Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Is it easy to denounce religion when one has "a life"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Mar 2013, 18:24:05 GMT
And is insulting religious people secretly really just a way of confirming to oneself that one has "a life" (all "scientific" contentions aside)? Over and over? Is it just empty pretense stating any other reason?

Is one insecure in one's notion that one has "a life", thus needing to re-affirm it constantly, namely by way of attacking those perceived to have no "life" (i.e., the religious)? By this, somehow placing oneself into the "winners" category, by insulting and mocking the alleged "lifeless"?

and what is "a life"? Is this thing subjective and relative? and if so what worth is there really in insulting something which only has a passing validity as "the opposite of a life"? In other words, if "a life" is something ephemeral, then how can religion concretely represent "no life"? Won't there be phases in which it cannot be said to do so? Transitions?

And what do these people "with a life" really gain from insulting those they perceive as lifeless (i'm guessing as relative to worldly "riches" such as drinking partners, friends with common music taste, etc)? Is all that they gain a sense of superiority? A kind of mental release via scapegoating "no-life" outcasts?

what is "a life"? (and does it differ from locality to locality). can someone define it please thanks bye

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 18:26:58 GMT
and what if the person finds themselves with "no life". will they have to eat their words

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 18:43:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013, 18:53:43 GMT
"Is it just empty pretense stating any other reason?"

Zionist.

:)

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 18:46:57 GMT
is mocking religious people a form of self-praise?
self-affirmation that one indeed has a life?

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:07:09 GMT
is it like a kind of extended victory lap? (and where does it end?).
and how much does a life cost? And can I buy one from the local education institution?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:09:47 GMT
gtL,

Life is what you make it.
Atheists don't tell you how to live your life. They find it somewhat strange that someone would devote their life to an unevidenced supernatural being. The main problem is that when they question the religious about their beliefs, the religious cannot answer because there is no coherent view of what they believe in and no evidence to back it up. So as a last resort they claim that to ask questions is insulting in an attempt to ringfence religion as an untouchable personal truth rather than a delusion.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:10:38 GMT
Bellatori says:
Seeing how you seem to have made most of the posts talking to yourself GtL I think I would have to say - Get a Life!?

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:14:44 GMT
how do I get "a life"? help me dudes, don't mock me. come on

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:16:27 GMT
is this going to be another thread where people pile on and the religious are mocked for not having a life? Like every single other thread on here? having a life sounds like fun!

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:17:12 GMT
"a life", sorry. I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:20:35 GMT
how kind of you! How sweet

thanks for that

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:22:24 GMT
I'll never get tired of the victory lap. It's just outstanding. A righteous parade of people who have lives.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:26:08 GMT
I'm waiting for the ringleaders to stick an oar in. To really twist the knife. It shall be a positive merriment.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:26:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013, 19:29:25 GMT
Bellatori says:
OK, I'll take you at your word.

Reverend A Theist says: "Life is what you make it."

to this I would add "Experience the now... live life in the now (very Epicurean which should surprise nobody)"

You only pass this way once. What you miss is gone for ever. The arrow of time only moves in one direction. Your choice is how you live life in the now. You can do so selfishly or (again from Epicurus) with friends.

"It is not so much our friends' help that helps us, as the confidence of their help."

and don't get hung up on what God(s) want because...
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo"

[EDIT] Carpe diem...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:29:35 GMT
so the amount of friends determines if one has a life or not? hmm. intriguing. celebrities must have the best of lives then. They have so many friends they have to positively turn the surplus ones down!

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:31:23 GMT
that must mean children automatically have more life than adults. I going to make up a statistic now, that adults have 40% less friends than schoolchildren.

so school-life determines the amount of "life" one has? Tell me more.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:31:55 GMT
Bellatori says:
Where does it say that? Do you substitute quantity for quality?

I had thought to take you seriously but that reply suggests to me that rather than real comment you just want a rough and tumble abuse session... please yourself... shame

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:33:01 GMT
you only talked about friends when I asked what "a life" is. Suit yourself, dude!

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:33:55 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:36:10 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:37:50 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:38:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013, 19:39:57 GMT
Bellatori says:
I take from that that you do not know what a friend is... well no surprise there then. Three fatuous and somewhat childish replies when someone makes an honest attempt to respond to you seriously would certainly explain that fact.

"Suit yourself, dude" suggests that mentally you have yet to reach your teens.

[EDIT] Anyone else want to bother with this juvenile as I am putting him on ignore

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013, 19:41:36 GMT

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:42:36 GMT
look how many down votes I get, man. It's a red-flag. Don't want to be seen to associate with me anyway!

Posted on 18 Mar 2013, 19:51:45 GMT
My own original post doesnt even add to my own original post. Some might say it's a tragedy. Will you to get the violins out for me? (I assume that's what you deem appropriate?).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
170 3 days ago
Atheists 178 1 hour ago
Religion and Science 371 1 hour ago
Can you accept that Man is greater than God? 206 2 hours ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 1452 9 hours ago
Discover Magazine article ("Earth's Water Is Older Than The Sun') matches the Bible book of Genesis 417 10 hours ago
Gas Bag 865 20 hours ago
Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s? 113 20 hours ago
If you have ever had negative thoughts about Yahweh, you are close to a Gnostic Christian. 26 1 day ago
Worldwide troll association official post forum. 128 1 day ago
"Transgender" folk accepted into the Anglican Church... 207 7 days ago
A question to atheists who care enough about organised religion to have a strong opinion of the existance of god/gods 684 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  18 Mar 2013
Latest post:  4 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer