I think they had to fumigate the basement to get the smell out though!

Posted on 23 Mar 2012, 17:06:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2012, 17:06:29 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Misguided or not I agree with MCW. There was a Prog movement that started to grow legs in response the the 60's 3 minute (boy meets girl) pop songs. The Berlin and Dusseldorf Schools Of Music were producing the musicians who would eventually become the main German contribution (Krautrock). Bands like Aphrodites Child (Greece), PFM (Italy), Wigwam (Finland), Ange (France) were contributing from other parts of Europe. Magma are still producing a similar sound to the sound they produced during the Prog rock years however the movement has long since disappeared. Magma used to be front page news on many additions of Sounds, NME and Melody Maker. They're still making their same unique brand of music but without the significance and media interest that the prog movement gave to them.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012, 17:21:20 GMT
A customer says:
that wallpaper is fascinating, I've never really noticed it before, its almost multilayered, what an evening ahead I have. I'm nearly touching cloth in anticipation

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012, 18:14:10 GMT
Prairie dogging?

Posted on 23 Mar 2012, 18:14:34 GMT
Turtle necking?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012, 19:40:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2012, 19:41:41 GMT
S.R.J says:
Im intrigued Richard, why does the repetition of a statement necessarily lend it an air of validity in the blatantly obvious face of the dereliction of its premise? (hey that sounds good dunnit?)
"definetly not used and did not come into being until the early 80s", there are numerous instances, as have been given, where this is clearly not the case ...............so.................?
S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012, 19:59:36 GMT
Kevin says:
Lots of lovely old prog on BBC4 tonight!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012, 20:22:32 GMT
TheFoe says:
Let's hope it clashes with Family Guy and American Dad! ;-)

Posted on 23 Mar 2012, 21:32:06 GMT
What I'm trying to emphaze is the fact the word prog was not used in the early/mid 70s.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012, 22:44:25 GMT
A customer says:
I have some fine scatter cushions if anyones interested ?

Posted on 24 Mar 2012, 04:35:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2012, 04:39:49 GMT
I've kept out of this so far...but here goes!
My favourite band King Crimson was certainly an early 'progressive' band, however I reckon by 1973 they were doing much more in the way of experimental music..Fripp was never happy with the term 'Progressive Rock' and he never had much truck with ELP or Genesis by the mid 70's. Actually by the time of the release of 'Red' in '74 they were almost heading towards the 'stadium/hard rock mainstream. He disbanded the group before punk and was the first person to use the term 'dinosaurs' when describing the early 70's bands. He was pretty savvy in my opinion. Whilst ELP were putting out such utter s'ite like 'Works Vol. 2' or (even worse!) the total disgrace that was 'Love Beach' and Yes had been reduced to putting out the musical crime that was 'Tormato', Fripp had realised the game was up and had immersed himself in the New York Punk/New Wave scene. Nobody who has heard any of the 80's reformed Crimson albums could have called what they were putting out as 'Progressive Rock' however when you hear the influences of funk, disco, New Wave etc..you might deduce that in fact that in his absorbing of those types of music he was truly being Progressive in so far as moving his music on!
Talking as someone who likes both 'Progressive' and Punk music..there was loads of crossovers between the two as far as I could make out! Johnny Rotten was basically a Hawkwind loving Afgan Coat wearing hippy before McClaren got his hands on him, early Punk bands like the Damned were total Prog fans! Captain Sensible's favourite music was early Floyd/Syd Barrett! Other early punk bands like ATV (Mark Perry) were big time Love fans and were also was into Hendrix, Yes, Led Zepp etc. Don't get me started on the Stranglers! Intelligent Punk bands such as the Subway Sect and Magazine displayed obvious influences of the psych/progressive bands. In the New York Punk scene, bands like Television certainly tipped their hat towards 'art rock' or the Velvet Underground (nobody can tell me 'Marquee Moon' is anything but 'art rock'!)
At the end of the day, there is some great progressive music but also a lot of rubbish Progresive music, also there were some great Punk tracks just as much as their was lots of total crud punk tracks...Me? I love it all!!!!!!!!

Posted on 24 Mar 2012, 07:11:22 GMT
easytiger says:
Aye, why were TV classed as punk? The era? Spikey hair? When you listen to it, 'Marquee Moon' could have been written circa 1970. Oh dear, what have I said?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2012, 07:54:33 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Nice summary of what's been written many times in the music press SM but prog wasn't just about a few popular English bands. I know nothing about punk other than hearing and liking some of it. I'm reading this at the moment
The England's Dreaming Tapes Facinating stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 19:55:53 BST
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2012, 19:56:49 BST
yes it was actually .

prog was a very british genre that came from universities and public schoolboys which is why it was crap self indulgent , pretentious and boring

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 20:40:41 BST
J. Wright says:
Porcupine Tree is very much a Prog band and have been since inception,gotta remember Prog can also be used to describe music or bands that simply Progress their sound in unsual or different ways ie Metallica-Structure and length of songs,30 seconds to Mars-Elements of several genres as well as unsual time signatures and melodies,Coheed and Cambria-elements of several genres infused with radically differing compositions.Again its pretty difficult to define it completely as its elements stretch into several genres over many decades

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 21:10:14 BST
porcupine tree are english.

i was refering to the real prog back in the late 60's early 70's.

Posted on 25 Mar 2012, 21:49:31 BST
There was much virtuosity displayed in prog which for some reason became shunned by the UK public although the US delighted in it. Punk appeared to me to dislike/disapprove of any musical ability and celebrated incompetence instead. Perhaps that is why it left me cold!!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 22:18:24 BST
N. Hudson says:
OK, I just don't get this: "What I'm trying to emphaze is the fact the word prog was not used in the early/mid 70s."

Are we perhaps forgetting that something can exist, no matter what it is called? I don't know when the word prog was first used, or why, but feel this is vaguely irrelevant. There is a reasonably obvious genre of music that can be labelled prog. It might be a bit blurry around the edges, but the vast proportion of bands known as prog would be accepted as being prog by most people. (Some people might also be described as blurry around the edges.)

Just because it wasn't called prog at the time, doesn't mean it is considered prog now - and therefore was at the time, even before it was called that. Take a tree, for example. At some point in time, it gained the label tree. Trees did not exist only after that label was given to them, and the objects in the past that were not called trees at the time were still trees. (For the record, there are still trees around now...)

Mr Jones can emphasise as much as he likes that the word prog was not used in the early/mid 70s. That doesn't mean it wasn't prog. And no, various known proponents of prog have over the years derided and denied the label (both Fripp and Gabriel, eg, as have already been mentioned by others in this discussion). But just as the music was prog, no matter what it was called in the early/mid 70s - so certain bands were prog, no matter whether or not the members of those bands wished to be labelled as such.

Prog is still around, and recognisably prog. The boundaries may have changed (progressed?), the music may be different (progressed?), but prog is still around. I don't really understand why anyone would wish to claim otherwise, especially certain people whose opinion I usually agree with on this forum. All I can think is that perhaps it is because the "golden age" (not that I really think of it as such myself) of prog has been and gone, and did have a reasonably marked end to it, that they therefore wish to state that prog has been and gone and not returned. It does leave a lot of bands without a genre - apart from the rather meaningless (given how many variants there are) "rock".

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 22:28:40 BST
A customer says:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 22:43:48 BST
Is one continuous movement, sst?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 22:45:59 BST
A customer says:
I'm considering adding more keyboards ? Too much ?

Posted on 25 Mar 2012, 22:58:38 BST
N. Hudson says:
Is there such a thing as "too much" in prog?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012, 23:47:35 BST
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2012, 23:48:35 BST
Really? Other than Genesis...name the Public Schoolboys who were involved in the 'genre'! You won't come up with as many as you think!
We've already pointed out that such people as Emerson, Anderson, Squire, Fripp, Family, Wakeman etc..were basically from lower middle class/working class families. That's a bit of a cliché R 'n' R!

Posted on 26 Mar 2012, 01:23:13 BST
No, Mr.H. Self indulgent is good. The more self indulgent the better.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012, 06:37:02 BST
easytiger says:
I shall be seeing my wife tomorrow. She has told me that because of frequent power cuts in Pointe Noire, biscuits are again short supply. Oops, sorry, wrong thread.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (790 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  329
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  24 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers