Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Hey King Crimson fans......this is what you've been waiting for..

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 May 2012 18:29:30 BDT
Crimson Medley - a medley of Mr Fripp's catchiest little tunes played - as I am sure he always intended - on a solo bass saxophone..

I mean whats not to like

Posted on 21 May 2012 18:34:26 BDT
Knockin' on Heaven's Door

he does Dylan too...and if thats not enough..
Can't Get You Out Of My Head

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 22:50:55 BDT
nephran says:
LOVL!!! You're pure Class K.O.1973...

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 22:53:53 BDT
Martin says:
Isn't there also a panpipes 5CD box set version available for £3.99?

Posted on 22 May 2012 08:02:00 BDT
I actually like it - the Crimson medley - its fun..thought Schizoid Mark would be interested/irritated

Posted on 22 May 2012 08:09:22 BDT
It's ok! I won't be buying it though!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 08:44:25 BDT
Carradale says:
I'm always plugging this......

King Crimson Songbook Vol.1

Bludee 'ell. Just noticed the price!!!!!!

Anyway here's a bit for free....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE6Ptqw3DYc

Posted on 22 May 2012 12:23:25 BDT
Gordon D says:
Why on earth would anyone do a cover version of Catfood? Wasn't the original bad enough?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 12:40:52 BDT
Carradale says:
Perhaps for that very reason?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 12:44:58 BDT
WHAT? it was fantastic! Keith Tippett turned it into a modern jazz tour de force!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 13:07:26 BDT
Looks like a hoot, KO ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 13:08:20 BDT
I wish I had kept my copy and flogged it at that price:-(

Posted on 22 May 2012 17:42:48 BDT
ric_mac says:
King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 and King Crimson Songbook Volume 2. Works of genius.

Posted on 22 May 2012 17:57:08 BDT
Still prefer the originals though.........................

Hey! WhaddyaexpecKt?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 19:03:19 BDT
Hi Carradale - I bought volume 2 of the jazz tribute to Crimson, and it was really good - gave it to my brother and can't find my copy...never had this one, and that price never will.

Hi Schizoid Mark - I agree, wouldn't buy the CD but might download that single track - its got a quirky strangeness....oh and I agree Tippett's Monkish piano on Catfood is brilliant

Hi Smitty - a hoot describes it both literally and er..non-literally, an absolute hoot Hoots Mon! (There's a Moose, Loose, Aboot This Hoose)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 19:04:16 BDT
Hi ric_mac : agree it is lovely stuff - not got the first one sadly...

Posted on 22 May 2012 23:14:45 BDT
Martin says:
Still awaiting the much-promised Chris de Burgh Sings the King Crimson Songbook - in fact he's already done (Lady in) Red.....

Posted on 23 May 2012 17:07:28 BDT
Leftin says:
Adding big support for Catfood (despite being a long-term veggie). How original was that in 1970? The line, "Don't think I am that rude if I tell you that it's catfood - Not even fit for a horse!" always gets me laughing violently (the only form of laughing with a KC album). You could also say this song was the most radical departure from the first lp (the humour on Moonchild was rather subtle).

Martin: Maybe de Burgh repeats himself when nervous...........

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 17:14:19 BDT
Apparently Peter Sinfield wrote the lyrics about how hard it was to get Vegetarian food whilst on their first U.S. tour in '69.

Posted on 23 May 2012 18:06:03 BDT
I'm thinking of purchasing my King Crimson albums in CD format. I was initially put off the straight to CD transfers as they sounded lifeless compared to vinyl. CDs are more convenient and can be readily ripped to PC and music player as FLAC files. I see that zon are selling the 30th anniversary remasters cheap. Some have more recently been released as 40th anniversary remasters for about twice the price (I know this includes DVD but the music is my primary interest). From what I have read opinion seems divided: some think the latter have been sensitively engineered by - I think - a member of Porcupine Tree, while others argue these sound awful being completely different remixes to the originals. So a question for ardent KC fans... which from your experience - if you have had opportunity to compare - is the best remastered releases? How much improvement is there between the earlier and latter anniversary releases?

Not interested in blu-ray, blue spec, etc. if these exist as I don't have the equipment to get the benefit or the spare income to pay the inflated prices. Also don't have the time to digitalise my well played vinyl albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 18:43:48 BDT
The 40th anniversary issues are superb, sonically peerless. A lot of sonic gunk that was not obvious, ie did not miss it till it was gone, was removed and the instruments are really well separated out, every one given its own "space". There are acoustic guitar bits on Cirkus that I had not noticed before. The Mellotron sounds particularily majestic.

Bear in mind though that the albums have been remixed as well as remastered, all from the original master recordings, not the multitrack mixdown to stereo tapes that most remasters are done from. Using the original multitrack recordings has allowed Fripp and Steven Wilson to really let the music shine like never before. This is not a simple re-eq job.

The 30th anniv versions were done from the mixdown tapes and are thus a couple of generations further down the chain, considerably so in the earlier stuff as they would mix down tracks to free up space on the tapes for further overdubs etc....This adds noise in the background that is impossible to get rid of without losing sound quality, particularily at the top end when the hiss is "scooped" off.

I do not have an audio dvd playback setup, so this is all based on the standard red book cd part of each release.

Are they worth the extra? YES!

Posted on 23 May 2012 23:12:23 BDT
Thanks Smitty. Better start saving me pennies.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 23:59:43 BDT
Agree...If Fripp was happy with Steve Wilson's work that's good enough for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 07:49:51 BDT
I went back to check after I wrote that and was pleased to hear that I was right. The bowed acoustic bass at the start of Formentera Lady sounds all wooden and you can hear the strings slapping about, so clear that it could not sound any better even if it was recorded last night on the best new gear. Hardly any hiss, even when I cranked it up, cos it was taken from the master tape. Copying them down is when the hiss gets added, so removing what there was was not the hassle it is from mixdown 1/4" stereo tapes(but then, you knew that).

Posted on 24 May 2012 08:17:29 BDT
Heres a good cover of King Crimsons Red by a band called Niacin which features Billy Sheehan, Dennis Chambers and John Novello http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTqvSz6yrjE
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 9244 2 hours ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6350 3 hours ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 2257 3 hours ago
'Help! I'm a rock/pop star and I'm wearing a stupendously hideous (but amusing) outfit on my album cover.' 130 4 hours ago
best songs with male and female vocals : duets thats aren't sweetness or light..for example - 17 5 hours ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - 109 Votes - X or Z, the artist OR the title of the song must contain either the letter X or Z (or both letters) 15 7 hours ago
hifi 99 7 hours ago
FOWEY 2016 80 13 hours ago
Funny business 24 16 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2149 16 hours ago
The Music Forum's Movie Recommendations! 1917 16 hours ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - 109 Nominations X or Z, the artist OR the title of the song must contain either the letter X or Z (or both letters) 57 16 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  21 May 2012
Latest post:  28 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions