Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Nine Inch Nails - Trent Reznor one of the best artists this century has seen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Sep 2008, 18:49:44 BST
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2008, 21:30:27 BST
Tommy says:
In my opinion Mr. Reznor has done a lot for music in the last few years.

Agree or disagree??

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2008, 20:36:07 BST
Agree. Reznor is an under-rated genius.
NIN have so much to offer.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2008, 21:31:41 BST
Tommy says:
The fragile in my opinion is one of the best records ever made

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008, 23:54:02 BST
I cant really pick a favourite from The Fragile, Downward Spiral and With Teeth.
All brilliant in their own way

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2008, 19:34:47 BST
D. Frost says:
Agreed, 99% if not all are total amazing, one song can't be properly compared to the next new or old.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008, 14:19:36 BST
Iommi1 says:
Head like a hole pretty good, then rest pretty much run of the mill.....

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008, 16:52:31 BST
yeah head like a hole good but then he just went weird

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008, 15:24:03 BST
spiderboris says:
I do think Reznor's proven himself to be an important artist but his problem now is that's he's in danger of being stuck in a rut and repeating himself, endlessly turning out either thrashing industrial bangers or noodling Brian Eno-esque ambient stuff. I think the Fragile is perhaps one of the greatest alt-metal-electronic albums ever made, although he's often let down by his often embarrasingly teenage lyrics which, as with many so-called nu-metal types, usually seem to revolve around the 'Grrr, I hate myself, I hate my friends, I hate the world, I'm going insane, Raaaaargh!' topic - although he's certainly diversified in recent years with Year Zero, as well as the Radiohead route of being so rich he probably has the luxury option of giving stuff away - we had Ghosts, The Slip and also check out his Niggy Tardust collaboration with Saul Williams - who oddly sounds almost exactly like a rapping version of Reznor, at least on that album. Not many heavy or so-called extreme artists have pushed the envelope as much as him.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008, 20:29:56 BST
As long as he keeps giving away his music for free, he can stay in his rut.
Whether its a rut or not......I think he is fortunate enough to just indulge himself completely these days.
I downloaded The Slip and Ghosts from the website for nothing, so good a bad i am not complaining, whatever he produces its still art.
I also subscribe to his podcast, where there are re-mixes of almost every track for free as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2008, 06:53:50 BST
Tommy says:
@Butler

The podcasts from NIN are nearly all awesome. But I have to go along with "Colin", I do fear, too, that Reznor is in a rut. I can´t see at the moment how he will get out of there. Well, some might argue as long as I can download the stuff for free i´ts OK by me, but for me that is not the point.

I would see him, for example, doing a full album of songs with only his voice and piano, like he did on "Still". That was to me bloody amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2008, 11:23:52 BST
No. He / they are rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2008, 12:00:11 BST
Tommy says:
@Stevie

Thanks for your deep thoughts ;-))

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2008, 14:11:43 BST
A. Mee says:
I'd have to agree with Stevie Maudsley. It's truly depressing to hear David Bowie comparing NIN to The Velvet Underground.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008, 05:13:30 BST
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2008, 05:15:38 BST
N. W. says:
These days I only listen to his instrumentals.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008, 12:45:29 BST
Sera69 says:
Great? Yes. But only within his niche which, you have to admit, is pretty narrow.

To be "one of the best artists this century has seen" he'd need to break free to wider acceptance. Trent Reznor/NIN have yet to produce a 'Dark Side of the Moon' or 'Metallica' or 'Thriller'

But there is still time.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008, 12:53:10 BST
Tommy says:
@Sera69

I do think they have with "The Fragile". But I believe you see genius/creativity only in figures, say how many units someone sells. Yes, Pink Floyd sold more so did "Wacko Jacko" with "The Thriller". But is figures everything???

"The Fragil" is complex and has great melodies to offer and combines different musical styles and mostly it grows with every listen. What more do you want from a grat album.

I´m not interested in how many units a band sells, I´m only interrsted in music.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008, 13:30:38 BST
Sera69 says:
No, no, no! I would never equate genius with sales. Ever!
Just have to point that out.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2008, 13:20:33 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Just trying to invigerate some of the older interesting discussions. Reznor's contribution to the progression of music is immence. I believe it to be as significant as ( The Beatles, Krautrock etc etc)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2008, 21:15:29 GMT
spiderboris says:
Well there's certainly an argument for it. Going back and listening to Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral, even the Fragile, you might not have imagined the amount of influence those albums could have had but you can hear traces of it everywhere, judging from the amount of industrial / Goth / nu-metal-type bands who have followed in NIN's wake and ripped that sound off substantially, many blatantly so, it's just that sometimes when you hear a band going in for clanging mechanical beats, distinctly raw whispered-screamed vocals to the sort of dense programming and song construction Reznor went in for on the Fragile, you can see exactly where they're coming from. Marilyn Manson for one I think owes virtually all of his success to Reznor's initial patronage, all he did was drag that sound into the mainstream, whether for better or worse.

There are certain artists who manage this sort of influence, and sometimes when you hear bands in interviews namechecking their favourite albums and the like, sometimes it sounds incongruous - like Gerard Way I think has said that he really admires The Smashing Pumpkins and although you can't exactly hear it in the music, that's may be what he's aiming for in terms of feeling and image more than anything else. And sometimes regardless of whether a band were enormously sucessful in their day or even if they weren't critically well recieved, there are certain innovative things that they do which filter down.

Although again Reznor was hardly incredibly original in the first place, taking influence from all manner of places; David Bowie and Talking Heads, both of those artists' work with Brian Eno, the early industrial stuff like Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Front 242 and Ministry - and a lot of eighties British synth-pop and electronic pop, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Gary Numan and the like. The smartest artists I think are not the ones who jump on the bandwagon that everyone else is following, but more liberally steal from musicians they admire and reinvent those old sounds for a new generation.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008, 11:34:20 GMT
Hmmm. Much prefer The Young Gods meself who've been knocking around for yonks but I guess they're a tad too left field for the drones who run the music industry and media.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008, 19:49:48 GMT
AJ says:
Pales in comparison to the mighty Alien Jourgensen - Ministry, Revolting Cocks, 1000 Homo DJ's, Lard, Acid Horse, PTP, Pigface, Pailhead and so on....

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2009, 13:10:15 GMT
Tommy says:
Well

Pigface was not a project of Allan Jourgensen. That was started by Martin Atkins of PIL, Killing Joke fame

Posted on 5 Mar 2009, 19:12:11 GMT
A. Holland says:
I'm pretty new to Trent Reznor's sruff, but recrntly purchaed one of his albums 'Year Zero' and liked it so much went out a bought a load more. His inventiveness is staggering and I disagree that he's in a rut. In fact, I think he's one of those artists who is difficult to categorise - I think he's created a genre of his own. The whole goth thing is certainly way too confining for somebody like Trent Reznor.

Posted on 5 Mar 2009, 23:56:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Mar 2009, 23:58:45 GMT
spiderboris says:
I was going to resurrect this thread a few days ago when I read the news that Reznor is planning to finally bring Nine Inch Nails to an end after the next tour.

And on top of that, he's producing the new Jane's Addiction album - surely a collaboration to get excited about, seeing as both bands were fairly important artists when it came to spearheading the invasion of 'alternative' music (well, whatever that was) into the mainstream back in the day.

Intriguing news about the threatened 'breakup', although the demise of NIN as a band name surely won't make a massive amount of difference to whatever Trent does in the future, seeing as how the NIN albums are usually primarily the work of one man...

Have you heard the 'Still' album yet, A. Holland? Was originally released as a limited edition with their live album - really minimal, weird and quiet stripped-back versions of earlier songs and some out-there instrumentals. One of their best releases I'd say...

Posted on 6 Mar 2009, 00:21:27 GMT
He does NIN brilliantly, but its limited. The major strength is the production, especially the work he did with Flood. The songs dried up after 'Perfect Drug'. How anyone could rate 'The Fragile' over 'Downward Spiral' is beyond me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (790 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  19 Sep 2008
Latest post:  14 Mar 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.