Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Is the C.d/album format dead?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Nov 2008 18:09:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2008 18:10:05 GMT
FDJ says:
With the advent of the Download(itunes etc.)does the c.d have a place in marketing music.Personaly i like to have a product i can phisicaly look at ,to read or just rest my coffee cup on.What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 18:39:11 GMT
Blueslover says:
CD's are ok but a bit sterile.I love good old vinyl,touchy feely usually with a few extras(photos,posters,lyric sheets etc)and you feel like you've got something for your money.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 19:03:28 GMT
I think the traditional album format started to get into to trouble with the CD - leading some bands to start filling the full 80 minutes with, erm, quite a bit of filler, and leading the next generation to think, why bother? attention-span deficit young scamps that they are.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2008 15:59:26 GMT
zargb5 says:
Yeah we 've got a bit spoilt with cd lengths. Its great to fit a whole symphony onto a single cd, but when we get 35 minute albums on cd we feel cheated.

Unless we get a lot more lossless downloads like FLAC serious music listeners just aren't going to go with poorer quality mp3.
A cd comes in at 1411 kbps while the best mp3 can muster is either 256 or 320kbps. Its just not good enough. You lose so much musical information.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2008 11:35:44 GMT
I could not agree more about having something to physically look at. I think CDs will be around for a long time to come. I read an article that says a large percentage still prefer to buy the CDs than download them. I miss the vinyl world what with the readable covers and the warmer sound that LPs give, but think CDs are acceptable over just downloading them, Plus, as another reviewer pointed out, the sound quality wins over MP3s.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 09:33:13 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Given that 'black is back', vinyl that is. Are those who regretted its demise buying it again? Most albums are now available on vinyl and much of the 180g and 200g stuff is really good quality. Any recent good or bad experiences?

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 10:56:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 11:05:24 BDT
Them Crooked Vultures on vinyl was distinctly better sounding than the cd. It was on 2 12" vinyls, so the grooves are cut in good solid vinyl. The Pink Floyd Echoes best of was a 4 12" event with the most splendid packaging I have seen in a while. A friend of mine has the best playback setup I have ever heard and until recently the vinyl playback was significantly better than the cd, however his new cd player has caught up with the vinyl. Mind you it cost £5000 and the last one, which was not as good as the vinyl was £4000, so unless this is your spending region it is possible to get a sound setup for less dough using vinyl than cd. CD is very handy and never has skips etc.... and is cheaper to buy than good vinyl and takes up less space on shelves.

As for cds dissappearing, I am not sure about that. I have an iTunes account and never use it. I prefer to buy the cds and rip them myself to the quality I want. I have downloaded a lot of stuff, legit flacfiles in superb quality, from dgmlive, being a big King Crimson fan, and have always burned the music onto disc, printed the covers for them, put them in a box and onto the shelf. The stuff that I have downloaded otherwise tends to get forgotten about if it it lurks in the hard drive.

I still prefer to buy than download.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 11:14:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 12:51:17 BDT
? I am on the wrong thread!

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 12:11:21 BDT
jaimes moran says:
i own a jukebo that plays cds like records (envy me)
and yes it is dead to the younger genaration, but you cant beat the look of a cd or record (downloadable songs aint even there for crying out loud)

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 12:37:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 14:33:27 BDT
Despite initial reservations the CD format was fine with me once prices came down and back catalogues hitherto unavailable on vinyl were made available (especially if they were remastered and not 'straight to CD' conversions. Good point made about artists feeling compelled to put more than 40 minutes of music on disc though - the words wheat and chaff sprung to mind in a lot of cases. I personally have no real lingering affection for vinyl any more and am currently selling off a lot of my collection for space purposes.

I imagine a lot of younger listeners these days are not into any visuals apart from the accompanying videos to current songs so CDs for them are probably totally irrelevant unless they have retro tastes where packaging may serve as a visual aid to unfamiliar music. Should this way of thinking continue then the CD format will be appreciated mainly by the age group currently using them, i.e. us. After us they may well be finished, or at the very least, treated with increasing disdain by future generations who didn't grow up with them. Can we trust any younger relations to cherish our collections once we're gone?

Apart from when I've had a few discs ripped by others for me I never download or rip in any shape or form as I still like to have some kind of visual connection with the package that houses the music I'm listening to (especially necessary with vocal classical music where you often need synopses and libretti). Although, if your CD collection was lost in a fire or stolen at least the downloads would be saved assuming the PC/laptop survived. Nor do I listen to music 'on the move', so to speak (20-odd years ago I was nearly run over as I never heard an oncoming van while crossing the road due to playing a Walkman at full blast), so MP3s etc. are not for me, although I can understand how useful they are for people who want to listen to music while away on holiday etc.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 12:54:53 BDT
Toffeeman says:
I'm with most here in that I like having something tangible rather than a download, and, in general I'm pretty happy with CD.

Even if I do download something, I tend to make it (and others) into a music CD with covers etc.

Stuff I own does get ripped to the mobile/PDA and that get used in various situations, but almost never "on the move".

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 13:16:32 BDT
Tikka says:
Possibly dying a long, slow, lingering death. There's no doubt that the 'kids' download more than they buy as a hard copy. Looking at most towns (in the south) these days, the only 'music shops' left tend to be branches of HMV - and they're half given over to films/DVD/games.

The hardware to play music (apart from in MP3 form) is rapidly disappearing from the shelves of electrical goods retailers - and very few 'hi-fis' available on the High Street nowadays make provision for vinyl or cassettes.

BUT, the reality is there's a lot of old folks (like me) with large physical collections of music that they continue to add to and enjoy playing. Whilst we're still around the life of CDs/albums will be prolonged - but not forever....

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 13:40:13 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Like to have my music collection on display. A framed picture of an MP3 just wouldn't be the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 13:46:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 13:51:58 BDT
T. Franklin says:
I had a really disappointing experience end of last year. Bought an LP which was a limited (1,000 copies IIRC) pressing, only to find it was the worst pressing I've heard for a good long while. So I bought a CD copy from Amazon instead. The only upside was finding, on checking the receipt before taking it back (which involved a trip up to London) was that the store hadn't actually charged me for it. Saved the £20 travelling costs anyway.

I have found, much to my annoyance, that even some 180g pressings are not immune to being cr@p.

On the original question, I live in a rural area where for now at least I have to rely on a flakey mobile BB connection which more often than not is no faster (and frequently slower) than dial-up. A decent (FLAC) download needs a decent speed to get through quickly, and then you exceed the bandwidth allowance and are restricted for the remainder of the month (I did download a GD concert earlier this month when I had a few good speeds days). But, the idea of having only computer files for music is a monstrous one for me, so CD and vinyl are certainly alive hereabouts.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 13:59:02 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
unlikely that it will die with our generations( 30-50 yr olds),wether the modern attention deficit youth buy enough to make it commercially viable to keep producing cd's is another point altogether

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 18:41:32 BDT
I hate to think of the money I spent on albums in my youth. When I stopped my collection amounted to nearly 2000 not including boxes of singles. Now most of them - the ones I haven't sold - never see the light of day. Yes, sometimes the notes and artwork were interesting which added to the value. However, I also remember having to take albums back to the shop because of a pressing fault to to find that the whole batch that had been delivered was faulty. Lest we forget albums also contained 'filler' tracks. I think we romanticise how good they were.

When CDs came along the back catalogue copied straight to that format weren't worth the asking price. Sticking with a good quality vinyl version offered better sound quality. Some remastering wasn't sympathetically carried out, for example, John Lennon's albums, and it took bootleggers like Dr. Ebbetts to show how it should be done. The record companies also cynically added bonus tracks to remasters - most of which were best left as outtakes - to entice buyers to yet again replace their current collection. Worst of all they saw fit to alter the track listing from the original album. The newer digitally recorded stuff, to my ears anyway, does improve vastly over analogue recordings... perhaps because the equipment used to play it has also improved?

Now we have downloads which allow us to sift out the 'filler'. Thats fine but how many of us haven't liked tracks on a CD on first listen only to find they grow on us? Also, what makes a truely great album is not the number of tracks that were released as singles but the overall experience that leaves you wanting more. I wonder how "Let It Bleed" Rolling Stones or "Tusk" Fleetwood Mac or "Document" REM would have fared if purchasers could cherry pick the instantly likeable tracks? Musicians who require more than one listen could loose out.

What I prefer to do is download the whole album and if I like it then I buy the CD. Some people think I'm daft but I'm of a generation that likes something physical to look at and hold. I also wonder how I'd feel if my hard drive suddenly packed up or new players came out that weren't compatible with the current format. At least I could - hopefully - rip my CDs to the new format. Of course, they could always produce DVDs that contained super-audio, loads of background information about the artist, video clips and access the web-site...

Posted on 6 Apr 2010 23:27:39 BDT
D. Curtis says:
I'd say the majority of my purchases off of Amazon are of old singles from various bands. That's the great thing about CDs over downloads - the 'b-sides'. So much extra content that comes at a cheaper price per track than downloading. I do agree there is a lack of demand for them now, but I'm not complaining. £1.25 (inc. P+P) for 3-5 tracks is a damn fine deal!

Posted on 7 Apr 2010 09:51:16 BDT
Don't know why I haven't posted here before, anyway here goes.

I have hardly bought any vinyl since I invested in my first CD player in the 1980s. I agree with many of the comments already posted regarding CDs, however one trend I really like is the move towards cardboard packaging over those damn plastic boxes - the tactile experience of cardboard or paper over plastic cannot be compared unless it's just an old fogey (I'm beyond the 35-50 bracket), harking back to the days of LPs. But seriously, cardboard is environmentally friendly - there's far too much plastic packaging in the world already.

I, like many others like something tangible so downloads do not appeal. The only download I have is a box set obtained from Zon at the time for a ridiculous £7.99 whereas at the time the CD box was £65.99 - all 6 albums were burnt to CD.

As for the future, well who knows what that holds - I know that a lot people don't appear to bothering with real hi-hi anymore, opting for docking stations etc. When my oldest friend moved house, his Linn/Meridian system worth a few thousands has remained disconnected in a corner - he uses his PC, Ipod + docking station and a Bose surround system (for the TV really) for his music.

The digital age has enabled portability, as these days, you can take 1000s of albums around in your pocket if you want to and take your music collection to work, holiday or whatever. Perhaps in the end, all music will be stored on servers which everyone will be able to subscribe to enabling the complete works of mankind to be available for a modest sum, but there again ................................................

Posted on 7 Apr 2010 10:33:32 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I doubt you'll see HMV and other big chains selling CDs or DVDs in a few years time as it seems more profitable for them to give valuable floor space over to games, MP3 download stations and big ticket items. But CDs will live on in the online sales world - cheap to produce and cheap to store while the buyer pays for shipping. Looks like a good business model to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2010 12:54:27 BDT
Tell your Linn friend that I will give him £200 to take the system of his hands, Cornish.

Posted on 7 Apr 2010 14:42:15 BDT
no

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2010 15:58:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2010 15:59:42 BDT
I presume you mean the interconnects and speaker cable for £200 Smitty!

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 06:42:13 BDT
Tikka says:
There's another thread somewhere about the Floyd not wanting their tracks to be available individually as downloads. I thought it was just a follow on from their (and Zeppelin's) rather petulant 'we don't do singles' stance of the 70s. However, that was the era when the album really took over from the three minute single as the major force in popular music.

Looking through the 800+ CDs/LPs on my shelves, I was wondering how many of them get listened to all the way through nowadays (except in the car). Thinking back over the last week, only about a third of the CDs I've taken off the shelf were played right through - not played any LPs. Most of the time I'm flitting from one CD to another, playing a couple of tracks at most and moving on. Do others listen to music like this, and if so, perhaps the album will inevitably lose out to individual tracks?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 08:46:49 BDT
I think this discussion has been had before Tikka somewhere on the threads, but to answer your question - I am an album guy and always have been. It is rare for me to take off a CD once it is playing, but admit that I do not play multiple albums/box sets all the way through. However the exception proves the rule as they say and GD 3CD sets have been played start to end many times.

I guess I became a "play it through" person once I gave up one of those "pile 'em up" single spindles in the 60s and started getting reasonable hifi where care of the vinyl and stylus was so important

I have burnt a couple of dozen CDs (various artists and selections) which I play in the car, as strangely enough the car is not a place for "serious listening" for me, and I have a 30gig MP3 with a few hundred albums for music on the move, which I do play on random at times.

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 22:14:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2010 22:15:02 BDT
Well, this evening the cost of the Them Crooked Vultures cd is the same as the download here on Amazon, so there is no doubt which I would get if I did not already have it, the cd of course, which I would then rip at a higher quality than the download for the iPod, whilst reading the sleeve(anorak, I know).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  14 Nov 2008
Latest post:  13 Apr 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions