Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > netbooks discussion forum

Windows netbook or Chrome book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013, 11:39:50 GMT
Lynne Frank says:
Hi Ian
Many thanks for your helpful comments!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013, 22:34:56 GMT
Ian says:
Hi Lynne,
Not sure about your MS Word docs as, I haven't tried it on mine. However, might I suggest that you consider the rather cheaper Series 3 Samsung Chromebook. It's true that it doesn't have the 3G option but, its battery life is rather better. At £229 I think it's a real bargain. I've had mine almost 3 months now and, so far haven't regretted the the move to the Chrome O/S. Just watched David Attenborough's Africa on iPlayer without any interruption, great.
For email, internet browsing and all social networking you really can't go wrong!

Posted on 6 Feb 2013, 17:10:27 GMT
Lynne Frank says:
Samsung Series 5 550 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Silver)
I am so attracted to this option! My current laptop takes 5 or 6 minutes to load up so 7 seconds will be brilliant. However, I've one final hurdle to get over - will my MS Word documents transfer/convert to the Chromebook successfully so that I can continue to work on them? My main use would be for the internet though - Facebook, skype, email, browsing. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on 1 Feb 2013, 22:15:10 GMT
S. Radcliffe says:
We love the Samsung 3 chromebook for much the same reasons

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012, 11:06:12 GMT
Ian says:
Hi Eva, thanks so much for your post. Yeah, it's a bit of a dilema for someone like me who, basically doesn't have enough knowledge on the subject to make a qualified decision. However, based upon my research and, the kind of usage I needed it for, yeseterday I opted for the Chromebook.
I've had it less than 24 hours but, like it very much already. It's very quiet, boots up and onto the internet in the acclaimed 7 seconds and is ready for use. Yes, no Microsoft Word but, it comes with its own word processing suite which works very like Word and, can be used off line. I have, what I thought was a pretty fast PC but, when it comes to using Hotmail or Gmail the Chromebook is considerably faster.
I guess it's 'horses for courses' and, although I'm pleased that I've bought the Chromebook, I'm sure that I would have been equally pleased with the Acer.

Posted on 11 Nov 2012, 08:45:45 GMT
Stew says:
I had the same problem a few weeks ago, but I've chosen to go with the Acer Aspire one notebook instead of a Chromebook.

This is entirely because in the Chromebook everything is saved in a cloud, so there's no Microsoft Word or anything like that. It is all saved in the internet.

It is up to you, but I prefer the Acer Aspire One.

Initial post: 7 Nov 2012, 19:51:33 GMT
Ian says:
I'm getting ready to buy a netbook but, I'm confused whether to opt for the familiar Windows platform or, stick my neck out and go for the unfamiliar (to me) Google Chrome O/S.
Which ever I opt for will mainly be used for surfing the web and, accessing my Hotmail account while travelling. Battery life is a consideration too. At the moment, my virtual shopping trolly contains a Samsung series 5 Chrome book (about £225-230) and an Acer 725 (2gb ram model) (about £239) but, one has to be rejected!
HELP! Does anyone have a decisive reason for rejecting one of them?
Acer Aspire One 725 11.6-inch Netbook (Black) (AMD C60 1GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, 4 Cell Battery, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit)

Samsung Chromebook Wifi (Latest Model - Launched Oct 2012)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the netbooks discussion forum (36 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  netbooks discussion forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  7 Nov 2012
Latest post:  7 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers