Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Why does Christianity, Judaism and Islam discriminate against women?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 953 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 10:47:05 BDT
Having grown up - my early years anyway - on farms, the various smells don't bother me.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 10:38:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 10:39:04 BDT
H W says:
Yes absolutely agree here, birth control can only benefit the women in the 3rd world.

There are a lot of people doing brilliant work out there at the moment, in educating the women about equality, and control over their bodies etc.

And yes, there is a sheep farm down the road from me (what else, in Wales?) and the smell in the summer can put one off breakfast.

I think I might try vegetarianism again this year, I'm using Hugh FW as a source of inspiration. Have you got his veg book?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 09:35:20 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Harry, all animals produce methane, try standing with some sheep for a while! Both ends often and loud!

I actually disagree with the U.N., the most important way to limit climate damage is not to have children- unfortunately this is still seen as an unnacceptable truth.

The most important thing about condom use in the third world is it gives the women a less animal lifestyle and control of their bodies. The befits are obvious to anyone who thinks about it. Fewer children means less starvation and the huge demands on the food chain. Better healthcare to keep the children that are born well and a decent life. Limit aids and Hiv transmission is a no brainer for all the obvious reasons. Better education to move people away from the belief that big families are necessary to provide for old age, get away from superstitions and myths, and learn what the rest of us know about the old belief systems- they are false.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 09:19:47 BDT
H W says:
[1; being veggie/vegan acording to the un commision on climate chage is the most effective thing you can do to limit climate change.]-Clive

I heard this, in relation to cows as they produce many many tons of methane a year through their bowl habits.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 09:13:34 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Shakepen- a few points,

1; being veggie/vegan acording to the un commision on climate chage is the most effective thing you can do to limit climate change.

2;How do you decide wwe are above other animals?

3; the animals involved in medical research have not given their lives, they have lived their lives in fear and excruciating pain, most for no good reason at all. Read "Slaughter of the innocents " by Hans Reusch.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 07:37:25 BDT
"lower animals"? How are you ranking animals?

"chimpanzees, who sacrificed their lives" - No, they didn't. Their lives were sacrificed by others. Whether that was necessary or not is another matter.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 00:58:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 03:56:53 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: There is a Steven Seagal movie where the villain says, "Assumptions are the mother of all f..kups!" I do not belong to any animal welfare groups. My vegan stance is predicated on its health benefits for me...and this stance also helps the health of the animals, an unintended consequence for them! :)

Regarding animals in medicine, I do have mixed feelings. It is unfortunate, that many of our medical breakthroughs have been at the expense of the suffering of animals. When I was an undergraduate, my roomie was a biochemistry student. He worked part-time for a researcher who was trying to develop an artificial heart. Every time he went to work, a dog died. He would come home and complain that some of the dogs were beautiful. He hated to see them die, but it was necessary that these acute experiments took place. However, thanks to these lower animals, a great deal of information was learned. Artificial hearts have more or less been abandoned in favor of artificial pumps that help failing hearts. The American ex-Vice-President, Chaney, had an artificial pump before he got a heart transplant. We also owe a great debt of gratitude to the chimpanzees, who sacrificed their lives to perfect heart transplants.

Posted on 3 May 2012 21:05:37 BDT
Spin says:
I have to laugh when western populations dictate the morality of food and survival. You have no idea as to what nourishment is, except according to your own mental and physical pleasure.I sincerely you and your family never experience true penury and starvation. If you do, Lets see your opinion then...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:56:29 BDT
I haven't been taking your explanations as approval. It was because of your stance as a vegan that I was interested to know whether you extended it to such things as medicine. Do you apply your animal welfare stance to what medical treatments you'll accept?

Posted on 3 May 2012 20:45:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 20:47:05 BDT
Spin says:
starve. Then dictate about food. You have the luxury of deciding which food to consume, a luury you consider to be valid universally. Not so. The starving person does have the luxury of wandering Tescos and choosing food. How dare you...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:33:49 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: do not take my explanations of modern farming and ranching as approval. I'm a vegan. I don't even eat butter, drink milk, or eat eggs. I'd be just as happy if every slaughterhouse in the world closed.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:32:27 BDT
I'll have a look.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:32:00 BDT
"Of course, and do."

I just want to be clear... Are you saying that you would accept a vaccine even if animals involved in the production of that vaccine were poorly kept?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:31:53 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: Check Medicine.net. You'll find that the virus is cultured in eggs.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:26:52 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: Of course, and do. The composition of the egg isn't changed. I can understand your disgust with modern farming. It is done from one standpoint: profit. Treatment of the animals isn't a consideration, but feeding the masses means that one must be as efficient as possible. Cattle, for example, raised on the range would be better for people because the animals would not as much fat in the muscle fibers (less cholesterol), but that is not efficient, and so we have feed lots where the meat can become marbled. It is not in the interest of the rancher to have cattle wandering over wide areas as was done in the 19th century.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:20:45 BDT
No, you're shifting the subject. You wrote: "some vaccines are cultured in eggs, for example, flu vaccines". I haven't looked up to see whether this is true, but, accepting for the time being that it is, would you accept a flu vaccination that used battery-farmed eggs in its production?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:10:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 20:11:04 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: as I said in a previous post, vaccinations are a must for farm animals. They are kept in such crowded conditions that any disease will wipe out flock. In the 1970s Newcastles' disease swept through the poultry population of California. Fairs, poultry competions, and poultry movement were prohibited. Many farmers slaughtered their flocks and buried the carcasses. Several million chickens died. Now, if you go into a poultry farm, you wear sanitized booties and over clothes. Poultry transport trucks are not allowed in the grounds for fear of contamination.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:09:17 BDT
But that doesn't answer my question. If the animals that produced the eggs for vaccine production were kept in poor conditions (such as you described), would you refuse to use those vaccines?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 20:05:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 20:10:28 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: Actdually, some years ago, I attend Cal Poy San Luis Obispo. They have a large agricultural department. I visited the poultry barn where enterprising young, would-be farmers were learning how to keep chickens. The chickens were kept three to a cage. The cages were so small that the chickens could hardly turn around. They had to be debeaked so they wouldn't kill each other out of boredom. Everything was set up so that the chickens could be serviced by a man on a small motor. At that time, several decades ago, the smallest poultry operation that could make a profit in the U.S. was 1 million chickens.

Given the world's appetite for animal protein, it is only in operations like this that people can be fed. People think they need animal protein: they don't. Some bodybuilders, for example, will eat up to 18 eggs a day! They are amazed when they meet bodybuilders from Asia who eat very little protein but still have muscles.

Posted on 3 May 2012 19:45:54 BDT
Spin says:
Isn't it amazing what some see as "perfection"?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 19:42:03 BDT
Free range?

Are they kept in conditions that you would consider humane? Would the conditions prevent you from using the vaccines?

Posted on 3 May 2012 18:56:03 BDT
"I'll skip the mechanics between the rooster and hen: the hen, though, eventually lays an egg."

Reminds me of a little song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zLHGCOm-0&feature=relmfu

Skip to 0.50.

Posted on 3 May 2012 18:48:55 BDT
Spin says:
Science, the art of producing perfection, has learned to promise profit....It is no longer objectionable to demand physical and mental perfection...now it is economically profitable...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 18:46:48 BDT
Spin says:
humanity has discvovered "artificial DNA". Your cells, youe hair, your egg, and your sperm are no longer needed to create life. (Did we not fight a war against this determination of life?)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 18:27:03 BDT
Shakepen says:
Sam: Er, not virginal!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  953
Initial post:  21 Apr 2012
Latest post:  7 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions