Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

recommend your books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jul 2012, 20:30:52 BST
sammylee says:
Im looking for some new stuff to read
I love ready crime thrillers, romance fiction and vampire stories, even easy reads for the beach.
Any one welcome to leave links or descriptions

Posted on 1 Jul 2012, 22:03:20 BST
K. Vadaszffy says:
Hi Sammy,

My novel, The Missing, has an average of 4.5 on Amazon's reviews (45 reviews in total). It's a fast-paced crime thriller and has been in the top 10 paid-for charts, is currently in the top 20 and has great reviews from authors Glenn Cooper, Scott Phillips, Matt Hilton, CM Palov, Elly Griffiths, Quentin Bates, Thomas Perry, James Becker and Patrick Lennon, all wonderful crime writers.

The Missing

If you check it out, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Best wishes,
Karl

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 08:28:12 BST
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2013, 09:54:34 GMT
For The Love Of Honey (Simon Grant Mysteries)

#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > British Detectives

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 16:55:16 BST
Gareth says:
After spending a lifetime working in the animation industry as an animator and animation director, I recently ventured into the world of self-publishing with a series of books I wrote originally as children's films. The books are called " The Jumbalees in..."(various titles) I also illustrated them myself and with technical help from my son have converted them to eBooks. The books are designed for ages 5 to 11, but some adults have enjoyed them too. Marketing will be the next and probably the most formidable task. There are thousands of children's books out there and any suggestions/ideas would be very welcome. I have a website but this needs updating to include the last two books ," The Jumbalees in the Friendly Alien," and "The Jumbalees in the the Smelly Pirates." The website is www.jumbalees.com

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 20:08:26 BST
Hi! My book genre is British Gang 'Crime' (Unforgiven). It is a hard hitting novel, so I wouldn't put it in the category of 'light reading' or 'romance' but if you want to try a crime novel that punches you in the face then it could be your cuppa tea! Some reviews below to help you decide whether you want to give it a go...

''Fantastic read could not put it down. If you like Martina Cole, her earlier books you will love this. Next book PLEASE.''
"Caught my attention on page one and kept it all the way through with suspense and unexpected twists and turns. Read far too late into the night wanting to know what was going to happen next!!! Waiting for the next one!"
"What a book!! A great read from start to finish, can't wait for the next one, i'll be keeping my eye out!! Well done,"
"ust finished your book really disappointed... that it came to an end. I wouldn't like to meet the main character on a dark night or would I Well done you will look forward to your next book .?"

I also recommend;
The Family - British Gang Crime
Before I Go To Sleep - Thriller
You've probably already read it, but...Dracula: A Mystery Story

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 20:33:29 BST
I. Black says:
My 3 novels are all priced at £1.53 on Kindle.
Remember - all my novels are also available in paperback - so you can download a sample and then decide!
If you like novels about families and 'roots' this one may be just right for you.
Darshan: a Journey - a `who do you think you are' novel, that is currently being used as an English Literature Baccalaureate book in France .
Set mainly in Oxford and India: Sara, a young Indian student in Oxford sets out to find her estranged Welsh father - and to escape the prospect of an arranged marriage back in India. The result of her quest, which takes her through Europe, America and India, is not quite what she expected as she gets involved with a dangerous religious cult, a series of romantic catastrophes and discovers disturbing facts about her family history.
'An involving story, beautifully told.' Oxford Times Literary section

A gripping adventure and a poignant romance set in exotic lands.
The Moon's Complexion: A romantic thriller set in Surrey, India and Sri Lanka. Hannah, an English journalist, is fleeing from a stalker. She meets Ashok, an Indian doctor. Together they set out to trap the stalker. They fall in love but their romance is hampered by issues involving their overlapping past, as well as some cultural misunderstandings. It's also available in paperback.
`I challenge anyone to put this book down' Editor, London Student Newspaper

Even if fantasy is not your thing, this novel will surprise you. - try a sample and see!
Noontide Owls A Fantasy for young and old: The Conquering Army of Shoog the Awesome has marched out of Ambamar after 100 years. But freedom does not bring peace. It is left to 14-year-old Maara and the two noble Trumpeters to try and stop the city from destroying itself and all the marvellous beings that inhabit its world.
Pen and ink drawings throughout.
I could not put it down... I really cannot wait for my son to read it. It was fantastic.
Anjali Mittal, children's book author

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 20:39:20 BST
Well, if you like Vampires, how about giving a book with a teenage demoness a go?

Asha

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 22:17:34 BST
Roger Weston says:
Action-Thrillers suitable for mature YA on up.

Recent customer review:
Usually read James Patterson, needed something to read waiting for his new book. Downloaded this after reading other reviews & possible one of my best reads of late. Fast moving, interesting...Struggled to put it down...
The Golden Catch

Recent customer review:
What a fun read! Action packed and compelling the story of Chuck Brandt grabs you on the first page and doesn't let you go until the last. I just had to keep reading...Chuck, a world class assassin, has changed his ways only to find himself duped by his employer. He must rely on himself and the skills from his past to overcome the betrayal. And does he ever!...Be prepared for a great adventure.
The Recruiter

Customer comment:
"Meg Coles was a teacher married to a wonderful husband for 10 years and never really knew who he was until his murder. What she goes through to stay alive is thrilling and unreal. Loved it!! Will be looking for a lot more of Roger Weston's books."
The Assassin's Wife

Posted on 2 Jul 2012, 22:48:02 BST
Hi Sammylee,

I'm a beach read. Well, not me, the books, but you know what I mean.The Mystic Accountants (The Banned Underground) That's one one of the reviews, anyway. As well as all those 5 stars.

Comic fantasy for the rock generation, and our kids.

Another day, another gig, but this time the feedback has smashed the Throne of The King Under The Mountain, and The Banned must replace it on pain of, well, pain. But the dark Lord has other plans, including his revenge on them. Can Dai, the bass playing Bass drinking dragon help The Banned avoid jailhouse Rock?

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 03:21:57 BST
You might try some historical fiction from a new American author, Michael Winston. All are available in paperback as well as Kindle format.

The Jonathan Kinkaid Series is a meticulously researched, nautical fiction, action-adventure trilogy. Each book is based on actual events; each takes us to a different theatre of the war at sea during the American Revolution.

In the first book "Independent Action," our hero finds himself serving as First Lieutenant aboard the American frigate Randolph of 32 guns, blockaded in the port of Philadelphia during the winter of 1776-77. Tasked with orders to undertake "independent action" in the frigid waters of the North Atlantic against a mighty British convoy, she manages to elude enemy warships long enough to transform her crew-from the crusty boatswain O'Toole to the teenage midshipman Billy Weatherby-into an effective fighting force. The "Lucky Randy" takes a number of important prizes until her luck runs out in a surprise meeting with His Majesty's Royal Navy frigate Gaspee. After suffering untold horror aboard a rotting prison hulk in New York harbor, our heroes make a bold escape to become involved in the daring Sag Harbor raid and then fight a climactic sea battle against a superior force before winning their right to return home.
A story of the fury of the sea and the waste of war, of brave but fallible men and boys who find themselves in dire straights, of history and the building of character, "Independent Action" is fast-paced, old-fashioned, high seas adventure at it's very best. Cover art by the author.
Independent Action: 1

Mr. Winston also wrote the epic adventure "Sunset of the Iroquois" about the downfall of the once powerful Iroquois Confederacy.
Sunset of the Iroquois

Mr. Winston's latest project is a trilogy about a squad of American soldiers in the famous First Infantry Division. The first book "Baptism of Fire" tells about the North African campaign as the First Division fights Rommel's Africa Corps.
Baptism of Fire (Sgt. Smith World War II Trilogy)

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 09:14:08 BST
THE FAT BAG stuck between a rock cake & a hard plaice is a humorous take on the dieter's struggle. And everybody likes a good laugh, right?

So in this book are tales/chronicles/diary entries, all true although maybe in some cases slightly exaggerated according to how much humour I could squeeze from any given situation...but true none-the-less.

I've never seen a book about dieting that didn't give advice. In fact, I've never seen a dieting book that is written from the prospective of the struggling dieter, so I wrote one myself.

All the experts say "eat less and move more. Obviously it's not rocket science but it might as well be for those of us in "the real world" who struggle with our weight every day and for whom poor will-power (and other factors) take over and smash our personal resolve to shreds when battling the bulge.

I do hope you enjoy the down-to-earth, telling-it-like-it-is-with-no-frills entries and I especially hope you will laugh along to a issue that I know many can relate to.

Kind regards. Pearl Barley

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 10:02:18 BST
The Dancing Boy

When Tom Gillet returned to Afghanistan to search for the boy who had saved his life, little did he know what he was getting into. Beyond the corridors of official power, he entered into a maze of corruption and child sex slavery on a scale so vast that it reached the lives of his family back in the UK.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 12:10:46 BST
Cake Queen says:
Hi Sammy,
My book Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes might fit the bill for your holiday reading. It's romantic fiction with edge, a great beach read and (I'm told) it will make you laugh and cry. It has had great reviews (Closer, Take a Break, Bella) and is 4.5 stars on Amazon. A story of love, loss, calories and cake ....no vampires tho! x

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 14:01:47 BST
Craig says:
Bound to Sarah #1 best seller. Historical fiction. £1.99.
The hand of fate that had torn their lives apart is now set to make their worlds collide once again.
Bound to Sarah is a heart wrenching journey set in the early part of the 19th century that tells of the terrible circumstances of which a young family are torn apart. The lives of the protagonists are turned upside down when Patrick Roche finds himself on board a convict ship being transported to the ends of the earth. Sentenced for the term of his natural life to Van Dieman's land (Tasmania), in the New Colonies of New South Wales (Australia) all hope of ever seeing his wife and child again are lost.
The journey onboard the convict ship was a desperate one under a strict regime and Pat's spirit is once again about to be put to the test. On his arrival to the New Colonies, he is then transferred to the most notorious Penal settlement in the British Empire, Sarah Island.
Events are also unfolding in the outside world and unknown to Pat, his wife Sarah and their child Sam have also suffered the consequences of his alleged actions.
The thoroughly researched history enhances the story for the characters who weave their way through the pages of this book, creating a plot that sets you on a rollercoaster of emotions and the results are intertwined with deceit, retribution, murder, tragedy and enduring love.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 16:17:05 BST
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2012, 16:18:08 BST
Here's some free stuff. (If you can be bothered to copy and paste it onto google :-)

https://sites.google.com/site/whittingtonbooks1

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 16:53:08 BST
M Stanley says:
Hi Sammylee,

I'm happy to recommend a couple of my books that are available on Kindle. Both are crime thrillers for £1.99 each.

The Gamblers is a fast-paced, twisty read. It starts at breakneck speed, ends with a big bang and packs in enough incident and tension along the way to keep even the most jaded crime fiction readers biting their fingernails! The plot revolves around the build up, execution and aftermath of a double heist that involves a lot of drug money. It is a gritty urban thriller that will keep you on edge every step of the way. Fans of Elmore Leonard, George Pelecanos and Jim Thompson will find it's right up their street.

"THE GAMBLERS is a sprawling, complicated novel with lots of intriguing characters, a great sense of humor, and a beautifully constructed sense of impending doom. The large cast are all tied together in really clever ways that you wouldn't suspect, and as each of their personal sagas play out, and wind closer together, you're left slightly amazed that Stanley is able to pull it off. It's a very well-structured novel, but Stanley's real strength is the depth and believability of his characters."

Heath Lowrance - author of 'The Bastard Hand' and 'Dig Ten Graves'

The Hunters (The Stanton brothers series) is another exciting fast-paced crime thriller. Two criminal brothers are asked to steal a small fortune in untaxed money from a local car dealer by his ex-wife. Once the plan is in place they think it's going to be easy, a sure thing. But when the robbery goes wrong they are left scouring the Teesside underworld in a race against the clock to get back what was taken from them and find the man who betrayed them, which leads them towards a final bloody showdown.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 19:09:15 BST
Lee Emerick says:
The Zombie Apocalypse Contains both Book 1 & 2
20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse Book 1
Harriette Madyson is the last woman alive. Twenty years ago her world came to an end when a zombie plague engulfed the population of Earth. At the tender age of seven she found herself in a nightmarish situation where the dead literally returned to life. Left with little to use and nowhere to hide Harri now finds herself stalked across the frozen desolate landscape of North America pursued by the former love of her life. All that she has to keep her going is the hope that she can make it home to die in peace.
Survival After The Zombie Apocalypse Book 2
Konnor Roland picks up from where Harriett Madyson left off in the next installment of the Zombie Apocalypse series.
In the last bastion of the old world, Konnor finds humanity's future threatened again, as the machinery of the past they have grown reliant on breaks down.
With little choice, Konnor must enter an old military underground bunker full of danger and death to repair a water purifier before mass panic ensues above ground, bringing an end to the last survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Super Nova - Books 1 & 2 Both Super Nova books available as one volume!
Super Nova
Set over 100 years in the future, Commander Jack Emerick finds him self in a difficult situation. His team have been tasked with securing a disabled military facility in a far flung uninhabited area of space. However when they get there they find something far more sinister than a mutinous crew or terrorist activity that threatens the future survival of all mankind.
Mechanical Jihad (Super Nova) Sequel to Super Nova
Jack and Cantrell return to find themselves in troubling times. Yet again the Mechanicals are plotting against humanity only this time their plans come to fruition. This latest tale in the Super Nova series finds humanity on the brink of extinction as they fight for their very right to survive. Live and let live is something that the Mechanicals do not understand.

Mind of a Killer
What would you do, if as a child you witnessed brutal murders in your dreams?
The media describe you as psychic; the medical profession believe you are insane!
Your parents take their own lives as they struggle to live with your strange gifts.
Do you break down; mentally crack under the strain of the horrific visions and media attention? Or do you put your bizarre gift to good use and catch those responsible for their crimes?
Ian Rivers was that child. Now he is out to catch whoever is responsible.

Extinction Theory
Sydney Trent, a mass extinction theorist unfortunately finds one of his darkest theories becoming reality as humanity faces it own possible extinction. In a race against time Sydney must face and fight his own demons as the dead literally take to their feet. A spin on the popular zombie genre this book goes against the grain by exploring what else could create and drive a zombie as well as a nightmare zombie outbreak!

Posted on 3 Jul 2012, 21:16:13 BST
I've Been Deader

A near perfect blend of horror and comedy says the author. (No, it's not me).

Posted on 6 Jul 2012, 12:50:12 BST
This book isn't mine but I came across it and it's an absolutely wonderful read, albeit poignant and heart-breaking. But it's not of the 'poor-me' variety, it's far more uplifting than that, although I still needed a Kleenex just to get through the blurb.

Why Whisper?: A Memoir by Joanne Mazzotta
After my thirty-two-year-old son Danny committed suicide, I found no book, person, or god that could rescue me from the black hole of this unfamiliar territory. I began to journal my anguish as a way to understand his decision. This journal became more than a collection of chronicles about a life and death. It became a clear reflection of the way love could deliver me from a kind of hell I never imagined.

To those who have been faced with grief for the loss of a loved one, I hope these words will show you that you are not alone. And for those who have not, at the risk of opposing the peripheral limitations of our culture and the general public's opinions of suicide, may my words enlighten you. Mostly, I want to tell those individuals who believe their lives are not valuable that they are mistaken.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012, 07:05:25 BST
jillipen says:
A good read, would happily recommend this one.

Posted on 7 Jul 2012, 13:34:42 BST
Gaspar The Thief

Gaspar The Thief is a new humorous fantasy adventure by British author, David A. Lindsay.

The Kindle version at just £1.99 offers a saving of £7.00 compared to the print version. There's no reviews on Amazon yet, but it's received three 4 Star reviews at Goodreads, plus it's neither a short story nor a novella - it's a full-length novel of 126,000 words. Here's the blurb:

Follow the adventures of Gaspar, a freelance thief who stubbornly refuses to swear fealty to the Thieves' Guild.

Cursed with a special affinity for calamity and mishap, and a talent for snatching defeat from the brink of victory, our hero blunders from one misfortune to the next, yet somehow always manages to survive to tell the tale.

Accompanied by his long-suffering companions - Hubris, a spellbroker who refuses to pay his dues to Wizards' Hall, and Marna, a feisty thiefess with a quick tongue and a quicker temper - Gaspar stumbles from adversity into catastrophe. From a funeral ship to a poisonous seductress, from a goblin army laying siege to an ancient border fortress to a mischievous wood-wight, there's no end to the trouble he can get into!

Told with a mixture of seriousness and humour, this is an exciting romp based in a fantasy world where anything can, and usually does, happen!

Please visit the new website at www.highland.co.uk.

Posted on 7 Jul 2012, 13:56:18 BST
Bill Todd says:
When the giant cargo ship Margherita sheds her containers in a Channel storm ex-para Danny Lancaster and his mates go beachcombing.
On a storm-lashed beach it's like Aladdin's cave. The stuff is going to get ruined so, what the hell, finders-keepers. Insurance pays out, no one dies.
But among the mangled containers they find more than they bargained for. The discovery draws Danny to a network of gangsters and dodgy politicians. A lap dancer goes missing, Ambrose and Everard are plotting and crime boss Big Eddie Archer wants a word,
And once Danny gets angry, that's it. His training is all about speed and ferocity behind enemy lines. The fuse is lit for a bonfire night confrontation.
That's when the real storm breaks.
People start to die.

"Witty, gory, sexy, it's a fantastic read" - The Sun

The Wreck Of The Margherita (Danny Lancaster Investigates)

www.billtodd.co.uk

Posted on 8 Jul 2012, 12:39:03 BST
Jed Fisher says:
A little paranormal erotica with romace and what-not as well.
Mildred
Not suitable for children or teens.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012, 15:20:13 BST
Mark Steele says:
I would like to recommend my book about the adventures of six lighthouse men, as told in rhyming verse. It is good for reading aloud as well with a group of friends or relatives.The Lighthouse Bubble

Posted on 8 Jul 2012, 17:42:23 BST
[Deleted by the author on 30 Mar 2013, 18:41:55 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 126 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  438
Total posts:  3131
Initial post:  1 Jul 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 33 customers