Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Helloween - what happened to them??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Posted on 19 Feb 2013 20:32:42 GMT
Puffany says:
I've dug up this old & short thread to say that the new Helloween album is a masterpiece. I don't get into all that much metal and have always thought that these guys were much more than just metal/power metal. Especially when Deris joined the band. Class act.

Posted on 22 Dec 2010 11:09:22 GMT
i remember a strange little album called " Pink Bubbles Go Ape "

Posted on 17 Nov 2010 20:22:31 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 15 Jul 2012 09:20:31 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2010 18:58:56 BDT
AJ says:
Forbidden's Twisted Into Form - what a masterpiece! There's one track on there called Spiral Depression and it's one of the moodiest pieces of acoustic playing I have heard.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2010 22:32:31 BDT
Quality ain't bad depends what turntable you get. Worth transferring cos you revist some odd gems
Don't mind odd bit of crackling either. Speaking of death angel just gonna convert their first 2 albums plus 2 Forbidden albums
Worth doing just to see if you still like then can if want buy on cd
Might even transfer all my Helloween too.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2010 00:53:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2010 00:55:25 BDT
Puffany says:
AJ - i'm a bit late replying but as far as mixed reviews is concerned, i've noticed many of the negative reviews for different 'Deris-Helloween' albums on sites like zon u.s.a. are from fans that are still upset that 'Kiske' isn't the vocalist anymore, and has nothing to do with the material at all. Personally, i wouldn't start with kotsk pt 3 if you want to try the Deris stuff, although i like it enough.
Thanx for the info on the later 'Kiske' post-Helloween albums - i've never heard any of them but will give one a try soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2010 13:08:58 BDT
AJ says:
I thought about this but how well does the sound come out??
I copied a lot of vhs to dvd but all that bloody grain!! Must be the same with vinyl and all the crackling etc?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2010 22:06:39 BDT
You wanna get a USB turntable so you can convert all your vinyl.
I'm in process of doing em got loads of 80's thrash (quite a bit of it well dodgy)
Might even transfer KOTSK 1

Posted on 6 Sep 2010 22:52:46 BDT
Michael kiske would have definitely got the maiden job if he hadn't turned his back on metal and spent a few years releasing rubbish pop music that no one listened to. The guys voice is amazing and he really would have been an inspired choice for maiden. I reckon the reunion with bruce would never have happened if kiske had joined them.

He seems to have found a love of hard rock melodic metal again these days and his last 2/3 albums (particularly the place vendome stuff) have been excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 18:39:37 BDT
AJ says:
Ha ha - abs not having you on - really had lost track of them!!
Listened to KOTSK part 2 last night. It's the only CD I have of theirs. I really enjoyed it.. I can see how much they have influenced the likes of Dragonforce & Therion etc.

Im seriously thinking of ordering KOTSK part 1 now. I still have it on vinyl but sadly no means of playing it ;-(
Part 3 seems to have mixed reviews on here. I nevere realised that Michael Kiske was a contender for Maiden back in the 90s.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 21:39:39 BDT
Sera69 says:
AJ, you surprise me. Usually so knowledgable and level headed!

Helloween are alive and well. Last album Gambling With the Devil is an absolute power metal classic. New one due soon. Though, knowing Helloween's track record, odds are on they'll shoot themselves in the foot again (see also Anthrax, Saxon et al.)

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 18:47:07 BDT
D. Reynolds says:
Being metal and German, they will always have a strong fanbase at home. The majority of the rest of the world seemed nonplussed by the mid 90s.
Personally I was well into Walls of Jericho in ye olde dayes but as they moved away from their thrashier roots I lost interest.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 12:11:48 BDT
Carradale says:
Phew! I thought they had turned into Byebyeween....

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 11:23:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 11:25:41 BDT
Puffany said it all really.

Helloween are still going strong and are still fairly popular. 2 commercial albums with Kiske, forced by the record label, ended in disaster and damaged their stock and fans abandoned them by the droves. In comes Andi Deris and return to the more traditional Helloween sound and they begin to claw back some respectability and some fans. I've enjoyed all the Andi deris albums and whilst his vocal range is no where near Kiske his voice is strong and the material they have put out since those weak albums post KOTSK 1 & 2 has been strong.

They have a new album out later this year (Oct I think) and are playing a date in the UK in Oct aswell.

I caught them live at the Koko club in Camden on the tour for their last album and also at Bloodstock a couple of yeas ago.

Helloween rock.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 11:10:31 BDT
Last seen with the Goblin Girl, if memory serves correctly.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 02:58:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 03:23:21 BDT
Puffany says:
AJ: Helloween are still going strong. I'm not sure whether you're being straight about this or having us on??
They had a bad period with the final 2 albums with Michael Kiske when he was the vocalist because they tried to go for a more commercial approach and failed miserably. There are a few songs from those albums that were okay but overall......nahhhhhhhhhhhh.
They replaced Kiske with Andi Deris and have had only one album (Rabbit Don't Come Easy) where you wouldn't say it was great. Many Helloween fans disagree with this and quite a few have jumped back on board once they realised alot of the Deris material was red-hot.
Deris is more of a 'rock' vocalist and Kiske is more of an 'Operetic' vocalist - both great in their own way.
Recommended albums with Deris, i'd go in this order: Better Than Raw; The Time Of The Oath; Gambling With The Devil; Master Of The Rings; The Dark Ride - all highly recommended. About two-thirds of 'Keeper of the 7 Keys - The Legacy' is awesome as well.
They are much more than just a power-metal band and some metal enthusiasts can't stomach that fact.
This is just my opinion.
Rock on and enjoy!

Initial post: 30 Aug 2010 01:08:06 BDT
AJ says:
I remember these well from the mid to late 80s - and all the hype around the admittedly excellent Keeper Of The Seven Keys album.

KOTSK part 2 was a decent enough follow up, but whatever happened to them??

In 1987, In Europe at least , they were as big or bigger than Metallica and even a challenge to Iron Maiden but from about 1990 they dropped out of sight??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (788 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  30 Aug 2010
Latest post:  19 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer