Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

What would a "Taoist politics" be like?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2013, 05:28:35 BST
http://www.globalresearch.ca/reflecting-on-canadas-sovereignty-americas-plan-to-annex-and-invade-canada/5341097......first nations/native americans of north america really don't care they are,one with the earth and flowers and basically consider themselves americans

http://www.globalresearch.ca/latest-news-and-top-stories

http://www.globalresearch.ca/north-american-integration-and-the-militarization-of-the-arctic/6586

http://www.amazon.ca/Americas-Deadliest-Export-Democracy-Everything/dp/1780324456/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373248762&sr=1-1&keywords=william+blum

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 13:12:56 GMT
Spin says:
Dan: Indeed. And they were not. They were faithful adaptations of a unique novel. (Let's see the "Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales" being filmed, eh?) =)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 13:12:44 GMT
gille liath says:
Hmm - it's libertarianism, but according to whom is it Taosim?

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 13:08:52 GMT
Dan Fante says:
I said the film versions were camp.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 13:06:53 GMT
Spin says:
Dan: And you say that LOTR is "camp"? I have a feeling "The Hobbit" will be "camp"...The book was...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 12:54:43 GMT
Dan Fante says:
So did I. I'd read The Hobbit, TLOTR and even The Silmarillion before I left middle school.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 12:50:52 GMT
Spin says:
Dan: I disagree. But then I grew up with Tolkeins works, not with Hollywood films.

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 12:49:06 GMT
Dan Fante says:
The films are as camp as a row of tents.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 12:42:14 GMT
Spin says:
Dan: I would not call LOTR "camp". If anything, it re-introduced the concepts of honour, friendship and purpose to an ailing western society. As the book tried to do..

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 12:16:21 GMT
Dan Fante says:
I was looking forward to it myself but the 3 films thing has put me off a bit. I enjoyed TLOTR trilogy too. In all its camp hilarity.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 12:14:37 GMT
Spin says:
Dan: We'll see, eh? I hope I am wrong. I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy. I'm taking my son to see it this week, (My better half and our daughters are not interested. Women, eh? Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. =)

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 12:09:59 GMT
Dan Fante says:
Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous given The Hobbit is a light-hearted kids book, i.e. 3 films, the first of which is nearly 3 hours long. I believe the last part of the three is to tie up the bit between The Hobbit and TLOTR. So, they're making two three hour films out of a relatively small kids' book and a third film out of what amounts to the appendices. Talk about a cash-in.

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 12:04:42 GMT
Spin says:
The Hobbit film is a trilogy? How on earth did they make that possible? Everything relevent about the "The Hobbit" was presented in the LOTR. I have a feeling this film will live up to "expectations" rather than remain true to the original novel, as LOTR did..

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 11:49:06 GMT
Pendragon says:
Hi kraka

I was not expecting you to be near Cambridge, but is there no cinema within reach of your trusty bus pass?

No Sky film channel in this dwelling alas.

It is Thursday 13th, day after tomorrow, not next week.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Posted on 11 Dec 2012, 11:21:16 GMT
kraka says:
Pendragon, hi

Really appreciate your thoughtful and timely reminder and i would be there like a shot but unfortunately where we live we would need transport to get to Cambridge which we don't have now we are retired. State benefits meant we had to sell the car five years ago and become reliant on our bus passes, so i feel a little green with envy that i'll miss out. I will get the dvd just as soon as possible and will have to excersise my impatience a little bit longer. I can imagine that viewed on the big screen it will be an awesome experience and i hope that it exceeds your expectations, his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is more than a hard act to follow, how do you raise the bar on that effort.

I don't know if you have Sky TV and subscribe to the film channels but major new releases and premiere openings usually get covered with interviews with directors and actors etc. along with reviews. The recent Harry Potter films had a lot of coverage this way and i'm hoping "The Hobbit" will get similar treatment.

I will think of you on Thursday week, and if poss. let me know what you thought of it.

In the meantime mind how you go, and again thanks........................kraka.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 10:24:41 GMT
Spin says:
John: But can people be trusted, indeed do they trust themselves, to live in a manner that does not need governance? Is not governance one of the most ancient human structures?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012, 10:19:59 GMT
Pendragon says:
Hi kraka

Back after a break and I saw you posting, which therefore reminded me - got your tickets for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" yet?

The first showing in Cambridge is 11:40 am on Thursday this week. Doors open at 10:15 am. I am not sure how many people will be there, but just in case I intend to be there before the doors open (with a good book to pass the time till 11:40 or so). Unfortunately it is 3D, but at the time I bought my tickets the earliest 2D showing, at a different cinema, was not until Friday night, and is virtually full house (allocated seating for that one).

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012, 22:30:09 GMT
Pendragon says:
Hi kraka

The clue to the title of Chapter 1 was in the posts - "A Long-Expected Party"!

Sorry to hear that poor eyesight inhibits your reading now. Talking books are a good thing imho.

I acquired the Hobbit talking book myself on CD earlier this year - not because I have difficulty reading the book, but so I can listen to it in the car. Got to be prepared for 13 December after all! Mine was second hand off eBay, lot cheaper than new off Amazon (probably shouldn't say that ... at least not here).

Posted on 1 Nov 2012, 01:41:07 GMT
kraka says:
Hi Pendragon.

You know i read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, Silmarillion when i was living in Yorkshire back in the 1960/70s. since then have moved down to the south coast. Along the way have lost the books and never had the chance to re-read them. Have not read much now for many years due to poor eyesight. So not being able to revisit Middle Earth i count as a sad loss.

So on the account of poor memory, i can't remember the chapter titles, so will have to forgo the generous bonus point. Damn my luck?

Ah! iv'e just had an idea maybe i'll check an see if it is available on the "talking books" recorded on CDs.

I think Sombrio left the forum after i did, i know he grew disenchanted with the adversity, which i did initially but i adapted to it. I found it became much to addictive and my whole life was centered around it, so now i restrain myself to occassional visits. The temptation to return full time is still present but i do need to keep a life going in the real world.

By the way, how are you keeping? Well i trust?

Nice talking to you again, take care.................cheers kraka

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012, 23:56:08 GMT
Pendragon says:
kraka

Likewise. I noticed you were back. No sign of Sombrio recently though (at least not on Religion Forum).

Until 14 December then. I'll be busy on the 13th.

P.S. 10/10 certainly Unexpected.
So for your Bonus Point, can you give us the title to Chapter 1 of The Fellowship of the Ring?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012, 18:57:18 GMT
kraka says:
P.S. For Pendragon.

Sorry i overlooked your posts opening, for which you are awarded an unexpected 10/10.

Cheers.............................kraka

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012, 18:51:05 GMT
kraka says:
Hi Pendragon

Greetings, how nice to encounter you again after so long, and thank you for your most welcome post. Yes i can't wait to be able to watch the "Hobbit" trilogy and Peter Jackson's the director.......WOW. He brought the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy so vividly to life on the screen that his treatment of this type of material is not only stunning but second to none. I could sing praise for both Tolkein and Jacksons with rapture except they both leave me speechless in awe of their creations. Jacksons hand compliments Tolkeins glove beautifully, if you get my drift.

I reside in the UK so will have to wait a bit longer to view, but i just know the wait will be worth it.

Take care my friend and enjoy the release.........Cheers kraka.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012, 17:24:43 GMT
Pendragon says:
kraka

"expect the unexpected, hope it exceeds your unexpected expectations".

Alright so far as it goes.
Even better, expect the expected, hope it exceeds your expected expectations of the Unexpected.

Naturally I speak of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", the first film of the Hobbit trilogy, which is now scheduled to be in UK cinemas on 13 December 2012.

If you happen to be down under, it is to be released on 28 November 2012 in Wellington, New Zealand.

Now, where's my lastminute.com password ... ?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012, 14:37:01 GMT
Spin says:
Kraka; Wisdom, whatever that might be, teaches one not to expect anything. But as I am a mere human, I cannot help but expect things from those who claim that they know what they are doing...=)

Posted on 31 Oct 2012, 14:29:51 GMT
kraka says:
Does not wisdom teach............to expect the unexpected, hope it exceeds your unexpected expectations.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  28 Oct 2012
Latest post:  17 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.