Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Fave foreign folky flavours

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2012, 09:37:55 BST
One of the things I enjoyed about my recent hols in Corfu and all my hols in Greece is bouzouki music. Bought myself several bouzouki comps and have one on rotation on the in car hi fi. Not so keen on a lot of the trad Grecian songs I heard on the radio. All a bit monotonous. Also partial to a bit of the old live cajun/zydeco, esp in the bars on and around Bourbon Street, N'Awlins. Anyone here been there? So, tell us about some of the local/native music you might've enjoyed on your hols or for that matter which got on your t1t$.

Posted on 18 Sep 2012, 10:41:19 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012, 10:41:46 BST
Sparky says:
I'm probably one of the few who will admit to liking the old Pan Pipes. I'd like to say I fell in love with them while watching a condor gracefully gliding over the Andes with a beatifu olive-skinned girl lying by my side, but it was in fact outside M&S in Staines.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 11:07:49 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012, 11:10:31 BST
Funny you should say that. Back in Chelt, M & S also used to be the prime location for expat Quechua indians with their pipes and ..errm...PA units. The high street there being a tad scabby - stuffed to the gills with fat chavettes crashing pushchairs into your kees - the mystery of the pan pipes somehow got lost.

I also enjoy a bit of klezmer music and dancing to Hava Nagila. It must be due to my inner Jew.

Posted on 18 Sep 2012, 11:11:15 BST
Martin says:
It has to be Magyar, as documented so fittingly by the Fairports in their wonderful 'Hungarian Rhapsody' on the album Rosie. Nice one, Swarb!!

Posted on 18 Sep 2012, 11:20:00 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012, 11:21:02 BST
TheFoe says:
When we visited Southern Ireland a few years ago, Sharon Shannon's greatest hits cd 'Spellbound' was getting a lot of publicity, either advertised on tv or played in the bars. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but her talent for playing the squeezebox is amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZVZ53CMso

Slightly off topic, whilst we were there we visited an alternative Irish pub frequented by goths and the like. One album that got blasted a lot was this, Tourist by Saint Germain. I can't remember if you were a fan or not. I think it's a good album but best listened to after a few Guinness.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 12:00:13 BST
Indeed I do like Tourist. Also like SS though more in a live situ. She's been good on BBC4's Transatlantic Sessions.

What's pretty intolerable is Chinese and Japanese pop , which I've been subjected to quite a bit on trips out there. Makes Lady GaGa look deep and progressive. Mind you, cant say i care much for trad Far East music either and that includes the bleedin' Gamelan.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 12:06:22 BST
Martin says:
You're not a Beyond fan then, I take it? They are HK's greatest ever pop band and have made recordings in both their native Cantonese and Mandarin.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 12:15:48 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012, 12:16:02 BST
Never heard of them though i probably have heard them. Soz but the vocal intonation just grates. Flamenco singing is also grating. I love flamenco guitar and the rhythmic clapping but tunes are invariably spoiled by male wobbly warbling. Overuse of vibrato in singing should be made a criminal offence.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 14:20:03 BST
Martin says:
Unless it's done by the fab Ronnie Spector, of course!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 14:34:21 BST
David E says:
Hey Sparky, I've heard pan pipes being played in exactly the same place. Can't say that I've been won over by them though

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 14:35:52 BST
Martin says:
Is there anywhere free from those wretched things?

Posted on 18 Sep 2012, 16:15:48 BST
2old4925 says:
Terem

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 21:47:48 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012, 21:48:25 BST
Sparky says:
Well 'pan' generally means everywhere (loosely), so I guess not Martin ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012, 21:56:31 BST
Martin says:
And 'pipes' suggests a trip to the gents......

Posted on 19 Sep 2012, 17:59:14 BST
I love a bit of sitar here, a steel drum there....perhaps a koto or a koro - the more instumental voices you can dig...the longer this planets buffet of pick'n'mix goes on......uilean pipes and tabla...yum yum

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012, 09:14:59 BST
Cant beat the uillean pipes for atmos IMO. New faves of mine are the hammered dulcimer and the hang drum. Think I'll get me those.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012, 10:55:20 BST
Sparky says:
I thought this was a music discussion, not DIY !

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012, 11:21:54 BST
Martin says:
Most people are into DIY on these fora.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 146 Mash Up specials. 2 or more well known songs 'mashed' together to create a new song. 5 3 minutes ago
Benny Hill considered funnier than Monty Python and Hill's show had great musical numbers 851 2 hours ago
Lusitania much more important than Titanic (google "Germany resumes unrestricted submarine warfare") and remember that when you hear patriotic UK or US songs 264 2 hours ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 9999 6 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2394 8 hours ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 4735 9 hours ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 145 Votes - 'Classical Connections' 26 9 hours ago
Follow the Lyric Game 9987 15 hours ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6661 1 day ago
Seminal Albums - Nominations 23 2 days ago
Who really really loves Eleni Mandell ? 16 2 days ago
Electronic Soundscapes, Digital Beats and Anything & Everything That Grooves and Moves Your Mind, Body & Soul. 2737 2 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  18 Sep 2012
Latest post:  20 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.