Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Nikon D5100 - What case/bag?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Oct 2012, 22:41:26 BST
Hi, have d5100 with 18-55 and 55-200 and would like a good sized case or bag to hold these and maybe one more lens in the future. Also to hold light jacket. Any ideas please.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 10:36:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2012, 10:51:00 GMT
Graham H says:
Lowepro Flipside 300 Photo Backpack - Black

I have this case, and it's extremely good. You can configure the internal partitions in many different ways too, so you'll easily get your current kit in and lots more besides. Although I think I paid less than £50, so shop around.
If it's a shoulder-type bag you're after then I also have a Tamrac "Pro" Series (can't remember which model but I think it's the one below) and that's extremely capacious too. But I wouldn't go for a shoulder bag personally as it makes your neck ache if you're carrying it any distance. I only ever used this once for that very reason, and now it just serves as a storage bag at home.

Tamrac 5605 Pro 5 Camera Bag Blk

Must admit that I no longer use camera bags. I don't carry everything but the kitchen sink these days, as experience and old age has made me lazy. I take just what I know I'll need rather than everything I think I might possibly need. For reasons of portability and unobtrusiveness, a Fujifilm X10 has replaced my Nikon D90 for carry-everywhere duties and a selection of 1970's Olympus OM's has replaced the DSLR for "serious" use as they're tiny and will easily go in a regular messenger bag. I only really use the DSLR these days for motor racing, and when I do, the Flipside is the perfect carry solution.

There's no real easy answer for you I'm afraid Matthew. You'll have to think about just what you want you use the case for and decide yourself really. But whatever you buy, try it first. Bags are one of the few things left that it's better to buy in a proper shop rather than online.

Street shooting? A Tamrac Rally is ideal:

Tamrac Rally 6 Messenger Camera Bag Brown/Beige

Walking around all day and needing lots of kit? (Birdwatching, Wildlife, Motor Racing, etc) My Lowe Pro Flipside is extremely comfortable and secure.
Going to shoot street stuff or events in hostile or deprived areas? Don't take a camera bag. Get a cheap but strong old rucksack or gas mask bag from an army surplus shop for a tenner or less and use that. Not a good idea to attract attention in some places!

But ideally I prefer to have no bag, hence my habit of carrying minimal kit if I can get away with it.

Good luck!

Graham.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 18:33:55 GMT
That seems like a good selection from Graham.
You could try one of the lowepro Slingshot range which is in between the back pack and the shoulder bag.
I use a 200 size I won on Ebay.
I have also used gas mask bags for years. In fact up till I bought a dSLR I could get 2 lenses and my OM1 in together with a couple of films and filters.
Such is progress.
I now use medium format quite a lot but I can still get the Bronica, w/a lens, spare back and several films in a Lowepro Rezo 160. Also filters.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2012, 10:11:35 GMT
S. Grason says:
I'd look at the Lowepro Nova range if you want a shoulder bag, of if you can afford it go for a ThinkTank retrospective or urban disguise series. If you want a backpack look at the Kata DR-465/466/467 they are great if you want to carry some non-photo gear as well (the 466 and 467 also have a laptop compartment). The Lowepro Pro Runner series of backpacks are also good if you want to carry loads of photo gear and again, if you can afford them, the ThinkTank Streetwalker series are the best. Personally I'd avoid Tamrac, as for the little difference in cost the Lowepro bags are significantly better built.

Posted on 21 Nov 2012, 15:16:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Nov 2012, 15:16:23 GMT
Graham H says:
Speaking from my own experience, I've found my Tamrac bags to be considerably more durable than my LowePro ones I've had in the past. Tamrac seem to use a far more heavy-duty grade of Cordura on the outside. But then again it's pretty academic, They're both good. Either one won't let you down.

Posted on 21 Nov 2012, 20:15:48 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Nov 2012, 20:16:30 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (780 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  24 Oct 2012
Latest post:  21 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.