Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Recommendations For A 55mm UV Filter For Sony 75-300 (SAL75300) Zoom

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2009 11:11:21 BDT
I have a SONY SAL75300 zoom lens and am trying to find a 55mm UV filter to protect it. After buying a Tiffen UV filter on Amazon I noticed the lens and filter glass touched in the very centre. Whilst the contact area was very small it sort of defeated the point of having it to protect the lens so I returned it.

Is anybody else using this lens with a UV filter? If so, what brand of filter are you using?

Posted on 19 Jun 2009 22:19:18 BDT
C. Cui says:
Don't worry about getting something particularly expensive, since the lens isn't the highest of quality. I would just get one of the cheaper Hoya Green series filters. No need for fancy multi-coats or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2009 12:49:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2009 12:50:28 BDT
S. Peacock says:
If they're touching, that suggests the lens has a slightly protruding front element. This seems unusual for a lens of that zoom range as this is normally a feature of very wideangle lenses, but if you are having this kind of problem, probably your easiest and cheapest solution is a step-up ring and a slightly larger filter. These are just simple metal rings that attach to the filter thread and are designed to allow you to attach a filter of a different size. So for instance, you could buy a 55-58mm step-up ring and then buy a 58mm UV filter. Step-up rings are dirt cheap, just £3 or so. I guess ideally you'd want a 55-55mm ring (i.e. not a step-up, but a step-the-same), but I've never heard of such a thing. Dont be tempted to use a step-down ring as you'll get vignetting (darkened corners on your pictures). If you have more than one lens a step-up ring can also help you save money on things such as polarisers too. So if you have one lens with a 55mm thread and one with a 62mm thread, you can buy a 55-62mm step-up ring and then buy just a 62mm polariser rather than buy one of 55mm and one of 62mm.

There's plenty of UV filters around and they vary dramatically in cost, but all are just flat glass, so if one is touching the front element I'd guess they all will (in fact, the more expensive ones would be more likely to have a problem as they are usually much slimmer). As with anything else, buy the best you can afford, but as someone else said, don't bother putting a really top quality filter on a cheap lens and more importantly don't put a cheap UV filter on a good lens.

Posted on 26 Jun 2009 22:40:20 BDT
I have the same lens and a Hoya UV filter. I didn't think it was touching so I tried putting a piece of flat newspaper, about 1/2 in square in the center of the lens and screwed the filter on fairly tightly. The paper will slide around under the filter so it is not touching - it is close though.

Maybe I got lucky with tolerences - I don't know.

A step up ring will work but you have to consider other lenses - I also have the 18-70 and the possibility of having to double up on different size filters is not appealing.

One thought - buy a cheap 55mm filter and remove the glass - use the ring as a spacer?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (778 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  16 Jun 2009
Latest post:  26 Jun 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions