Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Learn more Fitbit
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

How to watch UK TV on a Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Dec 2012, 16:32:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Dec 2012, 16:33:23 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Trying to watch 4OD, or ITV catch up, all you get on the Fire is a little lego brick. You need a Flash Player which no longer exists. :(

BUT!

One clever poster has given instructions WHICH WORK! So I am repeating them here for the rest of you to get Catch-up TV (which is basically live TV).

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 18:39:14 GMT
T. Franklin says:
I have overcome the problem of getting TVcatchup.

1. Download and install the Dolphin Browser

2. Download and install the Flash player for ics (NOT the standard Flash player, as that gives the blue brick problem) I located it at http://www.mediafire.com/?33ew28ztmlar44e

3. To download the TVcatchup App and NOT have to use the GooglePlay site (That Kindles cannot use), visit this link on the TVcatchup site for a beta version of the app that they are developing

http://ipad.tvcatchup.com/android-download.html

It works really well on a stock standard Kindle with no need for rooting etc
:-)

Indeed it does work, T Franklin - I have a choice of a score of TV programmes which work perfectly!

I am now going to see if I can get ITV catch-up on my Fire, since I have a Flash player installed.

Watch this space!

(And bump this thread for others to see).

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 17:31:08 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Yes!

That flash player now works with ITV player AND 4OD . Yay!

http://www.asianfonesforum.com/A818_A820_recomended/ is where I got the ITV player. If you try to get it via Google Play it doesn't,t install.

Perfect! I now have both streaming TV and catch up. I have the BBC iPlayer as well as ITV player.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 17:43:43 GMT
katy says:
where do you get the dolphin download from?

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 17:56:17 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Oh yes, sorry, you can't get that via Google Play either or it won't install.

Daft Amazon policy that!

In your Silk browser, find and install the Goodereader App store. Then open the Goodereader App.

Search for Dolphin and download and install the Dolphin HE version.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 17:59:13 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
HD.

Dolphin HD.

FLIPPING predictive text!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012, 18:04:54 GMT
Denis Powell says:
BiblioBibliofilia, for the Google Play Store to work on the Fire Amazon would have to pay Google a license fee. As they sell the Fire at cost they want you to buy Apps from them. If Amazon were to allow Play to be used they'd have to charge more for the device so what you'd gain in one way you might lose in another.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 18:18:09 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Fair enough!

But above is how to get round that to get the ITV player.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 18:31:32 GMT
katy says:
im struggling to follow your advice here! i have opened silk, gone to goodereader app store but how to you install the store?? ive searched for the dolphin hd on the goodereader app and it doesnt find it! :( :(

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 18:32:56 GMT
katy says:
strike that, ive found out how to lownload it, now once its downloaded where will i find it? in my apps? cloud?? LOl!! Nightmare this is!

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 18:38:59 GMT
katy says:
shocked at how long the pages take to load, still waiting!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012, 18:40:58 GMT
Denis Powell says:
If you've installed any app you'll find it in the apps tab. Please use the "Reply to this Post" option as it sometimes becomes difficult to know which post you're referring to.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 18:41:59 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
To install things that you haven't got via Amazon, you have to download them and then install them.

You download them on whatever site it is, then find Downloads. Please don't ask me where - it tends to be on some menu somewhere. :) Try every menu you can on Home. If it has a More, try the More.

Then click on the download and click on install. Once you have installed Goodereader, you find it in apps. Ditto for Dolphin. Ditto for the ITV Player. But Flash isn't anywhere once you have installed it, I mean you can't see it in Apps as it isn't an App. It just sort of works in the background. You notice my technical vocabulary here. :)

Katy - did you actually install the goodereader store? And did you download the HD version of Dolphin?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012, 21:02:44 GMT
katy says:
I couldn't make it download either! It just went to a white screen and stayed there. Will try again tomorrow! Really appreciate your help! :-)

Posted on 25 Dec 2012, 21:05:22 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Worked perfectly for me, Katy!

Posted on 26 Dec 2012, 16:15:25 GMT
katy says:
you will be so proud of me! I have managed to do it! only question, is there a way of watching programmes from the day before on catch up tv?

Posted on 26 Dec 2012, 16:25:18 GMT
Mort says:
Thanks got the Flash sorted eventually. Has it now on the app site as Flash ics.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012, 16:38:05 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
I don't think you can watch earlier programmes on catchuptv, Katy.

But you can do that on:

* BBC iPlayer - download BBC iPlayer and BBC mediaplayer from the Amazon App store
* 4oD - just use Dolphin and now you've got the flash, you can get 4oD via the Dolphin web access.
* ITV catch up. You need to get ITV player, to watch last week's programmes or whatever it is that you missed. If you try on the ITV website it just directs you to Google Play, which you cannot use. So, again from your Dolphin browser, try this instead:

http://www.asianfonesforum.com/A818_A820_recomended/

Yes, the spelling is wrong, but copy and paste that into your Dolphin browser, then download it and install it.

Good luck Katy!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012, 17:19:15 GMT
katy says:
you are an angel! i managed to get it all donwloaded and its working! yay!! do you by any chance know of a decent antivirus i can downlad to the kindle fire hd? i searched for av on it but it didnt find it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012, 18:50:34 GMT
katy says:
Hi, can i just ask, after all this ive done have i 'rooted' my kindle? i dont understand the term but think its linked somehow??

Posted on 26 Dec 2012, 19:28:09 GMT
sovereign41 says:
thank you for the tv catch up link.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012, 20:18:05 GMT
Ms K. Dare says:
Please help....I'm having trouble downloading the goodereader app. I open in silk but can't find dolphin browser :-(

Posted on 26 Dec 2012, 23:56:54 GMT
Dan Koester says:
Advice please.
I have installed Dolphin no problems, found it here.
http://dl.apktops.com/app/201206/Dol...r_HD_8.5.1.apk

(Had no idea what or how to get Goodreader.) Now I'm getting an error code for the Flash player for ics install; "There is a problem parsing the package." I've tried to install using the Dolphin twice. Any Advice?

If I try the Adobe Flash Player would that work? (I found this information for the Kindle Fire HD, so I'm not sure.)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1205546&d=134...

To be clear this thread is for the original Kindle Fire, NOT the HD?

Trying to put Flash on the original Kindle Fire, I'm in the USA hopefully that should make no difference.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2012, 09:20:07 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Dan, why not ask the question in the US forum. There were millions sold in the US but very few here in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013, 17:07:29 GMT
hi i have managed to install the itv app and tv catch up app .. i can watch channel four via web searching the dolphin browser ... channel five or demand 5 i still cant watch keeps saying cant play on this mobile device or something like that ... arh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all youre advice has been brilliant thank you so much ................. if you have any advice on channel five i would be really chuffed .....
thanks

Posted on 3 Jan 2013, 17:43:59 GMT
Bibilofilia says:
Sorry, Miss M. L. but I have no suggestions. I am on my Fire now, and have just watched 5 minutes of 5 to check that it's OK, and it's working fine for me.

Could be a temporary glitch at their end?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
428 18 Jul 2017
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
612 18 Jul 2017
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
312 2 Mar 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
144 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
195 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
101 14 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
138 22 Jun 2017
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
707 18 Feb 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  25 Dec 2012
Latest post:  24 May 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers