Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Don't tax sugar, ban it...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 96 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 19:23:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 19:24:26 GMT
OK. Let's get back to basics. Eating loads of honey and orange juice from concentrate has the same effect on you as Tate & Lyle...they can all make you fat. As can spuds, bread, pasta, noodles, pizza...

As it happens, so can eating loads of <<whole Earth>> foods, organic and other grub generally regarded as being 'good for you'...if you eat loads of them and don't burn off the calories. Look at the number of fat gourmet chefs on the telly: Jamie 'Oribble, and his cousins the 'Orrible Bikers, Delia let's be havin' yer, Nigela, Clarissa Posh, Fat Bains, Matin Buliminos, James Fartin, Wallace and Gromit and their pal Toadie, Brian Lardy Turner, Ross I was handsome Burden, Carluccio, Stein and his fat Jackie Russell...the 'celebrity chefs' (make me puke ) Hall of Fame.

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 19:32:42 GMT
Spin says:
Eat what you want. All you will hear of in this capitalist, media orientated society is the bad news. You won't hear of the millions on a less than worthy diet who survive. If diet is such a concern then instead of paying money to view SKY tv and argue on the net, start feeding the poor.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 20:18:20 GMT
Beloved....sugar...not good....addictive....yes honey is a problem....as is fruit juice...however do some thinking....are humans supposed to eat honey or is it for bees?......also fruit juice, totally unnatural...fruit is fruit....juice...oooooooer!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 21:17:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 21:18:23 GMT
Simone I'm sounding you out, trying to see what you're getting at. <<Honey is a problem>>...ooooooooer! Lol,lol,lol and more lol. No it's not. Just like refined sugar is not a problem. You can't pick on this or that as the bete noire. I don't even want to talk about 'problems'...apart from Arsene, now he's a big lanky problem...ban him! Ooooh we've just got a soft goal!

People are fat now in growing numbers because of the way they live and their diet is only part of the cause. Obesity, clinical obesity, morbid obesity...fat death amongst humans and their dogs, on any significant scale, has only just appeared. Why is that? As I wrote earlier you could live off the very best whole Earth foods and be a celebrity chef, but if you eat enough relative to your activity you'll get fat, even if it's not packed with refined sugar. People are eating more calorie loaded grub in larger portions and spending more and more time on their bums...result = Billy and Bessie Bunters. Ukeydonkeyland = Euro fat club.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 21:50:50 GMT
Ian says:
Why is cane (Tate & Lyle) or beet (Silver Spoon) sugar any less natural for a human to consume than fruit sugar or stevia?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 22:00:14 GMT
Ian says:
So how so we define "junk" food?

By sugar content - so we tax fruit juices and smoothies but not Diet Coke or Pepsi Max?
By fat content - so traditional artisan cheeses and cream are taxed but revolting fat-free yoghurts with gelatine and Aspartame aren't?
Simon's "added sugar" tax will just lead to lots of food with artificial sweeteners. They're already hard to avoid and taste terrible - incredibly manufacturers can use artificial sweeteners and label the food as "no artificial flavours" even though 'sweet' is one of only 5 flavours your tongue can taste.

I don't have a problem with taxing rubbish food but I can't see an easy way to define it that manufacturers won't just use to cynically make terrible foods which dodge the tax (replacing fat with horrible thickeners such as a gums and sugars with Aspartame and other revolting chemicals) and leave us paying more for decent foods.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 23:38:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 23:38:50 GMT
While were in banning mode, let's go the full mile. Why pick on Tate & Lyle? Howzabout we ban all processed gloop. If yer want's to eat yer cooks it yerself from raw like a every household did in the good old days and a few of us still do?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 04:05:17 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 04:08:27 GMT
While were is freedom mode let's allow everything...

Trans fats, heroin, steroids, hey...come on...why do we need prescriptions...I want morphine...FREEDOM MAN!...yeah, yeah, ...

Freedom...freedom...freedom...me, me, me....ego, ego, ego...NO ONE tells me what to do...it's all about me...me...me.......MEEEEEE!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 04:09:13 GMT
IN...tax or ban ANY food with added sugar....

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 08:09:03 GMT
I agree, it would be a difficult one to bring in. On the line of ugly 'fake' junk foods - I forget the name of it, but that diet chocolate is just plain awful.

The trouble as well is quantity - perhaps they could try making something whereby packets can't exceed a certain amount of x. For example, Haribo bags are like a meals worth of calories, fats, sugars etc so possibly reducing bag size so that it doesn't go over 100 calories/x grams of fat/x grams of sugar ?
Rather than taxing the 'bad' foods, reduce them to a reasonable size. The intentionally greedy can still by three bags if they want, but people like me who graze through a normal bag just because it's there will just buy one smaller one (because I don't want someone seeing me with three bags of sweets and thinking 'you fat barsteward' lol)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 09:06:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 09:13:15 GMT
Calm down. You are missing my point. I've not said we should or shouldn't ban this or that like you have. I'm interested to know why we are fat now.

<<Freedom...freedom>>, you sneer, well it's one approach. But if we are to allow people complete freedom to eat and live as they wish then we should also allow them complete freedom to live with the consequences or sort themselves out (try to) at their own expense. Our welfare state says,'it's your entitlement to live how you choose, you have no responsibility for the consequences of your actions'. This is at the heart of the 'problem', not any particular food type. Yesterday, I read about a young bloke, a chef lol, who asked for and got his stomach stapled on the NHS. He lost 13 stone. he's now upset, "suicidal" (drama queen), because the NHS won't remove 4 stone of loose skin that he says is making him suicidal. A typical fat bloke: 'it's not my responsibility that I'm fat, the NHS should help me'. Attitude is why people are fat.

I'm not suggesting complete freedom...not so long as taxpayers pick up the tab for the consequences.

I'm not suggesting banning added sugar...not on its own at least. Because banning added sugar won't stop obesity. Why, because it's not the only or even the main reason people get fat. Getting fat is caused by the way we live now, which includes our eating habits, what we eat, how much energy we burn:

People skip breakfast, eat sugary, starchy snacks throughout the day, no proper lunch, big blow out at dinner time, alcohol, and then snack on sweeties, crisps and pop until bed time. This is eating pattern, plus caffine, is why people can't control their blood sugar levels.

Comfort eating

Eating too fast

Eating too much energy dense food packed with refined sugar, starch and fat

Eating out too much, and/or eating takeaway and home delivered meals.

Too much fried food...fat is loaded with calories.

Too much alcohol...it's full of calories.

Too much pop, stuffed with sugar and caffeine..and calories

Too little fibre

Too little activity, not just not taking exercise, but not moving about enough. Most people used to do manual jobs and burned off their food, walked everywhere, did things for themselves, now they sit about

Eating too much

Attitude: it's not my fault. Blame: it's me thyroid. THEY should do something to make me slim. Maybe it IS the ego, you're always on about, that's causing our fatness.

So if we are in the banning business picking on added sugar won't fix 'the problem' Even if we banned all refined foods it would still not fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 09:08:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 09:14:40 GMT
OK, but why pick on added sugar, it's just ONE of the many reasons more people are now fat. It won't remove the fundamental reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 09:32:32 GMT
Start small...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 10:44:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 10:44:20 GMT
...cop out.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 10:46:07 GMT
Howzabout we agree on what's really causing fatties and address that

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 10:57:43 GMT
Okay!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 11:19:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 11:24:47 GMT
On a simple level...too many calories..however some research shows that sugar and the large release of insulin causes the body to store more fat than a diet high in protein and fat. Remember Mr Atkins?

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 12:27:14 GMT
Defenceman says:
Oh, how pointless these discussions are. Trying to find complex answers to the most simple and basic questions because you don't want to face the simple and basic answer. Just take a look at film footage from the mid 20th century or take a look at some photos from around that time. There's rarely a fatty to be seen. Why? People did more and ate less. They didn't have cars, so they walked. Many jobs involved manual labour, so they worked hard. They couldn't afford huge amounts of food, so they ate less.

Fast forward 50 or so years, and we have a land of plenty, where food is abundant, hard work is shirked and many of us, including me, lead a sedentary lifestyle. So increased obesity is scarcely surprising - it's exactly what would be expected given the changes in the way we live.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 12:40:10 GMT
Dear David...why do you bother to post in a discussion that is pointless?...what does it say about you?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 12:57:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 13:16:27 GMT
Why is banning added sugar, as Simone wants, <<trying to find complex solutions to the most simple and basic questions because you don't want to face the simple and basic answer>>?

You write that you are sedentary are you fat? If so, why when you know the combo of eating more and sitting around is the cause of obesity?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 13:20:15 GMT
I agree that sounds plausible. Gloop makers have reduced the amount of sugar they put in their pop...but folk have continued to get fatter faster. I don't disagree that added sugar consumption is too high, probably, but it's not the only factor.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 14:10:15 GMT
Beloved...should we look to hormones?....

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 15:38:38 GMT
Oooooh I don't know much about them. Perhaps the huge quantities of crap people eat combined with their lack of physical activity and the stress you keep going on about buggers up their hormones

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2013 16:30:47 GMT
Defenceman says:
Simon DHB,

'Dear David...why do you bother to post in a discussion that is pointless?...what does it say about you? '

Less than it says about anybody else who debates a pointless subject, and one where the solution is very simple and scarcely needs debate..
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Welsh traits on show, as would be leader ploughs on, regardless of livestocks objections. 14 9 minutes ago
Why the Labour Party must and will split. 42 11 minutes ago
Thousands of those on incapacity benefits will suddenly be jumping into action and being able to work for a month, a miracle, then it's back on the welfare. Yes the Paralympics are about to start. 2 13 minutes ago
Ukraine celebrates its independence with a military parade... 2 14 minutes ago
Oh...and by the way...we came second... 33 32 minutes ago
STOP recycling your household waste now. Put it all in one bin and let the council sort it out. It is THEIR job. That's what WE pay them for. 16 1 hour ago
Do people take "pride" in their Olympian heroes because they are not capable of success in their life? 13 5 hours ago
Is Sport News? 2391 6 hours ago
Leftout's mother was a HO 58 7 hours ago
Human Scum 48 10 hours ago
Merkel tells Germans to stock up on essentials and prepare for the nightmare of mass immigration. 15 21 hours ago
Open letter to Forgiven / Bunter / el Rabid (etc.) 74 22 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  18 Feb 2013
Latest post:  25 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions