Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can you share books between two kindles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jun 2012, 10:04:47 BST
grantiss says:
I know this question has been asked on the forum before but I cant seem to find it, me and my fiancee are wanting to read the same series of books and we are wondering could one of us buy them and we can share them? (she could send it to me once shes doene with one of them or vice versa, it just seems a bit pointless us both buying them)

Posted on 20 Jun 2012, 10:17:40 BST
Last edited by the author on 20 Jun 2012, 10:18:40 BST
Yes if you register both kindles to the same account. You can register as many devices as you want to one account, iPads smart phones etc. Some publishers limit the amount of devices you can share a book to - 6 is the limit, but in your case that wouldn't matter. You can both read the same book at the same time. Just turn off the whisper sync so the book doesn't jump to where she last read it.
Some people set up a separate kindle account and fund it with amazon vouchers so they can still buy each other surprise presents - or in my case buy myself a surprise present!

Posted on 20 Jun 2012, 11:33:36 BST
grantiss says:
Great, thanks for that :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012, 09:47:08 BST
How do you turn off the whisper sync?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012, 08:05:04 BST
Hi,
My boyfriend and me have our kindles registered on different accounts. In order to register his kindle on my account does he need to deactivate his current registration? Does it mean his purchases will be lost?
The question is whether one kindle can be registered on more than one accounts and whether it is only once in a lifetime registration.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012, 08:14:03 BST
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2012, 08:15:38 BST
Suze says:
A kindle can only be registered to one account at a time. It's not a lifetime registration and you can have as many kindles as you like registered to the same account. If your boyfriend deregisters his kindle from his account and puts it on yours there is a chance he will lose his books when he turns on his wifi and the same if you deregister yours and put it on his account. If you haven't got tons of books, it might not be so bad, but if you have hundreds which you have paid for it can be quite annoying so it might be easier to swap kindles when you want to read each others books.

Edit. the books will always remain in the account they were purchased for, and can always be read from any kindles registered to that account.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012, 09:40:25 BST
@Mrs SD: I think you are meaning "how do I turn the Synch off so that if two or more people are reading the same book on different kindle devices but on the same Amazon account it does not automatically autosynch to the last page read".

From the Home page click Menu / click Settings / go forward to the 3rd page of settings and turn Annotations Backup OFF.

Hope this helps, or if I have got it totally wrong apologies :) CW.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012, 23:20:24 BST
Hi Suze,
Thanks for the clarification. I thought so, and suggested that he take my Kindle to read the book but he ended up buying his own version for Kindle. This is a bit annoying that there are no other ways of sharing with people, as in real life you can just swap books.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012, 07:28:56 BST
Suze says:
Cvetok, that's why they've done it. If a paperback is continually being passed to somebody else to read it will eventually fall apart and a new one will have to be bought, but this won't happen with a digital book and it could be passed about thousands of times without damage.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012, 10:39:50 BST
K. A. Newton says:
You could buy the cheapest Kindle in addition to your own kindle and register it to your account. He could then read the books bought on your account while you are.

While he was reading your books, you could borrow his Kindle and read his.

Great.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012, 10:13:01 BST
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012, 10:13:26 BST
D. Allen says:
You can lend books for up to 14 days in the US if enabled by the publisher hopefully Amazon UK will follow suit eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012, 10:52:20 BST
Oh wow,
is it for US residents only?
How will i see that the option is available?
Would it be clearly marked in my books' archive?
Thanks,
J

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012, 10:54:01 BST
Kelp Bed says:
Sadly, I doubt it very much that it be an option here in the near future..
Maybe one day though..

Posted on 8 Aug 2012, 17:50:54 BST
Steven says:
i think a lot of publishers in the us disable it anyway, so it isn't a useful as people might think.

Posted on 10 Oct 2012, 19:57:29 BST
Helene says:
All, reading through your e-mails I understand the following:

1. Husband have to (or I) have to deregister Kindle from his account. How is this done?
2. Re-register Kindle to my acccount.
2a. Husband could then loose books, or can they still be picked upt when re-registering Kindle on my account? And if so, how?
3. We both can then read the same book at the same time if 'whisper sync' is turned off.
3a. How is this turned off?
3b. Will book remain available on both devices for a period of time, and if so, how long for? In my view would have been better if Kindle books could be shared between x number of Kindle' devices. Agree?
4b. Is this something you guys feel strongly about, as I do!!!! Seems liked defeating the object having a Kindle if s in some ways, as you normally would lend / borrow books, I feel Kindle should develeop a fix that could 'h be downloaded to all Kindle devices, and 'share book' would be an option (or 'lend book for x amount of time).

Anyway, grateful for your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012, 09:27:25 BST
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2012, 09:28:59 BST
Damaskcat says:
1 - go to his account - manage your Kindle - find Kindle in manage your devices and click on de-register
2 - same process in reverse as in 1 - just follow instructions
2a -Husband will loose books - probably - from his Kindle while registered to your account but won't lose access to the books as he could register a free app to his account and read them that way
3 - Yes
3a - in manage your Kindle - mange devices - Amazon account on PC
3b - book will be available on both devices registered to the same account for as long as both devices are registered to the same account. Kindle books can be shared between any number of devices which are registered to the same Amazon account
4b - You can already share books between devices registered to the same account - much more flexible than paper as you can both be reading the same book at the same time.

There is a great deal of useful information about your Kindle if you look at the help pages in manage your kindle - there is also a very useful manual on your Kindle itself which explains all this as well as a great deal of other information.

Posted on 11 Nov 2012, 11:43:52 GMT
I. B. Paul says:
Re point 3 I have the kindle app on my iPhone and iPad and MacBook so I can read any of my kindle books on these. If these apps are registered to the original account then nothing is lost.

Posted on 26 Nov 2012, 22:55:25 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Nov 2012, 22:57:45 GMT]

Posted on 30 Dec 2012, 23:37:26 GMT
Once you then swap your kindle back to your own account you would be able to get your books back as they are saved and can be redown loaded as you can bring booksback from the archive

Posted on 2 Jan 2013, 20:31:46 GMT
A. J. Bamber says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 2 Jan 2013, 21:18:51 GMT
DaveyH says:
"Why are you all commenting like experts? I hate these forums where people chat like they actually know what they're talking about and give out false info"

Irony alert!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013, 21:22:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2013, 21:23:03 GMT
Do you mean "you can borrow some books"? "You can lend some books" supposes that the individual can lend a book to another kindler, however in the UK this function is not available. We do however have the ability to borrow books from Amazon but you have to be a Prime member to do this. I don't count myself as any sort of expert but I am an enthusiastic user of kindle for over 2 years.

Posted on 1 Apr 2013, 00:22:09 BST
Bee says:
Bargain :-)

WIDE AWAKE
by Shelly Crane
Price dropped 75% (was £4.11 when added)
£1.02
Edit this post | Permalink

Posted on 26 Apr 2013, 10:30:10 BST
Ray says:
How do I register my iPhone to my PC Kindle account? It doesn't offer me the option to add another device thanx Annie

Posted on 26 Apr 2013, 10:53:04 BST
ChrisJ says:
On the iPhone, you install the Kindle app.
Then you can sign-in on the Kindle App and access the account at that point.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
438 6 hours ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
614 14 hours ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
312 2 Mar 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
144 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
195 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
101 14 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
138 22 Jun 2017
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
707 18 Feb 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  20 Jun 2012
Latest post:  26 Jan 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers