Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Best Live Albums (Not Bootlegs)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 170 posts in this discussion
Posted on 10 Dec 2012 23:11:43 GMT
Callie says:
The Allman Brothers band-"Live at the Fillmore"
The Band-"Rock of ages"
John Cale-"Sabotage"
Neil Young-"Time fades away"
Jefferson Airplane-"Bless it's pointed little head"
Neil Young and Crazy horse-"Weld"
Alex Chilton-"Live in London"

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 23:02:14 GMT
No don't ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 22:52:25 GMT
Puffany says:
@ Doyle, is that Dylan album vol. 5 of the Bootleg series? If it is, I'm totally with you on that one. I reckon if it had been released in the 70s, it would've sold mountains of copies and be recognized as a legendary live album to a much wider audience. Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971 could've been in the same boat. Don't get me started on Grateful Dead...

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 22:41:00 GMT
Doyle says:
Blackfoot - Highway Song Live
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
Dylan - Live 1975
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Jethro Tull - Bursting out

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 19:02:26 GMT
P AT KEOGH says:
ive got it brillant

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 18:01:30 GMT
they are mp3 files.

what problem you having, and what boot and file server is it?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 17:57:41 GMT
Hear Rock City wont let me download :-(

They must be mp3 files going by the tiny size of the zipped download.....

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 16:48:03 GMT
Yep, I have that Hot Rod Twingo readio broadcast.

Must go dig through that site.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 09:09:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 09:24:37 GMT
mine is a soundboard but wheres frank seems very professional. easily the best of the zztop boots i have. also both donington gigs are there too

i didnt even know frank wasnt on it until you mentioned earlier.

interesting wish list you have there mate.....good to see dr feelgood on there.

sorry my hot rod twingo is an fm broadcast not soundboard

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 09:06:20 GMT
Splendid!!

That, if memory serves correctly, is the only ZZ Top gig where one of them was sick.

There are two versions of Twingo, both of which I have heard, and one of them is almost legit quality, perhaps you have the dodgy one, or else the one I got is that one incorrectly named.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:57:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 09:01:37 GMT
i just looked it up and john douglas is on drums , so possibly.

its also from paris but 2002. i think it sounds better than hot rod twingo and has a better set list

listening now and its twice the sound quality of hot rod twingo. almost sounds like an official release.....as good as live in germany(rockpalst)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:40:57 GMT
Must check it out RnR!

Good ZZ Top boots where so hard to find when I was in major boot mode, the best of which seemed to circulate amongst those who only traded with someone who had DNA samples of the band etc.......which meant I never got to hear them :-(

Is that the gig when Frank was ill?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:30:02 GMT
hot rod twingo is not bad smitty but have you heard "wheres frank"?

you can download it and more zztop from hear rock city

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:25:03 GMT
That Fandango live section was recorded in some small club with a low roof and is part of what sounds like a killer show. I am sure they have the whole thing somewhere, but the Tops management seem to be incredibly reluctant to release any significant amount of live material.

The German Rockpalast stuff you mention has been out in more complete form on bootleg for years and is a great show. The Donnington live stuff used as bonus material on the Eliminator reissue sounds woeful compared to a tape I had recorded on the day from the BBC live broadcast, which annoyed me no end as I thought I was in for a sonic upgrade.

The live section on XXX is also a glimpse of a great show, frustrating in its brevity.

If you are able to download Hot Rod Twingo, a bootleg from Paris a couple of years ago, do so, as it is a really good show and in well above average sound quality. Another chance for the management to beat the boots, but no :-(

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 01:36:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 07:25:05 GMT
Puffany says:
Some metal:

Alive in Athens by Iced Earth. I'm very picky with metal bands and like this band enough. This live album is potent.

That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires (2CD) by Megadeth. This is awesome. Contains nearly all of their best songs and every one of those songs are even better live. The dvd from this gig shows how incredible these guys can play.

Sonisphere 'Live From Sofia' - This dvd/cd box set of Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica is indispensable. They all played blistering sets at this one gig. The collectors box set has each individual band's own gig immortalized on cd. Those cds are not available seperately. Amazing gig.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 00:27:25 GMT
Lez Lee says:
John Cale - Circus: Live
Worth getting for Venus in Furs alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 00:13:12 GMT
ZZ Top has a live cd recorded in 1980 from a German tv show with most of De Guello on it. It's pretty damn good It' s definitely worth checking out.

Posted on 4 Dec 2012 20:05:54 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Dec 2012 20:09:47 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 19:25:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 05:56:46 GMT
You are correct about the Pistols being a fully formed band with songs, Simon Ritchie (Sid Vicious) couldn't really play the bass, he only plays on one song on Never Mind the Bollocks, but Matlock was out and their manager Mclaren thought he looked like a Sex Pistol, so he was in. Lydon didn't really like the Ramones because they had long hair, looked too much like hippies, who he hated, and they played songs that were too simple and all sounded the same. In 1976 members of the Pistols and the Clash saw the Ramones perform at a club in London. The Clash were influenced by that show because of a conversation with the band where Johnny Ramone said, "We stink, we can't play, but just go for it." The influence was that if you believe in your music and you have attitude just go out and play it doen't matter how well you play your instrument. Still, It's Alive is a great live album. I knew the Pistols saw the Ramones live. but it was '76 not '77. Thanks for your factual correction. You have to be careful when you post on the internet someone will catch your mistake and point it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 16:26:06 GMT
The Ramones "It's Alive" gabba gabba hey The Sex Pistols were at the show and it moved them to do what they did.

what was that then? bring in a junkie on bass coz thats what happened a month after this was recorded. all the pistols classic songs and lp were recorded before this concert

Posted on 4 Dec 2012 16:09:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 22:32:10 GMT
I could mention the usual suspects Live at Leeds, Allmans Fillmore, DP Made in Japan , but I'll mention some overlooked or forgotten great live albums.
Jerry Lew Lewis-"Live at The Star Cub '64 Greatest live album ever. The drummer probably needed oxygen after the show he's playing so fast to keep up with Jerry Lee.
Marshall Tucker Band "Live on Long Island 1980" These guys are better than Lynyrd Skynyrd, they are more versatile. Recorded two weeks before Tommy Caldwell the bass player was killed in a car accident.
The Ventures "Live in Japan '65" The whole album just smokes from start to finish.
Ian Hunter " Welcome to the Club" It just a great live album.
Robin Trower-"Live" Trower is a tremendous guitar player, I love his tone.
King Crimson-"Live USA" incredible live playing by the band John Wetton's bass sounds monsterous and huge.
The Ramones "It's Alive" gabba gabba hey The best live punk album ever made.
Van Morrison "Asteral Weeks Live from Hollywood Bowl" it will move your spirit, a transcendent listening experience.
Todd Rundgren "Back to the Bars" Great recording with an excellent group musicians backing him up.
Leon russell "Leon Live" Leon Russell plays with soul, passion, energy, and it rocks like crazy.
This really doesn't qualify because it's only one side of an album, but ZZ Top "Fandango" it's only about fiveteen minutes long they just kick ass on the live side. I wish it was longer.

Posted on 7 Nov 2012 15:06:43 GMT
James Carey says:
Three more that I would add to my list
Humble Pie-Performance:Rockin' The Fillmore
Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus
Santana-Abraxas

Posted on 7 Nov 2012 14:56:39 GMT
James Carey says:
Find it hard to say any of these are better than each other but here in no particular order is a list of what I consider to be great live albums:
Thin Lizzy-Live and Dangerous
The Who-Live at Leeds
Deep Purple-Made in Japan
UFO-Strangers in The Night
Ian Hunter-Welcome to The Club
Rory Gallagher-Irish Tour 74 and Stagestruck and Live in Europe
Rolling Stones-Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out
AC/DC-If You Want Blood
Motorhead-No Sleep Til Hammersmith
Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East
Lynyrd Skynyrd-One More From The Road
Neil Young-Live Rust

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 19:07:35 BDT
N. Hudson says:
That's rather out of left field! :D
I own that, but haven't listened to it for ages. Good album!

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 18:14:49 BDT
B Rep says:
Denis Leary's NO CURE FOR CANCER (sheer genius!)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  4 Mar 2012
Latest post:  31 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions