Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is Prog?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-329 of 329 posts in this discussion
Posted on 17 Jun 2013, 16:15:09 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2013, 16:25:58 BST
RedAlFire says:
Prog...a 4 letter word used as an abbreviation for Progressive. Both terms are used as a battle cry for a veritable plethora of self-opinionated musical 'experts' to bash others over the head with when any disagreement to their angle on 'prog' is dared to be questioned.

OK, I'm generalising...but be honest, there are so many who take the mantle of prog and happily rattle on for hours about what is, and what can never be, labelled with a pretty nondescript 4 letter word getting more irate and dogmatic with each post. I enjoy a large amount of the music that is (allegedly) indicated by the word, along with a lot of music that isn't...but perhaps should be. I include it in the general 'prog' term, but then discover that some 'expert' has decided it isn't and wants to rant and rave that he is right. If I disagree I'm told that I'm narrow minded and that 'expert' has the right to his opinion, which appears to be the only accepted one and I should listen...if I reply I usually get told I'm wrong because 'expert' has seen such and such a band or has the original recording of such and such a track or heard it on a programme about 'prog' or from a musician who was a 'God' in prog or 'is old enough to remember the birth of prog' or that they just 'know' (whereas I of course do not).

Who gives a flying 'prog'? By nature all music is progressive, no two performances can be the same whether 'live' or studio there must be a difference. A different interpretation or performance is still a progression, whether better or worse, faster or slower. Goes for original music and covers.

Progressive Rock was a far better term (even though it has always thrown up the same kind of 'experts') and the perfidious deterioration of the English language over the years gave/gives us 'Prog'. The necessity for the word 'Progressive' (or it's abbreviation) is really quite outdated now, there are just too many ways that music of every description is progressing given new techniques, equipment and the like. Pretty sure most of us don't hold with most of the results...but isn't that what it's all about? Time for a new word!!!

I have my own genres and classifications nowadays....I like, I might like, I don't like as much. The collection is far more manageable and progs are restricted solely to the TV!

Disclaimer: This is a general observation (with my tongue a little in my cheek) based on quite a few responses (but certainly not all) I've encountered on threads on this subject.

I fully realise that most of you on here are interested in the subject as a matter of discussion and perhaps enjoy the cut and thrust of arguments over what is and what isn't, I'm certainly not intimating that any of you have been the 'expert' I have indicated...unless of course you want to be! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013, 16:54:16 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2013, 17:04:41 BST
Red Mosquito says:
Quite right, who gives a Flying Teapot?..................another wonderful example of 1970s prog. Be warned though, this particular copy does not contain the original version of the track 'Flying Teapot' although you do get the original vinyl front cover.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013, 18:48:54 BST
RedAlFire says:
If you don't mind I'll stick this on before I get into yours...The Kettle

Posted on 24 Jul 2013, 00:52:35 BST
Shadowblade says:
Can anyone help me with this?
When I was about 11 or 12 in the early '70s I was in a record and Head shop in St Ives called "Chy an Stylus", walls covered in Roger Dean posters, beads and bongs on sale and music playing, lots of jangling 12 string guitars, melodic hook after the chorus and all I really remember are the words:

"And when you think you've got it all (drum drum drum), you haven't got a thing" (wah-wah-wah-waaah-waaah on lead)

Nearly 40 years later I have heard every thing of value Yes, Gentle Giant and Genesis have ever produced (none of those), most by Jethro Tull (definitely not them), Camel, Floyd etc etc and have never managed to find out who it was. I really don't think it was Supertramp, Greenslade, Gong, Steve Hillage or anyone else I can think of.

Any ideas?
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (790 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  329
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  24 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers