Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited 4 months for £0.99 Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

reasons to be a proud brit.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Apr 2012, 01:06:12 BST
wobberoo says:
There seems to be quite a negative air around the notion you could actually take some pride in your born heritage.I'm glad I live here.There are British people who I'd like to disassociate myself from,but they would fit that criteria,wherever they were from.As Count Arthur Strong once said,everybody should take the trouble to learn a foreign language,English.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 09:42:36 BST
gille liath says:
Conkers.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 12:28:38 BST
J.Yasimoto says:
Jumpers for goalposts.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 13:54:06 BST
AJ Murray says:
Count Arthur Strong is one reason to be proud of being British.

We have such a wealth of humour.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 15:23:38 BST
Sammy Packer says:
Count Arthur should make us all proud to be British. Does he not typify us all in that he believes only what he wants to and blames everyone else for whatever goes wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 16:22:09 BST
Taking pride in something you have no control over is the sign of a very low level of rational thought. Better to look at other countries as well as the UK and then decide if any are worthy of the emotion called pride.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 16:40:55 BST
Sammy Packer says:
Apologies to AJ Murray for pinching your idea almost verbatim... My comment's not a retort to yours... I thought, at the time of writing, that I was having an original thought! Maybe our salvation is in Count Arthur after all.

Simon, are you challenging the rationality of these comments? If so, take another look.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 16:43:12 BST
Dear DrDR.

Please only comment on what is typed...I meant what I wrote...being proud of something that is nothing to do you with you is a 'nappy level' attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 16:45:03 BST
Sammy Packer says:
Please forgive me - I'm getting confused (really)... but that's nothing new.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 17:15:04 BST
Spin says:
Wob: Usually when one is proud of ones nation there is a reason to be proud. Being "proud to be british", at the moment, is nothing but a stubborn, ignorant form of nationalism which can get out of hand. Instead of merely claiming that ones nation is superior to every other, one should work to prove it. Actions speak louder than words.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 17:59:59 BST
easytiger says:
So stop spouting sh 4 te and get on with it.
Triumph motorcycles.
Free speech.
Driving on the proper side of the road.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 18:09:26 BST
Pipkin says:
I'm not proud to be 'British' as such; but am proud to be a Human Being and consider all men/women as equal.
That I was born in Britain, I am grateful for, and think that generally we are good hearted, hard working people, who have been often misused and misled..

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 18:18:18 BST
Spin says:
I'm proud not to be "proud" =)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 18:41:03 BST
Pipkin says:
Hi Spin,
Yes, Ok, I'll rephrase it. I would rather be a ''Humane Being'' than be proud to be anything else.
Is that more acceptable? :)
Margaret x

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 19:03:45 BST
Spin says:
ME: My post was a general comment intended to outline the oddity of the concept being argued about. I was not replying to anyones post in particular. Bonne nuit, mon ami.. =)

Posted on 3 Apr 2012, 07:44:05 BST
easytiger says:
So when does being proud of something infer that you are are superior to someone and a rabid nationalist. That sort of nonsense is the real danger and keeps 'them' in power through self-inflicted censorship (or political correctness as it's called these days).

Posted on 3 Apr 2012, 07:49:10 BST
easytiger says:
As a frequent contributor to 'ashamed British' your expression 'outline the oddity of the concept being argued about' is invalid to say the least.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 08:07:08 BST
C. A. Small says:
Easy tiger- I am just rebuilding a t160 trident!

Posted on 3 Apr 2012, 08:29:00 BST
easytiger says:
Nice one.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 10:23:46 BST
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012, 10:24:40 BST
gille liath says:
This is it - if Britain is ever to recover its sense of balance, we need to be able to understand that we can be proud of what we are without having to say that we're better than anybody else. Until then, the issue will continue to be hijacked by the far right (who want national identity to be exclusively about race) and the far left (who wrongly imagine that we don't need one at all); ordinary, decent people will continue to be shut out from a legitimate sense of belonging.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012, 10:31:32 BST
Maria says:
I am proud to be British because that is what I am, & this is my country where I think the good outweighs the bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 10:31:46 BST
C. A. Small says:
Gille- brilliant post.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 11:30:14 BST
G. Heron says:
AJ Murray

Yes indeed Count Arthur Strong is a great i-pad, er eye-wash, damn it, icon.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 14:53:13 BST
"That I was born in Britain, I am grateful for, and think that generally we are good hearted, hard working people, who have been often misused and misled.." - Often by our own government...

Posted on 3 Apr 2012, 14:54:56 BST
Sunderland's Nissan plant, the most efficient car manufacuring site in the world.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Hillsborough: 28 years later... 3 26 minutes ago
Queenie's speech 34 42 minutes ago
Good cop, bad cop? 19 7 hours ago
Brian May's Big Issue... 84 8 hours ago
What happened to JC's "kinder, gentler" politics? 26 8 hours ago
Shocking and horrific fire in London... 214 11 hours ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests proving homosexuality is from parental neglect 302 12 hours ago
Remember the Labour Party well and good--- Tony Blair did disarm Gadhafi of much WMD by invading Iraq in 2003 610 13 hours ago
Any old iron? 49 16 hours ago
I hope all you "Brexiters" are sleeping well... 105 17 hours ago
DUP talks not going as expected 51 1 day ago
The Church of England needs to get back into the mainstream of society--Bible is largely scientifically accurate (water is older than the Sun like Genesis said) 147 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  2 Apr 2012
Latest post:  7 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer