Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Slavery...on the South Coast!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 159 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 May 2012 22:45:38 BDT
Charlieost says:
I think we have gone way off track in this discussion Spin. I have seen horses madly and happily running around fields with joy. The objection is of them being forced over obstacles whilst at the same time being whipped by dwarfs and screamed at by red faced punters and then killed if they are injured. No problems with pony trecking or horse riding on well cared for and properly fed animals.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 02:12:13 BDT
I think bookies ought to be outlawed. Come to think of it, I've not seen many recently anyway. A day at the races is OK if you've got the money, though the donkey derby is more my level. Jockey's do have to be of slight build, but I've heard some nowadays go on drugs to keep the weight off. It's very silly if things get to that sort of pressure. I saw a hunter go down at a race meeting where I was doing the first aid. They drew screens around it so things didn't look good.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 18:55:43 BDT
Spin says:
Charlieost: Do you think Falconry and pigeon=racing are cruel? Are you to advocate the banning of such sports which, like horse-racing, stem from civilisations reliance on these magnificent animals?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 19:28:43 BDT
Falconry and pigeon racing are examples of humans using cruel they are I would need to research.

Posted on 29 May 2012 19:40:59 BDT
Spin says:
Is not destroying the forests of the world and over-fishing "cruelty"? How does one measure that characteristic of "Cruelty"? And by what standard is it measured? I recall the sad case of a mother of a disabled child killing herself and her child because she could not put up with the taunts her neighbours inflicted on her and her child every day as the police ignored her calls for help. THAT is cruelty. not horse-racing...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 21:10:09 BDT
Spin.....cruelty cannot be defined by the verb to does not have a measurable seem to be stuck in your ability to think. You use words poorly and therefore think poorly.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 22:22:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 22:27:07 BDT
TomC says:

All of these examples are examples of "whataboutery": ie never mind X, what about Y. You are in essence implying that two wrongs make a right, or at least that one wrong is made irrelevant and not worth discussing due to the existence of another which you believe is more grievous.

Try, if you can, to stick to the question being discussed.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 22:44:31 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 29 May 2012 22:52:30 BDT
Spin: Perhaps perceptions of what is cruel - which is a different thing from cruelty.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:03:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 23:06:18 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Spin. If that is the limit that your case extends to then by all means rest it. Going by the increasing desparation of your more recent comments I would say that the case needs a damn good rest. I do have some sympathy for your case. It has recieved a fair old battering not least of by Molly Malone who detailed the jumps and the dangers to the horses at the Grand National plus the numbers which had been killed because they broke limbs at these jumps.

If you can read her account and still think that such events are not cruel and stressful to the horses then I suggest that you call a neighbour round, arrange some obstacles in your garden and then he can climb on your back and you can jump over them. A few deep pits and a couple of childrens paddling pools should make it even more interesting.

Until you do this I believe that you should continue to rest this case of yours. Or perhaps fill a rucksack with bricks and leap over the case several times with the rucksack strapped to your back. Maybe get a friend or relative (you would know who to ask) to thrash you on the backside with a branch while you are doing it.

Get someone to video it and post the result on youtube and then send us all the link. And of course let us all know afterwards how much you enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:16:55 BDT
Spin says:
DPR: Perceptions of what is cruel are of more importance to people than what is actually cruel. A nation demanding the banning of fox-hunting while sending its yourh to certain death in a foreign land only because of a treaty, not a morality and killing its fish-stocks and bees, while proclaiming a morality on "ethics" Please. The Pc you use to communicate with us is the result of child-labour in Chinese-operated African mines containing the elements required to make a PC operate. Hypocrites.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:24:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 23:26:18 BDT
TomC says:
And here we go again. Anything other than address the issue.

"Whaddabout this ... Whaddabout that .... oh, and whaddabout the other ...."

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:33:15 BDT
Spin says:
Tom: not every discussion revolves around what you have to say. Some of us have the audacity to ignore you and reply to other posters. Sorry but that is the nature of conversation and free speech.(complain to Amazon, God or your government, for not responding to you).

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:35:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 23:36:33 BDT
TomC says:
The discussion revolves around what the discussion is about, not around the constant repetition of your chosen obsessions. I realize that ranting about them keeps you in your comfort zone, but do try, if you can, to consider others once in a while.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 23:39:59 BDT
Spin says:
Tom: I see. So your vrants are laid and acceptable but any "rant" you fail to understand is nonsense. I see..Obsessions are valid only as long as they support your fantasies...Hmmmm...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 04:45:53 BDT
Molly Brown says:
"Cruel ways of inflicting suffering may involve violence, but affirmative violence is not necessary for an act to be cruel. For example, if a person is drowning and begging for help, and another person is able to help, but merely watches with disinterest or perhaps mischievous amusement, that person is being cruel - rather than violent."

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 04:54:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2012 05:03:13 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Hi Charlie, it's Molly Brown now! I actually looked the Grand National up for my own information, as I think it is extremely cruel and totally unacceptable. Note in my C & P post, the "broken down" and "destroyed" description of one of the horses put down in this year's "race". What exactly does this mean in equine terms? In human terms, it would mean a nervous breakdown, which probably sums up the stress and fear these horses are forced to endure, on having to perform for the satisfaction of the racing set. The audience for this event reaches out to a much wider audience than the usual horsey types. By the above definition, to merely watch this race with indifference to the obvious suffering involved is cruel in itself. As it is all part of the "season" in Britain, perhaps when one of our players has to pull out of Wimbledon, or the Boat Race, due to injury, they should also be put out of their misery too?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 04:57:12 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Is there anything that you actually agree with Spin, self appointed "devil's advocate", or is your sole purpose in life to always argue "black", when the subject is clearly "white".

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 13:29:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2012 13:29:43 BDT
Spin says:
Molly: What is the point of discussion if one does not analyse and question propositions, including ones own? How can learn of error if one simply accepts all one reads and hears? One cannot acertain the truth of ones own beliefs, and those of others, if one simply agrees with everything that is said? To paraprase Buddha, question everything, even oneself. Indeed, it is only by questioning, an ability unique to human consciousness, that we are what we are.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 22:18:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2012 22:19:42 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Molly. Agree with you there. Though if the rules that apply to horses that can no longer earn their owners money had applied to footballers we wouldn't have had to watch or avoid watching George Best bore the world to death with three (yes three, or was it seven?) autobiographies, beat his wife and appear on various chat shows and say nothing of interest for thirty (or was it forty) years. And we could have been spared the Charltons. Bliss.

Hi Spin. For someone who several posts back claimed to rest his case you are having an awfully hard job letting go of it. So here's how it goes. Unclench fingers, walk away from case, keep walking, mind that large speeding lorry, to late. Alas poor Spin, we knew him not at all. What only a broken ankle? But he will never be able to work again. Easy decision Spin. Going by your voiced opinions it's BANG BANG time.

The ultimate put down. Bye.

Posted on 31 May 2012 22:21:21 BDT
Spin says:
I find it amusing that those with no knowledge or experience of a subject consider themselves so righteous in condemning unfamiliar cultures, beliefs and customs. Democracy at its most naked..

Posted on 31 May 2012 22:43:56 BDT
life-impact says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 22:52:19 BDT
Spin says:
Life: I suggest you research your market before advertising on it...You are doing yourself no favours..

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 10:03:03 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Did you not like Georgie then Charlie?

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 10:53:55 BDT
easytiger says:
I had a cat called Georgie. She never rode horses but killed alot of mice for fun. Where does that place me on judgement day?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
This land is our land..... 1 5 minutes ago
Why a NEW REICH will rise out of Europes current destruction. 2 6 minutes ago
Age checks... 74 10 minutes ago
Why waste time sending in the French Police to clean up the camp, little liberal press reporters hanging on every move. Send in the ARMY. Preferably the German army from 1939. 9 12 minutes ago
Out again at 8.00am... 53 18 minutes ago
Is Sport News? 2940 1 hour ago
Garry Lineker, who left one set of wife and kids, wants to save Calias refugee kids, a guilt trip maybe. How guilty should the BBC feel about harbouring and financing paedophiles. 31 1 hour ago
Burn the EU flags and tear up their trivial treaties! 41 4 hours ago
Burn the BBC license and stop paying for liberal propaganda. 7 4 hours ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] has not posted anything for a whole day. 6 4 hours ago
HITLER's birthplace to stand for 1,000 years. 69 4 hours ago
Sorted that copper or sautéed that copper. 4 4 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  159
Initial post:  10 May 2012
Latest post:  8 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.