Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Business rates up...more struggle for the small shops!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Feb 2013, 11:41:06 GMT
£100 per year increase...

Posted on 28 Feb 2013, 11:50:39 GMT
it's just evolution.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 13:20:18 GMT
Ian says:
What's that as a %age?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 13:22:34 GMT
3%

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 13:27:12 GMT
Ian says:
So a marginal above-inflation increase then?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 13:28:00 GMT
Ian says:
As in... you're expecting the less fit businesses to face extinction and the better adapted ones to expand and fill the newly unoccupied niches?

Posted on 28 Feb 2013, 13:32:00 GMT
For some time now in some areas, independent retailers have been allowed preferential business rates. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it encourages smaller, locally-owned businesses to continue against the large chains.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 13:45:09 GMT
Try archery.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013, 16:37:08 GMT
yes. within the domain that they are competing for, at least, it holds true that the bigger is the better adapted. in that context, it would hold true.

for instance if there's three athletes running on a track; in that context, the one which wins the race is the best one - or the best adapted. Relatively to the other runners. No doubt about it.

Posted on 28 Feb 2013, 16:53:04 GMT
Or the lab rat which gets the cheese set out for it after navigating the lab maze. That rat could legitimately be labeled the most best adapted. To use another illustration.

If the rats were in a natural habitat, then the conditions for best and worst would change. Because there's not many man-made lab rat mazes out in the natural world.

So we can see that "best adapted" can be something that is relative to any given context. For instance my flares, gold chain, hairy chest, platform shoes and afro could make me the best human - in the context of a catwalk in 1969. But those same attributes would not do much for me on a desert island, where only sheer nature was dictating the conditions.

Same again outside of the context of a catwalk, and in the context of a blue-collar job, laboring in a factory in an industrial sector somewhere. The parameters of what constitutes best adapted could again change, and my platform shoes become useless.

And what if I became best adapted - employee of the month - and then the factory burned down? Or what about if I was the owner of the biggest and best adapted company, and some young buck came and muscled me out of the market with his entrepreneurial skills and I was made redundant and bankrupt? Or if I toiled my whole life for a university place, and then was phased out at the last minute by an unforeseen rise in fees? Well then, my darwinist vision would mean that I would just have to swallow my pride, and perish contented, knowing that I was never meant to be the best in that particular domain. ....That nature herself dictated that it was not supposed to be (allegedly).

Posted on 1 Mar 2013, 16:31:27 GMT
Spin says:
With multi-nationals eliminating free enterprise, the private businesses are now experiencing the slavery they once imposed on their workers

Posted on 1 Mar 2013, 17:33:16 GMT
Spin says:
Let the banks and international competition dictate your business. Why not? The employee and customer are only valuable as a source of income, eh? When it comes to worshipping profit nothing can express ones slavery but giving up.

Posted on 1 Mar 2013, 18:00:11 GMT
Spin says:
Not one "small business" stood up and protested at the Banks theft of taxpayers money. Why? Because the banks own the small businesses.

Posted on 1 Mar 2013, 18:06:16 GMT
Spin says:
Truth hurts, eh?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2013, 18:13:44 GMT
Not everyone who runs a small business has had to take on a loan from a bank. Some people might have inherited a small amount, or used their savings. With shops you pay an amount for the rental, probably a few months in advance, you need to pay for stock or you buy as a going concern with the stock and goodwill.

That's the whole point, a small business should not need millions to float it in the first instance. People like Anita Roddick started from nothing, and she explained that the plain style of packaging they are known for at the Body Shop arose because they couldn't afford bottles and had to reuse some they had. They traded on their own style of business ethics.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2013, 18:16:23 GMT
Spin says:
CE; I very much doubt a "private" business can avoid any interaction with the banks. That interaction is precisely why we are in the trouble we are in.

Posted on 1 Mar 2013, 19:10:18 GMT
Spin says:
Your houses, your cars and your private investments are owned by the banks. Grow up and get real.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Why do we need firmly bosomed girls standing behind boxers...smiling...? 35 32 minutes ago
JC's Labour to win the next GE 40 1 hour ago
Will the North Korean people be able to deal with Trump banning them from his wonderful country? 12 2 hours ago
Come over... 11 4 hours ago
Is Sport News? 5085 4 hours ago
I am nuke proof. I hope yar 2. 25 7 hours ago
The Church of England needs to get back into the mainstream of society--Bible is largely scientifically accurate (water is older than the Sun like Genesis said) 224 14 hours ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests proving homosexuality is from parental neglect 333 18 hours ago
Book (Tortured for Christ) show how horrible and murderous the communist government of North Korea was to Christians 251 18 hours ago
Remember the Labour Party well and good--- Tony Blair did disarm Gadhafi of much WMD by invading Iraq in 2003 625 18 hours ago
American (USA) stupidity.. 6 19 hours ago
The Brexit deal 9 20 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  28 Feb 2013
Latest post:  1 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.