Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Pets discussion forum

cat litter .........driving me a tad insane

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Aug 2012 21:12:05 BDT
S.R.J says:
Firstly apologies if this subject has been raised before, but this is my first foray in these parts and I really would like any advice.
The last week or so my cat has been spreading litter all over the floor, she is ordinarily tidy. But recently its everywhere, and I don't mean tracked around, just spread all over. Every time she uses her liiter tray its a mess, so..no I haven't changed the type of litter, she wont go outside (many afforts all a failiure), cat food remains the same.
Anyone experienced same? Solutions?
thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 07:51:55 BDT
rosemarie says:
Have you tried the enclosed litter box. You will still get some mess but i found ir helped as mt cat seems to think she is scratching for england. Akso a rug under the box then you can lift it and shake it outside. Good luck. Rose

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012 19:35:23 BDT
kitty says:
Yes the enclosed litter boxes are great. I got one without the door as I know they wouldn't use one with a door. I think you can take the plastic doors off though.My advice is to get a large one as then they don't feel so penned in.

Barbara

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2012 08:52:29 BDT
Miss Dalby says:
Hello,

I had the same problem with one of my cats, little bugger! The enclosed litter trays are great, I have these two, both enable you to roll the tray which collects the litter in a scoop that you just pull out; no mess!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_without_filter/300917

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_without_filter/298893

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 09:52:40 BDT
Melanie says:
Why not try one of these enclosed litter trays?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007XQQFBW

No more spraying litter everywhere and easy to clean :)

There are also available in a corner version too!

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 10:52:06 BDT
i use my cats travel box lol, as i have 4 kittens and a adult cat and the litter is walked all over the house, i also changed to wood pellet litter which is much better easier and depending on where u live and the shops u have cheaper, a 15kg bag is only 8quid

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 12:07:34 BDT
Jacqui says:
If you really want to consider your cat's feelings as well as your own, please don't buy a covered litter tray as these inventions cause a build up of ammonia so that If & WHEN your pet enters it is a most unpleasant experience for her/him. I suggest you purchase a high sided storage box to help keep the litter spread controlled and use paper pellets as these are much the best product as the pinewood pellets hold a resin which will react with the ammonia in your cat's urine. Placing a small rug under the box will certainly be a help as any dry litter which clings to the cat's paws will drop off as it jumps out of the box & can easily be returned. If you have problems obtaining paper litter try contacting www.fibrecycle.com I've kept Siamese & Orientals for many years and these breeds are very quirky in their behaviour so the tips I have given should help you cope with any other breed of cat's habits.

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 15:04:30 BDT
I find enclosed litter trays really great and use Catsan having tried all the others. I use a can of cat food on top to hold the door flap up permanently. I still get some on the floor but will use the idea of a mat to stop it going everywhere. I have 7 cats, but only two use the hooded tray - thank goodness - I wouldn't like to afford Catsan for all of them!!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2012 12:11:46 BDT
Buy an Omega Paw Cleaning Litter Mat - available on amazon - an place in front of litter tray door. Picks up everything from kitty's feet and stops litter travelling through house. Additionally as a cat owner for 30 years I have just discovered OkoPlus Cat's Best Cat Litter. Wonderful!! Clumping. Eliminates odour- there is nothing else on the market that compares to it. Looks expensive but very economical to use so excellent value. Available at Vetuk.co.uk

Posted on 20 Aug 2012 16:24:51 BDT
Mr. Garnham says:
Enclosed trays are horrible. They hold in the smell. Check if she has a touch of diarrhoea or a urine infection. Cats desperate for the loo flick it out everywhere in a desperate hurry to get it ready to go in.

Posted on 20 Aug 2012 17:16:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Aug 2012 17:17:17 BDT
S.R.J says:
Thanks for the many suggestions......................well I took rather different approach in th end. I decided that using the methods suggested above might sort the symptoms but possibly ignore the underlying problem , so after pondering I decided that given this behaviour was so out of character she must be unhappy about something. In short I purchased a plug in diffuser, gave her ridiculous amounts of attention and hey presto within 48 hrs back to normal, now just a tiny little bit of litter ends up outside her tray, whereas before the WHOLE floor was covered- problem solved.
So, thanks again everyone, take care
S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 10:14:52 BDT
This sounds great I will try it - my old cat of 18 is very stressed and sometimes misses the catbox - this may help her. Thanks

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 13:33:30 BDT
My in-door kitten (4 months) is using a clear storage box (lid off) with high sides -- this does cut down on the litter scatter, although it takes a full bag of Thomas clumping litter (normal size) that is cleaned daily and dumped completely once a week. It's expensive but I have been through several brands and types, and this is the best I have found for my situation (no dust). I would not be in favour of an enclosed litter tray because of the ammonia build up. Unfortunately, 'Berlioz' thinks a clean litter tray is for playing in -- I presume he'll out grow this.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 09:28:50 BDT
I don't use enclosed litter trays any more but have found a special cat mat for use outside the tray which stops the litter being spread everywhere. I found mine on Amazon. I have 7 cats but only the two oldest ones (18 years old) use a tray.

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 08:40:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Sep 2012 09:01:42 BDT
Mark says:
Regarding the comments from people saying enclosed litter trays smell or hold in ammonia, they don't if you keep them clean! (with litter like Catsan, unlike clumping litter, the wee stays in the litter until it is changed)

I have tried every kind of litter on the market and have found Cats Best OKO to be the best. It is wood pellets but it clumps so you can remove wees as well as poos. I have always removed the flaps on them as some cats don't like being totally enclosed.

I think it is impossible to have zero litter tracking but it takes 2 seconds to clean up with a dustpan & brush or a dustbuster type hand vacuum.

A 10L bag of Cats Best lasts about a month in one tray as you are removing all the soiled material. It costs £8.99 a bag in Pets At Home or £6.99 a bag from Zooplus. You can also buy larger bags via Amazon. (the 15kg bag equates to 30L)

PS - No I don't work for Cats best :) - it is a German company and I am in Kent :)

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 21:35:42 BDT
My Charlie is nearly 18 and I have found the diffuser option the best bet along with supplying her with clean litter regularly. I also use plastic litter liners.

Posted on 7 Sep 2012 16:29:44 BDT
J. Wheatley says:
My Boy is 4 yrs old and a permanent indoor cat, I have his litter tray in my wet room and on the whole most of the litter remains in there. It takes seconds to clean it up with my dust buster. He does occasionally act like he is scratching for the Olympics :) even though I take out the solids every day. I am using a wood based litter BUT @Mark I think I might give Cats Best a try, I also use the litter box liners. I am not keen on using an enclosed litter box because of the ammonia build up so dust buster once a day it is :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2012 10:29:57 BDT
Hi,
if you purchase and use the "Tilt and Roll" Cat loo you will find this eliminates odours of amonia and otherwise as each time the cat uses the cat loo, you simply tilt the cat loo and the cats doings roll into a drawer incorporated in one side of the cat loo. You can then simply and easily flush the contents down the loo or place in the bin.
You use ultra clumping (fine grain) cat litter with it, to make sure it can pass through the intergrated seive inside the cat loo. This ensures a very economical use of the cat litter and the cat is kept very happy and healthy because it never comes into contact with its waste.
We have two of these tilt and roll cat loos and can recommend them 100%

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2012 15:57:07 BDT
Hi Sarah, thanks for this. What's the name of the cat litter you use?
Thanks Sue

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2012 21:18:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Sep 2012 21:32:41 BDT
Hi Sue,
We use Sanicat Professional Clumping Gold, a treasure trove for cat owners, clumping cat litter, 99.9% dust-free and economical! It looks like golden sand. Very fine and one 6l box lasts us six weeks.
We have 4 Cats (2 Bengals and 2 x bengal rescues) and the Sanicat is by far the best one we have tried and still use.
Sainsbury's own brand of ultra clumping comes a close second along with Catsan's ultra clumping gold which looks exactly the same as Sainsburys version except for the logo on the bag!
We bought the Omega tilt and roll cat loo -large- as our bengals are quite big and it is worth every penny ( The old cat litter trays are now used for plants!)
Honestly we feel that although the outlay of the Sanicat may be more money intially than other brands it far outweighs them with fantastic performance as it clumps itself round all their wee's and poo's hygeinically and easily... Forming little golf ball size lumps which when you tilt and roll the cat loo, simply fall easily and quickly without odour or mess into the intergrated drawer. I have an intolerance to the smell of ammonia (my eyes water and my nose runs) and I didnt want my cats to suffer in a similar way. With the Sanicat this doesnt happen EVER ;-D ...
Just make sure if you get a different brand that you feel through the bag if it doesnt have a see-through window like the Sanicat does, to make sure you are buying the fine grain sand and not the bigger granules which don't work with the Omega tilt and roll cat loo.
As inside the Omega tilt and roll is a wall with a sieve structure so when you tilt and roll the cat loo so it rolls onto its roof, the fine grade sand-like litter passes through the sieving wall into a reservoir inside leaving behind the poos and wees which are now economically covered in the fine grains of the cat litter.
Which fall into the drawer. You then remove the drawer and tip the waste either down your loo (it's flushable) or it can go into your kitchen bin as there are no odours from it! When you've emptied the drawer simply pop it back into the Omega cat loo and roll it back onto its base so the cleaned and filtered cat litter inside the cat loo slides back out of the reservoir back into the loo ready and waiting for your cat/s next visit! When you withdraw the drawer you will see (but never have to come into contact with YAY!) the cat's waste matter nicely enclosed in the cat litter. An pleasant aroma of baby powder is all that your nostrils, it doesnt put you off your food or urge you to relegate the task to your husband/partner in future as it's not a messy job now!
I used to hate the job of disposing of the cat's poo especially as with having 4 BIG cats they use it a lot and it smelled terrible!
Now I just tilt and roll it when they've used it which isnt every time as you dont need to keep on top of it (no hovering over the cat loo when the cat is still in it)LOL! Let me know how you get on, but honestly you shouldnt have any problems with odour if you use the very fine grained sand effect cat litter such as this one. We buy ours from zooplus dot co dot uk (amazon removes email addresses and correctly written websites) just use the . instead. Ok ;-D
Very Best Regards, To you and your Precious Cat/s, from Trevor, Purdy, Roly, Wilma (and Sarah)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 16:19:54 BDT
Thanks for your very informative email - you make it very clear and I will purchase one. I have 6 cats now (one was attacked and killed by I think a dog last week) so something easier than the present system would be great. Sue Bloom

Posted on 16 Sep 2012 20:25:10 BDT
I use Worlds Best Cat littler and it stops a lot of the tracking I experienced with the wood pellets that just turned to saw dust. It is expensive but lasts for ages. I have 6 cats and one 15 litre bag lasts approx a month.

However, I don't know if you have considered that your cat may have cystitis or FLUTD? My girl suffers from cystitis and I always know when she is suffering because the levels of littler outside the trays always increase when she is bad because she is constantly in and out of the tray.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2012 10:22:51 BDT
I think th enclosed cat litter trays are great too. Have been using one for a few months as I don't have a cat flap since moving...but DO use clumping litter, then you can easily and quickly remove the soiled litter daily, avoiding amonia build up and any smell. You can buy litter freshner powder too...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 12:50:30 GMT
MCL says:
If you live close to a cat protection centre they will sell you a 10kg bag of wood pellet litter for £3.50. This lasts my cat two weeks. I bought a hooded litter tray from Amazon and it's great for him but you have the choice to just use the tray which has high sides.
Ann G.

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 16:35:52 BDT
Lauren says:
I remembered litter mats were mentioned here so popped back to say I think the Drymate Cat Litter Mats
[http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Drymate+Cat+Litter+Mat ] look good - Machine Washable And Dryable.
I had the paw cleaning type before - what a faff for me to clean - soon got rid of that! Easier to use dustpan and brush. Then, a turtle doormat was the solution for me - and the cat was happy too!

I guess it all depends on the whims and vagrancies of your cat(s).
I have to confess we hated the Omega tilt and roll - they may have improved since then. We had a large one which took up a lot of space but was quite cramped inside. (As I recall the drawer seemed to occupy about a third of the width)
I used World's Best Litter (that was fine) but I didn't like that the dirty litter had been rolled round the box leaving a fine dust on all surfaces - ie on the sides and roof surrounding my cat. I felt the need to wash it every time I rolled it - several times a day :'( and that was not as easy as with a normal litter tray.
We changed to a huge open top - it was deep to stop the scatter but the front dipped to make it easier to enter / exit.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pets discussion forum (149 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pets discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  8 Aug 2012
Latest post:  21 Jul 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions