Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The vast difference between theorising and experiencing...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 460 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 15:01:06 BST
Spin says:
DB: So Christianity, above all other religions and beliefs, is superior? Christians, like Jews, are "chosen" by God? How could God "choose" two religions? Is Christ Jewish or Christian? Are the Judaic Ten commandments to be adhered or the two of Jesus?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 15:04:13 BST
Spin says:
DB: I never claim to be an "expert", all I do is question. It is you who take offence at questions you cannot answer. (Unlike your Mesiah, Buddha stressed the need for questioning and demanded that even his words be questioned. I suggest you read up a bit more on Buddhism before letting your conditioned mentality lead you to error).

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 17:40:49 BST
K. Hoyles says:
Any reply to my post DB? You could at least have the common courtesy to give an opinion. After all, I replied to yours.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 22:06:41 BST
DB says:
Spin
I didn't say Christianity is a superior religion. Don't make up what you wish I had said.

The ten commandments, and the 'two of Jesus' are exactly the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 22:10:14 BST
DB says:
Spin
I love how you stir things for all other religions, but really can't take any 'questioning' of your own buddhist religion.
How much exactly did the Dalai Llama make from his recent tour and lectures in Britain?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 22:16:19 BST
DB says:
Sorry K Hoyles
I find it hard to keep up with all the posts during the day.
Please repeat your question and i will answer it.

BTW you didn't answer my question fully.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 22:27:11 BST
Jim Page says:
Parasite secretes toxin.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 22:28:44 BST
Jim Page says:
It's always hard for the malicious to disguise themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 05:27:36 BST
K. Hoyles says:
Don't bother, the moment has passed.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 09:04:20 BST
Jim Page says:
There has never been a moment to ask explanation of the Bible from a Catholic. On moral grounds alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 11:59:42 BST
Spin says:
DB: I question budhism just as much as I question other religions. But Buddhism and Hinduism are rarely, if ever, discussed on these threads. So you cannot claim I am predujice against abrahamic monotheism. I question and criticise any argument before accepting it as truth or falsity. So if a buddhist or Hindu joins in this forum and argues a point which raises more questions than it answers, I will be just as analytic and demanding with him/her as I am with Theists and Atheists. But unlike abrahamic monotheism, buddhism is structured in a manner as to encourage questioning; that is, the foundation of monotheism is the unquestioning belief and trust in ones religion, whereas the foundation of Buddhism is the suspension of belief and trust in any unverified mental constructs, even Buddhism itself (Buddhism asks only that one tries it out. If one finds it disagreeable, so be it. But, as Buddha ponted out, once one tries it, it is hard to deny its claim to be representative of truth...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 13:37:52 BST
DB says:
Spin
do you believe that Buddhism is a better way to follow, than that of any other religion? Yes or no?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 13:51:16 BST
Spin says:
DB: nO. It is not a "better" religion. Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy. I would argue that since Buddhism is compatible with all religions, and does not condemn religious belief but only the falsities propogated by organised religion, it is a better ethical, political, psychological and social philosophy than those currently doing the rounds...Buddhism accepts that religious bliefs are a matter of personal preference and have no effect on the individual or the world as long as they do not cause pain or suffering. Unfortunately, unlike buddhism, abrahamic monotheism has caused suffering and still does. If one wants to know what is "better", as you put it, one must try different lifestyles and ideologies until one finds one that is coherent and relevent to ones personal and social intentions and aspirations. Ones philosophy on life dictates ones religion or lack thereof. Ones philosophy underlies all ones beliefs, be they political, religious or empirical. Choose your philosophy carefully, for that determines your being in this universe. And remember, one can only adopt a philosophy by questioning them all...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 15:06:08 BST
K. Hoyles says:
I didn't realise DB is a catholic. I lost my belief in god at a catholic school at the tender age of seven. The nuns made a little girl in our class clear up someone else's vomit, because they thought it would be 'good for her soul'. I didn't know what a soul was, just that it made the girl cry. I'm sure there are good nun's, but whenever I see one I'm reminded of that moment. And the food was awful...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 15:13:49 BST
DB says:
Spin
The Buddhist Society sees itself as a religion -" Buddhism is also a very practical religion and aims at helping people to live their lives"
Do you follow budhisms set doctrines ? I.e, the teachings of Buddha.
Do you believe you will have many lives and be reincarnated many times?

you say - I would argue that since Buddhism is compatible with all religions, and does not condemn religious belief but only the falsities propogated by organised religion, it is a better ethical, political, psychological and social philosophy than those currently doing the rounds.

Sounds very much like a condemnation of allreligion, but your own religion/philosophy to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 15:22:04 BST
Jim Page says:
It's a familiar story.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 15:42:14 BST
Spin says:
DB; "The Buddhist Society"? Buddhism has no "society". It is open to all by choice not membership. Just because you think your sect represents christianity, do not assume other beliefs follow.. The Buddhist society is not a religion, it is a propoganda outfit; its purpose is to spread the message of buddhism and answer any questions one may have. It is not a "religion" nor does it claim to represent budhism. Lastly, yes, I believe the atoms of my corpse will contribute to further the being of this planet. A common misunderstanding is that "reincarnation" is instant, One dies and one is reincarnated. Not so. Buddhism holds that one may never be reincarnated. And if one is, it may take aeons...Just because you believe Jesus was instantly reicarnated does not mean we all are. In your will, demand that apple seeds are planted with you. Your next life, the atoms of your decomposing body, will be constituted as an apple tree..Unless Jesus raises you from the grave in all your physical and mental glory...Christianity offers a "quick-fix" does it not?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 16:23:54 BST
But Abrahamic monotheism does have a basis in what we are used to. So the basic Mosaic laws against murder, theft, adultery etc. apply to our society. But in Buddhist society then, these things aren't necessarily wrong?

Posted on 20 Jul 2012, 16:32:07 BST
Jim Page says:
Talking to dung beetles.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012, 16:45:35 BST
Spin says:
CE: That which is right does not need justifuication. If one has to debate about what is right and wrong, one does not know right from wrong. Buddhism does not condemn an act simply because one is told to condemn it; the right or wrong of an action involves much more that a prescribed set of rules. One must take into consideration a vast array of circumstances, causes, and expectations. Only by genuine consideration of all the facts can one arrive at the right or wrong of an action. Kiling, for instance, is frowned upon by meat eating christians. Jews and Muslims attempt to justify thier prohibition against killing by introducing the concept of Kosher and Hallal food. Buddhism does not attempt to con people in such a manner. It does not demand vegetarianism, but nor does it attempt to delude followers by introducing caveats to its morality. It is up to you to uphold a moral law. Or not. Buddhism requires personal consideration of facts and logic, not blind following of conditioned dictates.

Posted on 20 Jul 2012, 19:03:32 BST
Faith schools are wrong, divisive, and serve only to foster bigotry and injustice.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012, 11:39:20 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2012, 11:39:45 BST
DB says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012, 11:40:58 BST
Jim Page says:
The new Catholicism.

:-D

Posted on 21 Jul 2012, 11:42:47 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2012, 11:43:14 BST
Jim Page says:
Vhere the Fuhrer failed, vhere the poops failed, Grayling vill rule. He plans to annexe the Sudetenland next Tuesday, if it's not raining. Hail Victory.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012, 11:44:24 BST
Drew Jones says:
What are atheist courses? Courses set up by atheists or coures that don't mention your god or any other?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
163 29 Nov 2016
Why did Jesus feed the multitude with Fish, not meat? 54 52 minutes ago
Are atheists completely anti God or just anti religion? 1064 8 hours ago
An unusual and tragic way to die... 72 8 hours ago
god and humans 56 9 hours ago
Atheists 70 10 hours ago
Glass recycling 11 14 hours ago
Gas Bag 636 14 hours ago
I Love This Pope 3 22 hours ago
Death. The final frontier 92 1 day ago
The Power of Prayer. 5567 1 day ago
Is Dr. Who atheist? 4 2 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  460
Initial post:  22 Apr 2012
Latest post:  30 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer