Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Different File Formats on Kindle!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 May 2012 14:05:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 14:07:40 BDT
plutus1947 says:
Hi Fellow Kindlers,

I am realtively new to the Kindle experience and this is my first post on this Forum, so please be patient with me as I am sure my questions have been asked and answered somewhere already.

I just can't find it.

My questions:

When I download a book using my Wi-fi I appear to get files in different formats installed on the Kindle.

These are:

.azw
.ea
.mbp
.phl
.mobi
.apnx
.eal
.txt

What exactly are these files?

I believe the format used by Amazon is .mobi.

Are all the other files necessary on the Kindle, or can I delete some or all of the non .mobi files and still read the books?

I have also downloaded a book from Amazon, '200 Halogen Recipes' but I cannot see a .mobi file for this book anywhere.

The only formats show in 'Properties' for this book are:

.azw
.ea
.mpb
.phl

I am sure there are many subscriber here who have the 'know-how' about these things so I would be really gratefull for their help.

Happy weekend everyone.

Cyril

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 14:22:29 BDT
Hippocratia says:
I don't know the exact terminology, and there will be other people who can give you more accurate information, but .azw is 'similar' to .mobi and is Amazon's version of it, as far as I am aware.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 14:40:12 BDT
Damaskcat says:
All those files are necessary - no I don't understand why - but do not start deleting them! Books from Amazon are in azw format - which is a version of mobi.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 15:03:36 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Cyril, when you download a book the Kindle records the time and date, amends that every time you open the book, indexes the book so that if you search for a word it will already know all the locations where that occurs, will record bookmarks, highlights etc., and most of those things will be stored using different file types. I'm sure a google search will reveal the exact purpose of them but it's not something you need be concerned about. They take up very little space.

Incidentally, I like The Everyday Halogen Oven Cookbook as it works particularly well on the Kindle and gives all the basics.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 15:12:00 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Actually, I don't think anyone has asked that question before.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 15:58:47 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I think someone once decided to 'tidy up' their Kindle and deleted all the files they didn't understand. I think they had to have a new Kindle :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 16:34:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 16:34:56 BDT
Thomas Hardy says:
hi Plutus, you're correct about the .mobi format the files you list are all components of the book you download. So don't be tempted to delete any, as an example, all web pages will consist of many files and in different formats for images and links etc. when an author compiles their book for kindle it may consist of many files including the cover image,
Apart from the risk of disabling your kindle it could also make your kindle warranty invalid,
A friend recently decided to remove all .dll files from her computer as she is interested in numerology and thought they were unlucky, she was quite surprised when her new £500 computer stopped working,
sounds funny but illustrates an important point,
good luck with your new kindle I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we all do

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 19:16:29 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Oh dear - removing dll files from a computer - not good.

Posted on 26 May 2012 19:35:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 19:35:38 BDT
Highwayman says:
The only file you actually need from amazon is the .azw

If you are downloading from other sources you often get other files but again you only actually need the azw or the mobi file. However most of the files are small so why worry. If you want to experiment then just copy the files to a pc before deleting. I did post an explanation of most extensions here but it was probably 18 months ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 19:52:44 BDT
Oracle says:
TH, I'll be using that one as an example of the silliness of superstition for a long time to come!

Posted on 26 May 2012 20:29:10 BDT
I have been sat here for the past 5 minutes trying to figure out why she thought .ddl unlucky - knowing absolutely tad all about numerology I've drawn a blank. Can anybody put me out of my misery? :-)

Posted on 26 May 2012 20:34:27 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Well, I've just looked at Wikipedia on numerology and can say the following:

dll = 433 = 4+3+3 = 10 = 1+0 = 1. Why 1 is unlucky, I don't know, however apparently it can mean: 1. Individual. Aggressor. Self. Leadership Yang.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 22:56:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 23:06:21 BDT
Berzelius says:
As Highwayman says, the only essential file is the azw one. If you delete any others then you are only likely to lose such things as notes

Oh dear, Amazon seem to have decapitated my post, hence the abrupt end!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 08:33:09 BDT
Hippocratia says:
However, if you've gone to the trouble to make notes it would seem rather pointless to delete the files.

Posted on 27 May 2012 08:37:35 BDT
plutus1947 says:
Many thanks to you all for your replies. They were all extremely enlightening (even the ones on Numerology (LoL)).

I am certainly aware .dll files and the like are extrremely important to the OS and I would never delete them. I deel so sorry for Thomas Hasrdy's friend who deleted all their .dll files.

My post was not really about other files on my PC, only those which are downloaded onto the Kindle when I purchase a book from Amazon, Gutenberg etc.

I have discovered that some files have been created by Amazon themselves in order to ensure that books are only readable on the Kindle.

I agree with Berzelius that once you have typed a few lines in the 'Reply' box it appears to go haywire.

Thanks again to you all for your responses.

Cyril

(plutus1947)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
340 7 hours ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
550 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  26 May 2012
Latest post:  27 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer