Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now
Customer Discussions > mp3 discussion forum

If i have an account with Amazon in uk and US why can't i but mp3 tunes from the US?...I can buy anything else from the Amazon US web site.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Posted on 16 Sep 2012 21:02:57 BDT
OK yep - what you could get away with. I was amazed when the internet first kicked off when I could buy CDs fromthe USa at a fraction of what we were paying here - pity this open market didn't last long.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2012 11:47:57 BDT
Brass Neck says:
It's not so much about 'whatever would be considered a fair price' but what they can GET AWAY WITH - the UK has always suffered in this regard whether it's cd or MP3 pricing, cars, dvd/blu-rays, Apple/Sony/Microsoft hardware products, etc. We seem to be seen as a price-skimming market where punters will shell out top dollar, especially early adopters of new products. Then there's the different levels of VAT/sales tax to take into account and the (usually negative) impact of exchange rates on goods imported from outside the EU (ie China!).

Posted on 16 Sep 2012 07:46:58 BDT
Its about distribution rights. Different countries different deal with the distribution people. You might well get around this by buying secondhand - but the ISBN number will have usually blocked the selling from international sales. I've had that myself where I've bought USA products and Amazon doesn't recognise the product in this region. Until everyone in the World is paid the same sort of hourly rate this thing is going to perpetuate - one praice in the USA - whatever would be considered a fair price - another in Algeria - whatever is considered fair there - and on across the whole World. It's the right of the seller to sell at whatever they want. And the right of a customer to say no thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2012 18:03:53 BDT
One World says:
Poetic Justice! I tried to buy some remixes from Amazon UK because they were not available here and got that same message! Same thing happened on Itunes, in that case the remixes were for an American band! That's BS!

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 18:11:43 BDT
Artanis7 says:
Its really down to copyright and to which countrys it applies too. If amazon have the licence for a song in the US it might not have the rights cleared for the UK. Copyright laws are a real pain.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 00:56:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2012 01:00:38 BDT
Franko says:
Try looking at strongvpn.com, I think it would overcome all of the above difficulties. They seem to be highly recommended.

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 03:26:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2012 03:33:12 BDT
Niccolo65 says:
Lot on to amazon dot com through a server in America. Use a VPN. Or alternatively, if you're in America and want to download songs from the UK, use a VPN to access a server in the UK.

This is also handy if you're abroad on holiday and want to catch up with the latest episode of Eastenders, or whatever. You can be in your hotel room abroad, log on to your VPN, choose a server in the UK, and you can stream your soaps just like you were back home.

At least, I've looked at a few of the VPN sites and that's what they say - they have customer reviews saying it all works, so I assume it does. Technically, it seems pretty straightforward. I haven't tried it out yet, but the next time I'm abroad and absolutely must keep up with Emmerdale ...

The point about no VAT being on American products, hence no mp3 downloads, might be valid if people couldn't buy anything whatsoever from America, but that's not the case. Obviously people can buy all sorts of things from amazon - and do. And it's not as if we're talking some kind of dodgy pirating here either; all people want to do is buy music from amazon, same as they buy anything else from amazon, and enjoy it. As someone else said, enjoyment for us, $$$ for them. A win-win situation.

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 16:18:20 BDT
James Byrne says:
Again, stupid and totally unnecessary 'rights' control -a major pain the internet age- is probably the culprit. And these owners complain that so many get stuff for free. Best solution is to use a proxy so it appears you are in the country you are trying to buy in.

Posted on 12 Aug 2012 07:32:40 BDT
Citizen7 says:
Hello. I live in the U.S. and have been trying to find the songs "Silence Summons You (Alternative Version)" and "Signs and Wonders (Alternate version)" by Animal Kingdom for forever. I finally found them here on Amazon UK. The geographical restrictions restrict me from buying TWO songs. I hate it. I'm a big fan of a band and the only place I can find these songs are here and I can't buy them. If there is anyone kind enough to please send these songs to me, I'd GREATLY appreciate. I have no problem paying for them. Please, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 15:38:43 BDT
This is because this is what the record labels enforce. They want to divide the world up into tiny markets that they can control. It doesn't matter if you use Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, it's the same deal - the catalogues are different in every country because that's the way the music companies want it.

Even with the European common market you generally can't buy downloads across borders.

I suggest you try 7digital or Qobuz or a company that doesn't geo-lock or takes PayPal.

You can also try to use a proxy account to disguise your location in order to buy downloads from services that look at your IP address rather than your credit card address.

Ultimately it's the media companies who are responsible. They whine about illegal downloads and then make it near impossible to buy legally.

Posted on 28 Jul 2012 14:27:34 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 12:47:35 BDT
Hawfinch says:
The downloads are probably cheaper on US Amazon because they don't include VAT - which Amazon US would have to add if they sold MP3s to UK customers (so there'd be no price advantage for us if they did so).

And by the way, there are lots of things (including most electronic items) which Amazon.com won't ship to the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012 20:49:20 BDT
berthafan says:
Hello Edward,
I agree suckatude..... it's a shame because some CD's I can only get from the US (and cheaper too!)...so it's both our losses...mine for the enjoyment and theirs for the lack of $.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012 20:44:44 BDT
berthafan says:
Hi BN,
I have the same account with both.....and alas i'm not he...(RB)....pity!!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2012 20:14:00 BDT
thats not answerin the question;;.......only availble in the us.....bull;;##it

Posted on 21 Jul 2012 18:43:36 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Jul 2012 18:44:03 BDT]

Posted on 21 Jul 2012 18:42:37 BDT
Copyrights and digital media, EH? suckatude.
May you have two accounts? two different emails for the US and UK Amazon? then there is the location of your bank.
I was tied to an American PayPal account and it was killing me after ebay took over, but I couldn't lose the reputation I had built up. every month I lost money with the exchange rate and my bank charging £1 per 'foreign transaction'.
My friends in the US cannot share most BBC stuff with me. Sometimes it is not Amazon, but the perceived location tracked by your ISP.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2012 13:21:57 BDT
Brass Neck says:
You could probably order MP3s off zon.com but you'd have to set up a bank account or credit card with a US mailing address - easy, if you're Richard Branson!

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 10:40:27 BDT
I ordered a cd from Amazon.com and got a one dollar credit. When i tried to use it i got this reply

We are sorry...

We could not process your order. The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently available only to US customers located in the United States.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Initial post: 15 Jul 2012 13:32:33 BDT
berthafan says:
US pm3 downloads
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the mp3 discussion forum (439 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  mp3 discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  15 Jul 2012
Latest post:  16 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions