Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The reason I jump

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2013, 13:03:51 BST
DB says:
I know we aren't supposed to promote books on this site, but I recently ordered this book from amazon about autism.
It is written by a Japanese boy, and tells in his own words how it feels to be autistic.
I found this book inspiring in the bravery of this boy in his every day life.
It has helped me to understand my grandson, and in many ways to understand how we all take so much for granted.

One of the things he says is- 'True compassion is about not bruising the other person's self -respect. That's what I think anyway'

How perceptive of such a young autistic person to understand that.

We can learn so much in the most unexpected places, and from the most unexpected people.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 13:45:55 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Jul 2013, 10:10:49 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 13:46:23 BST
Norm Deplume says:
Diane,

You might consider reading Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. Read the description and see what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 13:55:24 BST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 14:26:28 BST
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 16:04:04 BST
DB says:
Norm

thanks. will do.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2013, 17:07:05 BST
J Doyle says:
> I know we aren't supposed to promote books on this site, but I recently ordered this
> book from amazon about autism.

No DB, you have the wrong end of the stick as usual. You are actually supposed to use these forums for exactly that purpose. That's what the 'Insert a product link' button is for. Amazon want their customers to be saying 'I bought this great book from Amazon and here's the link so you can buy it too'.

What Amazon do not want, is authors spamming the forums trying to sell their own books.

Posted on 26 Jul 2013, 08:29:56 BST
Heretic says:
It might help if we knew the title and author, maybe a link. Just a thought.

SWH

Posted on 26 Jul 2013, 08:32:19 BST
Heretic says:
Mr. J. P. Doyle says: "What Amazon do not want, is authors spamming the forums trying to sell their own books."

If their books were any good then they'd be writing a sequel.

SWH

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2013, 09:17:00 BST
AJ Murray says:
The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism

Posted on 26 Jul 2013, 23:43:14 BST
DB says:
'Composed by a writer still with one foot in childhood, and whose autism was at least as challenging and life-defining as our son's, THE REASON I JUMP was a revelatory godsend. Reading it felt as if, for the first time, our own son was talking to us about what was happening inside his head.'

Written by Naoki Higashida when he was only thirteen, this remarkable book explains the often baffling behaviour of autistic children and shows the way they think and feel - such as about the people around them, time and beauty, noise, and themselves. Naoki abundantly proves that autistic people do possess imagination, humour and empathy, but also makes clear, with great poignancy, how badly they need our compassion, patience and understanding.

David Mitchell and his wife have translated Naoki's book so that it might help others dealing with autism, and generally illuminate a little-understood condition. Like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, it gives us an exceptional chance to enter the mind of another and see the world from a strange and fascinating perspective.'

A moving, informative book for anyone who wants to understand the Autistic child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013, 05:40:28 BST
P Charles says:

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013, 08:20:48 BST
DB says:
P Charles

What is the relevance of your quote please?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013, 09:43:36 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Aug 2013, 12:06:36 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013, 10:48:47 BST
##### says:
I'm not sure why you'd want to highlight that level of illiteracy, but there you go.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2013, 22:33:44 BST
Spin says:
DB; Do you take pleasure in reading of others misfortune? In what way has reading that book enhanced both you and others around you?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 14:07:55 BST
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2013, 14:09:06 BST
##### says:
>>>One of the things he says is- 'True compassion is about not bruising the other person's self -respect. That's what I think anyway'

The problem here Diane, is we've read some of things theists have written about gay men and women, and seen you tentatively agree with those theists. It seems your compassion about "bruising the self respect of others, isn't universal, but as always is tempered by dogma. Personally I'd like to see all people treated as equals, and not discriminated against.

Posted on 31 Jul 2013, 15:21:52 BST
Henry James says:
OB: Personally I'd like to see all people treated as equals, and not discriminated against.
HJ: Though I can think of a few individual exceptions.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 16:28:08 BST
Stu says:
very true OB,joining this thread coincided with a visit from my friend tom who has a son of 35 years old with a mental age of 6-7yrs and has autism and epilepsy,his mood swings can be awful for tom to cope with at times but when he knows im going round to toms he will stand at the gate waiting for me then run up the street to hug me,hes very loving when he likes you,but he will soon let you know if he doesnt and im a fortunate one

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 16:49:37 BST
Heretic says:
I wonder what the reaction here will be to what the pope said in Brazil about homosexuality and homosexuals, I'm pretty sure I've heard a lot of anti-gay stuff from the christian lobby here from.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/who-am-i-to-judge-gay-people-pope-francis-marks-shift-in-catholic-attitude-to-homosexuality-on-brazil-trip-8736623.html

(if this has been covered elsewhere please post the link- I can't keep up with all the threads so I might of missed it. Thanks)

SWH
SWH

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 19:09:01 BST
Stu says:
there are just a few exceptions henry,not too many though

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 20:31:05 BST
##### says:
Bradders isn't going to like that, Tom M will have a fit.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 22:06:09 BST
Henry James says:
you are right stu.
if i get too good at making exceptions,
someone will make an exception out of me!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 22:12:04 BST
Stu says:
im sure they will both go beserk OB

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2013, 22:29:05 BST
Stu says:
I still cant understand in this day and age,why there is still so much homophobia around,when homosexuality has been so easily accepted by the majority of people for the last two decades?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
165 6 days ago
The Christian project has failed as Christians vote against everything Jesus stood for 209 1 minute ago
Gas Bag 694 1 day ago
So, What does Yahweh, God or Allah have to say about the recent Grenfell Tower horror? 16 2 days ago
Why do we select warrior gods who can only grow their religions by violence, --- instead of persuasion to a better way of life? 1 4 days ago
Are atheists completely anti God or just anti religion? 1107 6 days ago
Why is there only one begotten son of God? Is he you? 49 6 days ago
When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion? 6 6 days ago
The Power of Prayer. 5595 7 days ago
The Scottish Episcopal Church votes to allow same-sex marriages in church... 50 7 days ago
Why did Jesus feed the multitude with Fish, not meat? 83 8 days ago
Is Islamic Jihadism testing people's tolerance of ALL religious Faiths? 80 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  19 Jul 2013
Latest post:  3 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer