Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

oh, yes, i love that album, it's a classic, it's in my top ten......lend you it?...no, i don't actually own it!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-36 of 36 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 12:41:31 GMT
china cat says:
If you were going to tech's desert island, I'd choose anything but reggae/dub; reckon he'll have that bit covered..;-)

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 13:59:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2014 14:00:00 GMT
Brass Neck says:
I can't now imagine not owning a copy of an album I consider to be a classic but way back in the 70s .......... money was tight and an album a major purchase. I had a dodgy philosophy that if a mate had an album I would tape that and buy another from that band's catalogue, usually the next release. Thus I had taped Bad Co's self-titled first and Straight Shooter (both excellent) but I bought Run With the Pack - good in parts but not a classic. I had tapes of the first 5 Sabbath albums but I bought Sabotage, again good but not their pinnacle and so on. D'oh!

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 14:17:16 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Oh wow, memories kick in. I used to do the same, Brass - and had forgotten completely. My friends and I always taped each other's album purchases, so it was very rare for any one of us to purchase something another had already. But eventually, cds took over the world, and as they became cheaper and easier to come by, my cassette collection was replaced by the equivalent album on cd. Not necessarily every cassette (copied or purchased) was upgraded to cd (tastes change, and all that), but certainly after a few years of hanging on them for no good reason (they were never played anymore), the tapes were all binned.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 14:29:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2014 19:28:35 GMT
Brass Neck says:
I still haven't binned my cassettes, don't know why. I have what was a very good cassette deck but it's not hooked up to the hifi. All those hours spent getting the levels just right, cueing the tape past the leader splice, deciding which tracks to leave off (once 70+ min cds came in), designing your own sleeves - I used to be a dab hand at copying band logos .......... all well before the availability of HQ scans of cd sleeves and cd-rs that cost little more than 15p each (used to pay up to £2 for TDK SAs)!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 14:31:23 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Yes, we [me and my mates] did the same; back in the day when I could only afford one album each month. There were one or two albums that deserved no compromise though. We all had to have our own bought copies of:-
Close to the Edge and Foxtrot both still remain in my top 20 and have become part of my DNA

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 16:31:49 GMT
brass, i could have posted that, word for word, bar i have nothing to play tapes on. :) it was better than enjoying yourself

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 16:39:12 GMT
Brass Neck says:
No you couldn't; it has capital letters! ;¨)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 16:40:49 GMT
capitalist

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 19:13:02 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Who didn't spend all those hours getting the levels just right, cueing the tape past the leader splice, and deciding which tracks to leave off, and designing your own sleeves? Ah, nostalgia! :D

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 19:29:13 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Hmm, nostalgia ain't wot it useta be!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 22:44:45 GMT
Back in the days of recording via microphones onto tape use to result in some very esoteric background noises,dogs barking,lawn mowers,etc but one of my favorites was a repeated clinking sound during a segment of Tubular Bells - I finally realized it was me munching through a bowl of Weetabix ~ very Zappa!! ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The dust has settled : its time for the definitive Brexit compilation playlist album collection : 1 40 minutes ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - 109 Nominations X or Z, the artist OR the title of the song must contain either the letter X or Z (or both letters) 49 2 hours ago
'Help! I'm a rock/pop star and I'm wearing a stupendously hideous (but amusing) outfit on my album cover.' 54 2 hours ago
The Music Forum's Movie Recommendations! 1913 3 hours ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 2243 4 hours ago
FOWEY 2016 75 4 hours ago
Electronic Soundscapes, Digital Beats and Anything & Everything That Grooves and Moves Your Mind, Body & Soul. 2652 6 hours ago
Follow the Lyric Game 8682 6 hours ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 9229 10 hours ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6347 10 hours ago
hifi 60 20 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2148 22 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  9 Jan 2014
Latest post:  12 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions