Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Attention RUSH fans! Favourite RUSH Album Please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 199 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:45:11 GMT
Earthshine says:
Has anyone mentioned the absolutely wonderful Snakes and Arrows? Tracks like Faithless, Far Cry and The Main Monkey Business are difficult to surpass. This band are getting better.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 00:17:02 GMT
I agree with the earlier comments that 1980-85 was the best period (including Power Windows), the best of all being Moving Pictures.

2112 is very funny, but it is not a great album. If you could combine the best of A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres you might have a winner...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 02:14:35 GMT
cygnusx1 says:
1. Hemispheres

2. Moving Pictures
3. Permanent Waves

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 14:32:15 GMT
After i posted last week i went back and revisited a few of the old CD's. Can't believe no one mentioned Fly by Night, early days i know and they were still working on their sound but this was probably the start of the great Rush era.

Fantastic stuff

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 15:01:43 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
WHO?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 15:28:07 GMT
S. Driscoll says:
Hemispheres for me is the one - but not for the "Side 2" tracks. The title track, spanning 18 minutes blew me away when I first heard it 20 years ago, and still gets me today.
After that, the sublime Natural Science (what a brilliant intro) means that Permanent Waves is up there.
And finally, as yet unmentioned (?), my all-time favourite Rush "standard length, mainstream" track, "Between the Wheels" should put Grace Under Pressure up there...(sharp intake of breath?!)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 15:54:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2008 16:12:20 GMT
I first saw Rush on the Signals tour, aged 14. It was Farewell to Kings that got me hooked, but my favourite albums are Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Not far behind are Moving Pictures and 2112, with Grace Under Pressure and Presto also in the mix. What a band! Still my favourite all these years later, despite my ever-widening tastes.
If side 1 of Permanent Waves and side 2 of Hemispheres was one album, it would not just be the best Rush album, but simply the best album ever.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 16:49:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2008 16:56:12 GMT
Metal Gaz says:
A Farewell To Kings was the first full RUSH album I listened to end to end (courtesy of M.T. Garrett also on this post) and it remained my favouriate for many years. The first I heard of RUSH though was 'The Trees' from the marvellous 1980 album: 'AXE ATTACK Vol.2' ...you gotta laugh sometimes! These days, if given a choice of only 'one' RUSH album to take with me to a desert island, it would have to be Moving Pictures.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 15:22:02 GMT
permanent waves was my first rush album bought and still to me remains their best....with moving pictures close behind.....still a massive rush fan...but generally after these 2 albums it was downhill........

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 19:35:51 GMT
Hemispheres is my favourite - though anything released from 2112 to Moving Pictures (inclusive) run the album a close second.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 21:15:01 GMT
R. Pievaitis says:
good question, i suppose my favourite has to be the first one i heard(as a young lad of 13) and then bought(via the shopowner) who i asked to play me a section.i had not heard any of their music before, when i came across this album in a small recordshop in bridlington circa 1975/6.
the track he put on for me to hear was bytor and the snowdog.the album ? yes you guessed right .... all the worlds a stage.
at this stage in my musical career,we were listening to current faves e.g. sabbath,led zep,floyd,oldfield,genesis,the usual suspects etc etc.
i was always looking out for new stuff,so in the store i saw 2 lp,s that caught my attention ;kiss alive and rush,
no guessing which one i bought after listening to both.kiss sounded so simple ,i could play that is what i thought when listening to cold gin.
i was right when i later joined a heavy rock band in 1979,it was easy to play!!!!!????
so my fave has to be all the worlds a stage,
but i do like signals and power windows
p.s. anyone for grace under pressure ?
i bought the remaster last year and on a good hi fi(£15,000+) it sounds absolutely great.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 21:15:13 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Nov 2008 21:17:04 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2008 18:14:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2008 18:15:16 GMT
Metal Gaz says:
Yes, Grace Under Pressure - one of their best 80s albums...Red Sector A still does it for me. Didn't Mr.Peart win a drumming award for that album?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 00:03:41 GMT
MajorTom says:
Exit Stage Left

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 17:50:32 GMT
G. McAdam says:
Not all that easy to narrow it down to one - 'Moving Pictures' and 'Permanent Waves' are the best of their "classic" period, whilst I'm also rather fond of 'Presto' and 'Snakes & Arrows'.

GM

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 19:03:59 GMT
Jon B says:
The only weak Rush album in my eyes is Vapor Trails. Everything else is sublime. Naming my favourite is a "sophie's choice".

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2009 11:41:20 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Have started to get the remastered back catalogue and these sound amazing on a decent stereo....definitely more modern.

Listening to 'Power Windows' and had forgotten how good it was.

Posted on 28 May 2009 12:34:11 BDT
D. Reynolds says:
A Farewell to Kings, although I'd argue that all of their classics up to Moving Pictures are well worth a whirl. Not so keen on the later 80s era (Hold Your Fire) and beyond but still an incredible live experience.
Although it's not my fave, I'll mention the excellent Caress of Steel as nobody has done yet....Bastille Day, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth; great stuff.

Posted on 28 May 2009 13:12:47 BDT
All albums from 2112 to Exit Stage Left. The stuff I heard from Signals onwards didn't do it for me - too many keyboards and the guitar lost its edge.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2009 17:05:19 BDT
Jellybean says:
Disagree. I think Test For Echo is one of their best, along with Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures (both perhaps predictably) and Snakes and Arrows

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2009 19:14:13 BDT
BOF © says:
Mad, I agree my favourite also - 2112.
Best bones.
B.O.F.

Posted on 28 Nov 2009 21:54:59 GMT
First album

Posted on 29 Nov 2009 18:11:43 GMT
Jon says:
Hold Your Fire.
When I first heard Lock and Key and Prime Mover on the early evening rock show on R1, I remember feeling the excitement.

Turned me from a fan top an obsessive. Still am.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2009 18:25:13 GMT
Chef Hat says:
Favorite: Permanent Waves

Least Favorite: Presto

..go figure.

Posted on 29 Nov 2009 18:58:38 GMT
Fave rush tracks at the moment are from Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings. almost sounds like a Rush tribute act in places.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  25 Oct 2008
Latest post:  18 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions