Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

John Cale, Lou Reed or both?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Posted on 4 May 2014 13:27:29 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Blur were never my cuppa and I never wanted to feel as depressed as I do when I listen to Damon Albarn's post Blur output however this is one of my all time favorite albums. It is a belter imo. Love Travels At Illegal Speeds Not really keen on any other GC albums but this would be one of my desert island discs

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 19:54:41 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Yeah, kids definitely cramp one's style where drugs are concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 19:39:41 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Drugs. Just say no, kids!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 07:41:47 BDT
:) just to acknowledge an innaresting thread, red, but if you insist..............

i've always been disappointed with material credited to individual members of the clash after they ceased to be a unit. and as for ramones...........feast yourself on this beauty.................

http://youtu.be/rAl-xzN8e-M

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 07:20:53 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for your post CDH. I don't know very much about Joe Walsh's music however I'm also so so with The Eagles. I like The Beatles (1966 onwards, I'm not keen on their early work) but have never got on with Lennon and McCartney's solo work. Now George Harrison is a different kettle of fish. I can listen to his work endlessly.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 07:11:50 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Interesting ts. You say you have nothing to say then you say (write) something. I love the psychology on here.

Posted on 29 Apr 2014 22:49:14 BDT
C. D. Hiom says:
Love John Cale and Lou Reed but could only listen to John Cale endlessly. Another favorite comparison of mine is Joe Walsh who had a great solo career (check out Rocky Mountain Way and Barnstorm) then he joined the Eagles (who I only like so so - but love a couple of the tracks he wrote for them inc Life in The Fast Lane). Joe then had a worldwide smash with Life's Been Good. Another fav track is Turn To Stone (off Barnstorm).

Posted on 29 Apr 2014 22:32:06 BDT
i've thought short and soft on this one - i got nothing to say on the matter. :)

Posted on 29 Apr 2014 17:37:34 BDT
Ian says:
Never been a big fan of Lou, John or the Velvet Underground but Lou Reed's album New York really surprised me when it came out and is still one of my favourites.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2014 16:58:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2014 17:32:21 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
He doesn't hang around these parts, then!

As regards to Cale's back catalogue, I would suggest that Paris 1919 and The Island Years (which I don't have) would be a good place to start.

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 16:53:45 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Erudite and sophisticated gent, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2014 16:41:00 BDT
Brass Neck says:
JB's a complete what? ;¨)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2014 16:40:57 BDT
Derek W. says:
Lez - I wouldn't know where to start! If you feel the urge to send me a couple of your John Cale favourites I'll give them a try. Alternatively, I could wait 'til next week when I get my fibre broadband up and running and see if I can get Spotify to work for me (it wouldn't before).

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 16:36:52 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Derek, should you want any John Cale you know where to come. And of course JB is a completist.

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 15:03:58 BDT
Derek W. says:
Gotta be Lou, although to be fair, I don't think I've ever listened to any John Cale, so as judgments go that's about as biased as it's possible to get:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2014 14:53:37 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
I've probaby avoided Lulu for long enough, and at that price it's time to give it a go.

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 10:55:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2014 10:56:05 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Hello NH. Hope all is well. Very brave of you to mention Lulu here. I like it as well.

I have Steve Hackett's 1st solo on vinyl Voyage Of The Acolyte I play it from time to time and quite like it but I know very little about his solo stuff that followed. VotA didn't inspire me to explore further.

I'll try Raven. Thanks for the rec.

Going OT here however have you heard this? Multipurpose Trap Worth a try if you're not already familiar.

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 10:11:42 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I've not heard any Cale outside Velvet Underground, but I do very much like VU, and what I've heard of Lou Reed. Berlin is certainly my favourite of the Reed albums I've heard/own. I admit to also liking Lulu though, which seems to be almost universally disliked! :D

Genesis I like up to Gabriel leaving, though I can tolerate the two albums where Hackett is still in the band. I like Gabriel's solo work, and what I've heard of Hackett's. I admit to not having heard any of his earliest work, after Hackett first left Genesis. I have a few of his later albums, which are all very eclectic.

The first Hackett album I bought was To Watch the Storms, which I purchased purely on the strength of "Mechanical Bride". There's nothing else like that on the album, but I didn't regret the purchase, and bought Darktown soon after. I've bought another couple of Hackett albums from the same era since.

"Mechanical Bride"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0eZLjDcAxE

And, RM, as you like Bowie, you should at least pursue Reed's "Raven".... ;)

"Hop Frog"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DicP515tx24

Posted on 27 Apr 2014 07:38:38 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for your post JB. You've given me food for thought, I've never heard LR's Berlin. I shall try it.

Posted on 26 Apr 2014 14:58:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2014 00:41:51 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Two truly unique talents. Both had, and have, their cerebral and intuitive sides. Reed had the true spirit of Rock n Roll, while Cale's classical training has given him a wider musical palette to draw from, although that's not to say that Cale can't get down and dirty when he wants to. And both, of course, have extremely impressive bodies of work as members of the VU and as solo artists. As I get older I tend to lean towards Cale (Paris 1919; Music for a New Society;Words for the Dying etc, etc), but then few artists have released albums with the depth of, say, Berlin and New York. So I would definitely call myself a fan of both John Cale's and Lou Reed's work.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2014 14:00:11 BDT
TheFoe says:
:-)

Posted on 26 Apr 2014 13:53:29 BDT
 says:
'John Cale or Lou Reed or both?'

Neither, thank you.

Posted on 26 Apr 2014 13:37:12 BDT
Love Grateful Dead; Love Garcia solo work - no surprises there!

As for Reed/Cale, I would have to plonk for Reed as my preference.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2014 13:35:08 BDT
Agree 100% Foe, hope you're sitting down when you read this ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2014 13:20:06 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
I liked Genesis up to Peter Gabriel leaving and I love his solo albums although I struggle with his 2nd. I liked Steve Hackett in early Genesis but his solo stuff is not to my taste. Having said that there are still some of his albums that I've never heard.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
hifi 111 3 minutes ago
best songs with male and female vocals : duets thats aren't sweetness or light..for example - 24 42 minutes ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 9246 1 hour ago
The dust has settled : its time for the definitive Brexit compilation playlist album collection : 54 3 hours ago
'Help! I'm a rock/pop star and I'm wearing a stupendously hideous (but amusing) outfit on my album cover.' 147 4 hours ago
Themes for Voting Threads 914 4 hours ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - 109 Votes - X or Z, the artist OR the title of the song must contain either the letter X or Z (or both letters) 21 4 hours ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6353 8 hours ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 2258 14 hours ago
FOWEY 2016 80 1 day ago
Funny business 24 1 day ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2149 1 day ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  26 Apr 2014
Latest post:  4 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions