Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can I download movies to my Kindle Fire HD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 135 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2012 08:18:26 GMT
Homer H says:
Liking my Fire HD but would love it if I could purchase and download films to it.

Can this be done already and I'm just missing the "how to" or is it just not an available feature?

Unrelated but is there any likelihood of the Skygo app becoming available?

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 09:18:17 GMT
It's really designed to stream data. It should be able to store and then play MP4 format films etc. that you burn yourself to your pc.

Think Skygo is currently unavailable. No idea if it comes in the future. Sorry :(

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 10:08:18 GMT
Roger Cave says:
The easiest way of placing movies on to tablets of any sort is to obtain some software to crack the encryption on your own discs and convert the film to MP4 standard.

Then you can drop and drag a number of movies on to the tablet to watch when you are unable to stream data.

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 10:09:56 GMT
F Rapley says:
I'd like to be able to do this too. Going on holiday where there's no wifi. I've found this site where you can purchase mp4 movie downloads. I'm going to try it later, but just wondered if anyone else had tried it for kindle fire hd?

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 10:51:31 GMT
Homer H says:
Thanks for the responses. I'll give the MP4 thing a go and will also check out imovielounge - I've seen this mentioned on other threads so might be a good place to start.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 12:55:01 GMT
A. Dietz says:
Movies you add to the Kindle Fire HD that are not from need to be in MP4 or VP8 format. You watch them through the personal video app, they will NOT appear in the video tab on your Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 13:08:29 GMT
Denis Powell says:
I downloaded one film from imovielounge to give it a try but the quality wasn't very good. Probably perfectly acceptable on a phone or iPod but no so good on the Fire. It was watchable but no more. The upside is that the file size is quite small. 90 minutes but only 370 MB.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 22:44:07 GMT
Black-cats says:
I would like to do the same but do not understand how to do it. Looking at the Amazon store there don't seem to be many films that can be watched offline (on a plane for example).

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 16:34:03 GMT
How do you do the drag and drop function? I cant even find the amazon kindle hd on my mac to do any drag and dropping

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 19:14:16 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Mr. Kilroy, have you followed the instructions in the User Guide and installed the necessary app?

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 10:45:44 GMT
Get the VLC app and you can play any format you like.

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 11:33:57 GMT
can you stream programmes and movies from your sky account

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 23:09:43 GMT
Just downloaded Captain America from imovielounge to pc, then copied it to the kindle fire movie folder and seems to work OK using personal video player!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012 23:29:10 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Catherine, many thanks for your post. I've had a look at the website and the prices seem quite good for the movies that interest me. I'll certainly give it a trial tomorrow. If the picture quality is good I might become a regular customer.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 00:26:22 GMT
I downloaded a couple of films from imovielounge direct to my kindle fire hd, I started watching them through the personal video app and all seems great at first, then they stop after about 10mins and a prompt says unable to play video.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or is this another downfall of the kindle fire???

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 13:56:06 GMT
TG says:
Has someone got an idiots guide on how to download movies onto kindle fire:

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2012 14:01:10 GMT
Kelp Bed says:
You can download them from your computer via USB in a format that the Fire understands such as mp4

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 17:25:44 GMT
I have been treated to hd fire as had original kindle
Very disappointed I cannot see point of it
My I phone does all apps and better apps
I thought you could watch movies on it as advert suggested
In your hammock ie : advert but doesn't seem to be case
With out faffing around !!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2012 17:35:42 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Claire, the Fire is really just an Amazon Media Player with some very good extras. If you have Amazon eBooks, music and audiobooks etc., then it's superb, in my opinion, but otherwise it's it's a little limited. I have some "Ultraviolet" movies on mine - free with some DVDs and BluRays and they're very good and can be watched anywhere but otherwise, at the moment, most movies are available for streaming only.

Now that a significant market exists I doubt if it will be long before a company starts selling movies for offline viewing but I'm only guessing. I think the Fire and Fire HD have attracted a lot of sales due to the price and the Amazon name but with many people believing they're buying a fully functioning Tablet which the Fire range just isn't, as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, I very much prefer my Fire HD to my higher spec Asus Tablet and don't mind a little "faffing" when the results are so rewarding. But, it's certainly not a device that's going to suit everyone.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 23:29:13 GMT
i feel ripped off with this kindle fire. i dont know how to download films let alone transfer them ! the advert for the kindle fire is misleading,22 million films its know good if youcant dowload straight to the kindle as the advert implies like you can with music thats easy i wanted this to go on trains planes etc what a load of crap sorry ann my wife its going back its crap dont buy one rubbish

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 17:57:35 GMT
Bela dog says:
OOOh NO what a disaster..... I wanted to be able to download too !! even bought the bigger memory ....whats the point !!! ? can't watch flims on a plane car or train like I was led to believe I would be able to from the advert. I think Amazon should offer a recall for us for this 2012 christmas present ...Or sort it out so we can purchase on a pay as you go basis and download a film... may take me 3 weeks to watch a movie travelling don't want to be tied into paying monthly subscriptions to something I maynot use. Totally misled !!. Fed up with Lovefim. Two issues for Amazon to sought out; 1. streaming ! we want to download where there is no Wi fi to stream
2. Pay as you go videos !
I think Amazon should consider the volume of our upset and please sort it !!

Will try and get refund !!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2012 18:26:47 GMT
What a charmer. Ann has certainly made a very lucky catch.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2012 18:34:27 GMT
On a plane or train with wifi you can watch movies.
Streaming means streaming and not downloading. I believe this is very clear in the sales blurb. There is no point whinging about it not doing something it never has done.

I would think that once Amazon has rolled this out globally then it will be in a position to negotiate licences for rental/buying movies.

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 21:27:38 GMT
C. R. Devine says:
You'll need the VLC player app on the KF and FreemakeVideoconverter on your computer, convert whatever film you want to android (takes about half an hour per film) and that's it just put on the Kindle :) bit of a pain but it works i work abroad and do this so it works and is pretty easy

Posted on 1 Jan 2013 08:39:53 GMT
I have just purchased a kindle fire HD for my wife and I got a samsung tab for myself the tab is easy to drop and drag movies into the fire was a bit harder to work out but you can download movies to computer/ laptop . then drag and drop to kindle fire but first you must download any program that will convert your downloaded films to mp4 (real player does this). then drag and drop them into video file on kindle fire hd and play via personal video app they work fine and can be watched on plane, train, and automobile hope this helps all movie problems for kindle fire hd.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
348 13 days ago
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
550 22 days ago
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  2 Nov 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers