Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > mp3 discussion forum

Directing to US site

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2012 23:36:05 BDT
Johnnydude84 says:
Hey,

Trying to use the new cloud player but every time I do it redirects to amazon.com and asks me for credit card details. Anyone know how to make the cloud player stay with my .co.uk account?

Posted on 18 Sep 2012 23:51:50 BDT
Sadly not. Have you signed up for Cloud Drive previously via the US site or an imported Kindle Fire?

I'm having the same problem and Amazon.co.uk customer service said my account is now tied to the US Cloud Drive and the only solution would be to make a new account. Not much help considering my MP3s and Kindle books were purchased on this one...

Anyone else have any ideas?

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 09:47:28 BDT
Irvinglord says:
I had the same problem. Amazon.co.uk MP3 Customer Service have told me this is now a known issue for a number of people and they're working on a resolution.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 09:55:43 BDT
Johnnydude84 says:
Ah they are both better responses than I got. The guy I spoke to did not even know that the Cloud player had been released in the UK.

Here's hoping I will be able to use this soon then!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 11:05:01 BDT
Have this problem too. None of my MP3s are on the US Cloud Player and it is completely empty (always has been). I wouldn't mind closing my US Cloud Account completely seeing as I've never used it and sign up to the UK one but am having a hard time finding a CS rep who understands what I mean!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 15:38:38 BDT
Rob Pearse says:
Same boat here. Both cloud drive and player redirect to the US site. It does say here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_mp3_gw_gen?nodeId=200274390 that "Any purchases you make on Amazon.co.uk will be added to your Cloud Player library on Amazon.com. If you try to access Cloud Player on Amazon.co.uk you will be automatically redirected to Cloud Player on Amazon.com."

Only other problem is that because you are on amazon.com the links to the store (and I'll bet the recommendations) will go through to the US store.

Sounds like they are sorting it out though, so I'll keep an eye on this. Just hope they are quicker than they are about enabling active content for kindles in the UK!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 15:44:41 BDT
J Marsh says:
Same problem here, and the amazon.com cloud player wouldn't accept my UK credit card. To get it to work, I put my city as United Kingdom, set my state as Ca and postal code as 90210... Unfortunately none of my older mp3 purchases are there, but my new ones from today are showing up.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 15:44:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 18:22:24 BDT
I'm with you on that chili. I finally got a detailed response from Amazon.com, who seem to be much quicker at replying than the UK team:

"Hello,
Please note that, at this time migration from one website to another is not supported. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
If you accept the Terms of Use on one website, you will not be able to transfer your account to another website. Currently you also cannot "close" your Cloud Player or Cloud Drive accounts on one marketplace and open in another.
You'll have to continue to use Cloud Player and Cloud Drive on Amazon.com.
Please note the following important points:
1. If you click on any of the Cloud Player or Cloud Drive links on Amazon.co.uk then you will be automatically redirected to Cloud Player or Cloud Drive on Amazon.com.
2. Any purchases made on Amazon.co.uk will automatically be added to your Cloud Player library on Amazon.com.*
3. If you click on any of the links on Cloud Player for the store or recommendations - you'll will be brought to the US MP3 store."

*Note that point 2 isn't true. None of my purchased MP3s are in my US Cloud Player. (CORRECTION: New purchases are showing)

Hopefully they're working on a fix for this, or I might have to cancel my Kindle Fire pre-order...

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 18:18:23 BDT
A Timms says:
Had this problem too when I made a purchase last night. Bought a mp3 album from Amazon.co.uk but can't download it since the Cloud Player redirects to the Amazon.com version, which doesn't show the purchase.

However, tried again just now and although it still redirects, my purchased album has showed up thereby allowing me to download it.

Fantastic, seems point 2 in that email is true..... just that there's a delay!

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 18:44:46 BDT
To their credit, Amazon.co.uk just called me to clear up a few things. Very impressed by the telephone call, much better than the email support I'd been getting: the customer service rep was clued up about the issue and very helpful. Maybe there's been a few complaints about this...

As others have said, newly purchased UK MP3s are indeed appearing on the US Cloud Player. Unfortunately past purchases aren't.

Apparently they're still looking into:
- Making the premium service available to UK users with a US Cloud Drive
- Whether it will affect the Kindle Fire which presumably needs to be linked as a device to either the UK or US sites.

I can't imagine there's not a fix in the works.

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 07:09:23 BDT
Johnnydude84 says:
Okay so something new to report from me.

This morning I tried to go to the cloud player.

Still re-directing to the US site but it no longer asks me for credit card details, which means I'm in!

Now what I want to know is if I up the subscription on the uk site, will it let me add the extra music or will it not realise because it's the US player? Or should I wait longer?

What do you think?

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 08:23:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Sep 2012 08:24:21 BDT
I can tell you this sort of thing is common to big organisations. Having worked in BT for the interrnet product development group in the mid to late 90's I can tell you that its easy to get caught out by over enthusiastic marketeers who shoot too early - then aim. Of course there will be an easy fix, just takes a week or two to get the correction process sorted so it doesn't make everything even worse short term. There will be a lot of meetings, and "I told you that would happen!" - "Well I don't have that in hard copy!" - "Well xxx knew" - "He's in the US this month..." kind of discussions before someone stops the blame bickering and gets it fixed.

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 10:24:38 BDT
Rob Pearse says:
As others have found new purchases make their way onto the amazon.com cloud player but previous purchases don't. The only other issue really is that I get asked for my amazon.com details (which are the same as my .co.uk details) every time I get re-directed.

Really though, like chili, I'd be quite happy if my US account was deleted leaving my UK account intact!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012 11:51:08 BDT
Which page/link are you viewing to add the subscription on the UK site, John? I've only seen these options within Cloud Player/Drive itself and it won't let me continue with my UK credit cards.

At this stage I'm just going to wait and see what sort of workaround/fix they come up with.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012 11:58:46 BDT
Johnnydude84 says:
My problem was slightly different. When I was redirected to the .com site it asked me for card details straight away, without even letting me use the cloud player.

As of this morning I can now access the cloud player without the card details. I have not yet tried to add card details into the subscription page. I imagine it won't work though because it's not a US card? Not sure though.

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 17:54:36 BDT
J. Perl says:
I think I'm just going to open a new account on the UK site so I can sign up there. I'm impatient, and I haven't bought that many MP3s on amazon before anyway.
If anyone from amazon is reading this - all I need to do is close or unlink my account to the US cloud player (which I only ever accessed because I thought I could subscribe - I then found out it wasn't yet available to me). I don't need anything complicated! (I optimistically hope the customer service rep might be able to unlink it for me, but no such luck).

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 18:05:02 BDT
Indeed, it looks like they can't just disable the Cloud portion of the Amazon account. I can only assume that they quickly pushed out the Cloud Player/Cloud Drive because they needed to have it up and running in the UK before the Kindle Fire launched and weren't able to figure out a solution to this. The FAQ does specifically state that migration is not working so they were no doubt aware that there were going to be problems for some people so hopefully they are working on it and migration will come soon. Until then, I will continue to bug them for an update every week :)

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 21:06:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Sep 2012 21:06:20 BDT
Antony says:
Sad, would love to buy a subscription but not until this mess is sorted out.

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 08:04:40 BDT
Gareth says:
I'm in the same situation where cloud drive and cloud player both go to the US site. I wanted to upgrade my cloud drive space but it won't let me as I'm in the UK. I was initially told that I'd need to create a new account but pointed out that I'd lose my old MP3's that I'd bought along with the Kindle books I've bought. I've also got a LoveFilm subscription which I log into using my Amazon details so that would have to change too.

The cs guy explained that the two clouds are different sets of servers so if they moved me across somehow I'd have to re-upload any data, music etc.

In the meantime I can't buy new Kindle books as they may be tied to my old account if I have to create a new one and I don't want two separate Amazon accounts in future.

It's all very frustrating...

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 09:54:48 BDT
J. Perl says:
I'm luckier - I'm not in quite so deep with them (I had only about 30 purchased mp3s). So I just created a new account just for cloud player because I obviously don't know when they're going to sort this out. My main challenge is now getting 60000 files uploaded. 58000 to go...

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 13:43:25 BDT
D Lister says:
Same issue here - I've been emailing back and forth simply wanting to delete my US cloud accounts and this is a concept that they just don't seem to understand. They just give variations on the stock reply of "it's not possible to migrate US content to UK accounts at this time". I don't want to migrate, I want to delete, kill, forget, but simply can't get this concept through to them. Apparently it's flat-out impossible to resolve.

I guess this is their punishment to those of us who used workarounds to get a cloud account before they were officially available in the UK, but it's silly. I'm sat here waiting to give them money for a premium account, and they won't accept it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 15:21:33 BDT
J. Perl says:
Just to give you a heads up: I'm only managing to upload about 50 tracks an hour. So once you get through and pay your cash, it's not exactly instantaneous !

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 17:14:41 BDT
D Lister says:
I'll probably just stick to Google Music. The rigidity of their admin interface in not allowing a simple account deletion has kinda make me lose confidence in the whole system. It's a shame that Google converts all the AAC files to MP3 though...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 17:17:39 BDT
J. Perl says:
Can you get google music in the uk?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 17:20:05 BDT
D Lister says:
Not officially, only through signing up for it with a proxy

Hopefully when they do make it official they won't have this silly irreversible .com/.co.uk split though... I'm a little more confident that Google know what they're doing :P
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the mp3 discussion forum (439 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  mp3 discussion forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  18 Sep 2012
Latest post:  18 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions