Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Martine McCutcheon Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Meet Our Authors (Not Literally)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 940 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:21:10 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012, 09:22:58 BST
I think there's no danger of me going to watch HP, unless someone makes me to.

By the way, re the line 'without vampires, etc.' is a line I wanted to delete a while ago, but I had difficulties to change in one of my books. Good you remind me. I wanted to take it out. The thing is that people expect vampires as soon as they read paranormal romance, though it says clearly in the blurb what it's about.

I'll go and check if I can delete it, then I will. Thanks for reminding me.

ETA: sod it. It's on the shorts as well and that one I can't edit myself. It took a year to get it changed by Amazon, the first time round.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:25:10 BST
Jim Webster says:
Acronym overload here.
I've seen HP used as an abbreviation for Harry Potter but also for H P Lovecraft and as Stella doesn't seem to have read either I'm guessing you're talking about Potter.
If so, I've read all the Harry Potter books, because my daughter was the right age and they came out at one a year at just the right times for her.
But while I think they are good stories, and have a great deal of respect for the author who I feel deserves her success, I'm not sure I'd say they were a creative breakthrough
Personally I think she builds on a foundation of the Jennings books, but also Bunter (who like Potter, gets up to an awful lot outside school) and the other 'school' stories.
Where I think she does well is that she takes a 'public school' story and makes it relevent to modern readers, and in doing so binds it in with a fascinating 'alternative England' which sits in parallel with our own. (the Narnia stories have elements of this with rings and wardrobes etc) I don't think the Potter stories are breakthroughs, I think JK has managed to build well on the foundations she found.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:28:24 BST
Jim Webster says:
Jacob?
I think that Cullen is something to do with Twilight but having spent my entire life working with dogs, I'm unlikely to take werewolves seriously am I :-)
As I said, if you want another take on wizards, try Lovecraft, but as Will says, you'll find the language a culture shock.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:38:01 BST
Jim Webster says:
I think that we are culturally in a very different place to the Rhode Island of the 1930s. One of the phrases Lovecraft uses about his horrors is that they are 'Blasphemous' and creatures that should not be. His 'history' of the world was in effect a mockery of Christian Eschatology and his readers would have had the joy of seeing the very foundations of their world view challenged.
On the other hand, read in a modern context, where most people couldn't spell eschatological and even if they could would assume it was a skin disease, the effect is somewhat reduced. :-))

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:38:09 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012, 09:38:20 BST
If that's an archaic language, which you find a lot in wizard books or with demons, I'd rather stay clear. Hate archaic language. Hence my hate for historical novels.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:40:35 BST
Jim Webster says:
It's not archaic language, it's properly written formal English. A quick glance at

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecaseofcharlesdexterward.htm

will show you the sort of language it is

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:57:19 BST
Like!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 09:59:13 BST
Sandra Giles says:
I've yet to read a series that can make so many seemingly small factors from the first books mean so much in later books. It's a breakthrough that she was able to get so many children and adults alike to start reading again, and I feel she way surpasses the talents of C.S.Lewis. The Narnia novels are a great creation, but the depth just isn't there. I think JK made some mistakes, and I know that it's not completely original of her to create the world that she did, but the fact that she was able to create so many terms and items for the sake of her books alone made them so much more then most other novels. I for one have never found anything that even comes close to these books.
Stella, in spite of myself I would have to say that I'm on team Edward for the novels and team Jacob for the films. Which alone shows just how poorly films recreate characters.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 10:04:57 BST
Not in Twilight. But then they focused mainly on Bella. Meyer said she gave them Midnight Sun to read, which was, by the way, even better than Twilight herself. POV Edward. And the tiny details came across on screen.

I don't know what it is about Patterson, he has played quite a few different roles, even Salvatore Dali, but somehow, he's got a lot of himself in it. Like Sam Worthington, which I adore, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 10:15:58 BST
Sandra Giles says:
Wasn't Midnight Sun the novel that she refused to publish after it leaked over the internet? I remember reading something vague about it ages ago..
If the films had been like the books then I never would've watched New Moon, but as a film it was actually alright. Speaking of which, how did you find Prometheus?
Patterson is a surprisingly good actor (I say surprisingly because of HP, where he is alongside some terrible 'talents'). I'm seeing the latest film he's in today, and loved him in Water For Elephants. As for his partner, she is dreadful. She definitely did not bring Bella to life. Did you ever see Vampires Suck? Bad film, but I think the lead in that would have been better for the Twilight films.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 10:31:32 BST
Yes it was the book that leaked. Shame, I liked it even better. Liked NM more than the book, too. It was a bit too much teenage angst.

Patterson is versatile, as is Worthington. I like that. Haven't seen Vampires suck, no.

I found Prometheus all right. Didn't blink once, didn't close my eyes, watched it all. Was okay on the gory parts. A bit ridiculous that as a child Shaw sounds perfectly British and as an adult, she doesn't. And after she came out of the machine, how was she able to run and fight and whatnot? Rather unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 10:36:02 BST
Sandra Giles says:
Her accent was pretty bizarre. I couldn't place it, and in the end just decided that in the future there will be mixed accents and that is what she was going for. The whole film seemed pretty unbelievable, but that can only be a good thing! Is it wrong that my favourite character was the robot?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 10:43:32 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012, 10:47:34 BST
No, I had a crush on Data. :-) Saw Fassbender in Shame. Good actor and played well in Prometheus, too. Didn't know anyone else of the crew. Eh, apart from Theron. Love that woman. Not only is she stunningly beautiful, but also a great actress, despite her not coming across as well as normally. All she had to do was play the hard-nosed person.

Different accents are good. Loved that. Plenty of British accents. Thumbs up.

That wormy ship looked a bit like a massive alien has made a large dump in space. lol

Oh and the whole film reminded me a hell of a lot of Alien.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:02:58 BST
Sandra Giles says:
I didn't actually know anyone to be honest! Well she was certainly good at making me dislike her, so I guess it was a job well done! I'm always happy to find someone British in a cast, or at least someone pretending to be. It's just nice to see, I guess.

Lol, I'm sure that's the look they were aiming for! I've never seen Alien. Most of the films I've seen were out this year thanks to my cineworld card, which means that the sequels of huge productions are lost on me. Like Spiderman, which comes out soon. I'll see it, but I won't know who anyone is. Then again it's easy enough to pick up on it all, just like with Mission Impossible and Sherlock Holmes. Both of which I really liked.
Anyway, I best be off. Whenever I come on here for a few minutes I end up staying for ages lol. I blame you ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:05:10 BST
Jim Webster says:
Enid Blyton got children reading.
The librarians and the BBC hated her :-)
One problem in the UK is that, frankly, a lot of the books boys have been expected to read at school weren't books that boys who were enthusiastic readers would have picked up!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:05:37 BST
Jim Webster says:
His wizards are very different

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 11:06:41 BST
To be honest, I like anything that contains space ships. I remember that I wanted to work on the Enterprise. If someone would tell me I could go into space now and live on a space ship, encounter new worlds, hell, I'd be off in a jiffy. Provided I could take the iguana with me. ;-)

Want to see MIB III and haven't seen Mission Impossible. Only the first, I think. Must do that.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:10:51 BST
Good to hear. Unfortunately, they have to wait. I've got a massive TBR list. :-)

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 11:21:06 BST
Saw MIB III the other night not sure what happened to Tommy Lee Jones he looked computer generated like he was a dead John Candy finnishing his last film.
You'll be pleased to know I wont give away the ending, because I managed to fall asleep and missed it ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:22:24 BST
LOL oh, how fortunate for those of us who still want to watch it.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 11:27:29 BST
I will try and watch it again when less tired, i liked the first two, although the first one was the best!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 11:37:00 BST
I laughed really hard at the scene in the first: when he has to fill out this form and pulls this table to him, scratching loudly over the floor. It's just hilarious.

Did you see the outtakes? When I'm in a bad mood, I watch it and always cry with laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=353vlb3VfAU

When it comes to 'automatic pilot'...

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 11:37:52 BST
Sandra Giles says:
MIB III is well-worth watching. It's been so long since I've seen the others that I can't compare, but it was a good film. The more I see films the more I notice that the trailers often have something that is missed out of the film. With MIB it's the graffiti guy, which is nowhere to be seen in the actual film. I don't know why they keep showing things that never actually crop up. False advertising at its best.
Alright, I'm really going this time. I did leave, but came back. Rookie mistake.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012, 11:41:34 BST
I'll go, too. Laters.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012, 23:29:38 BST
Sandra Giles says:
I've yet to meet a boy who is an enthusiastic reader. When I was in school it was mostly girls who really read. Most of the boys hated it, and those who didn't often were the types to choose non-fiction. They liked to tax their brains. Nowadays the only boys I know are my two nephews, and they wouldn't know how to work a book. Not that they can't read. They just prefer computer games.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Short Stories and Anthologies 1893 3 hours ago
THRILLER genre titles 2210 3 hours ago
Indie Authors Self Promo 4850 18 hours ago
Good thrillers? 898 18 hours ago
Thrillers on Kindle 2 1203 18 hours ago
I do want to read your book 1849 20 hours ago
something to read on the commute? 775 20 hours ago
Books with 5 star reviews 1631 20 hours ago
List your **FREE** Kindle books here 705 20 hours ago
List Your Kindle Books Here.... 723 20 hours ago
New British Authors - Promote your work here! 3889 20 hours ago
Fiction and Nonfiction Books 849 20 hours ago

This discussion

Participants:  37
Total posts:  940
Initial post:  30 May 2012
Latest post:  16 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers