Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Learn more Fitbit
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

how do I delete books from my Paperwhite Kindle.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jan 2014, 12:12:23 GMT
Ns A. Gannon says:
I used to be able to find the list of my books on my Amazon Kindle account, but now nothing seems to happen.

Can anyone tell me how I clear books from my kindly Paperwhite that I no longer want.

Any help gratefully received

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2014, 12:20:01 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Long touch a title and select Remove from Device.

Are you saying that when you go to Manage Your Kindle you see no books? If you are then you're not looking at the account you used to buy the books. Have you recently bought a new device or changed your Amazon password?

Posted on 14 Jan 2014, 13:38:13 GMT
What a great straight forward answer Denis thank you, you have just saved me from endless stupid posts on this subject, whish I had found you first cheers.

Posted on 14 Jan 2014, 15:20:08 GMT
Ns A. Gannon says:
Thank you that's great.

Alexina Gannon

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014, 16:21:28 GMT
Lynaire says:
How do I remove the thumbnail from deleted books in Kindle Fire? I forget what Ive read and need to tidy up the shelves!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014, 17:06:44 GMT
Denis Powell says:
If you've removed the book from your device there shouldn't be a thumbnail in the Device tab. It will show in the Cloud tab until you delete the book from your account, completely, by doing so in Manage Your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014, 10:52:03 GMT
Lynaire says:
Thanks Denis, tidied shelves this morning - I do think it's a cumbersome way of deleting books from library though. Mine is a Kindle Fire, is the Paperwhite the same?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014, 10:58:56 GMT
Denis Powell says:
If there were a "mass delete" option there would be a lot of posts from people accidentally removing all their books and wanting them back.

It's one of those cases where a little regular housekeeping is better than a Spring Clean.

The newer devices have Cloud Collections so there's no need to have large numbers of books on any of them. When I finish a book I delete it. I may then move it from one Collection to another or go to Manage Your Kindle and fenders it completely.

Posted on 23 Jul 2014, 21:50:02 BST
helen f says:
how do i remove books from Cloud on my kindle paperwhite

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014, 21:54:26 BST
@Helen F: A full Kindle Guide was supplied ready installed on your Paperwhite when it was delivered to you. You MAY want to read it and begin to enjoy all of the features of this fantastic device :(

In the meantime go to
YOUR ACCOUNT top right of this page
select MANAGE YOUR KINDLE
pick any of the books you want to delete and click them.
Select DELETE.
They are now deleted from your cloud and you will need to buy them to see them again.

They will remain on your Paperwhite if you have already downloaded them. You will need to delete them from your Paperwhite to throw them away from your device.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014, 22:12:40 BST
helen f says:
Hi I have read the Guide but did not find any information on how to delete from Cloud. I have deleted the book from my account, no bother, but it is still in Cloud and when I try to remove it a window has informed me that the Licence Limited Reached and I may purchase another copy fromKindle store. I want to get rid of it from my new paperwhite not buy another copy! Any help appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014, 22:30:33 BST
Last edited by the author on 23 Jul 2014, 22:31:05 BST
Have you deleted it in Manage My Kindle as advised?

Have you syncd?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2014, 05:11:02 BST
CBRetriever says:
check and see how many devices you have on your account - if you are using reading apps, every time you register/deregister, you are creating a new instance of that "entity" so one reading app could potentially tie up 6 licences if it's beenupdated multiple times

and if you delete it under Manage Your Kindle, you will have to buy a new copy

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2014, 15:51:10 BST
Lolly says:
thank you so much it's easy when you know how

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2014, 09:27:30 BST
SS Dorset says:
You are a genius, Denis! Ever thought of writing a handbook...?

Ms. SMS

Posted on 26 Aug 2014, 09:43:13 BST
@SMS: Sadly if "In the event of problems press the ON button for 20 seconds" was put as the screen saver in bright flashing pink neon text with horns, beepers, pom pom girls and a marching band 99% of users would still not bother read it :(

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2014, 09:53:13 BST
Denis Powell says:
Sian, the instructions for deleting books are given in the Kindle User Guide on the device itself. What isn't in that is covered in detail in the Help pages for each device (on the website) and there are some useful videos there too.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2014, 15:30:16 BST
dinger says:
Thank you Mr Powell, I was wondering how to delete a book I didn`t want, that's great, thank you for being helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2014, 07:44:46 BST
Thank you, it was so easy

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2015, 10:34:44 GMT
Jinty Pow says:
Please help. I can't find my kindle guide. I feel so useless! Jeanette

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2015, 11:30:40 GMT
Subtle Knife says:
go to home page
select the spyglass icon and type in GUIDE or USER
It should search and find your User Guide - click it to read it.

Or go to the HELP button at the to o fhte page, select Kindle, click on the picture of the Kindle model you have and click in USER GUIDE to read it in pdf format on your pc.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2015, 15:08:35 GMT
Doreen says:
Thank you Denis, how easy was that!!!, as an" olddie" I found more and more how difficult daily living was until I discovered Google and all clever people who take the trouble to write in and help us. I now have a nice clear Kindle to start again I had 56 books in all.
D xx

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2015, 17:35:42 GMT
Denis Powell says:
You're most welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2015, 19:54:39 GMT
helen f says:
Dear Denis, I know how to delete books but I am having trouble putting books into cloud and also into collections and getting rid of them in my list. I seem to be putting books in a collection but they also stay on my device. What I need is an old fashioned manual the says-Step 1 do this Step 2 do this etc. I'm doing by best here but here Denis but simple instructions would be wonderful. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2015, 20:55:14 GMT
CBRetriever says:
try this page and the parts you need to pay attention to concern the stars by the Collection names

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201455610

and when you are done starring, your Home page needs to look like this:

Cloud ___ On Device ___ My Items ___ Collections

with a note that if you do not star a Collection, any books placed in that Collection will appear loose on your Home page
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
428 18 Jul 2017
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
612 18 Jul 2017
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
312 2 Mar 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
144 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
195 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
101 14 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
138 22 Jun 2017
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
707 18 Feb 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  1 Jan 2014
Latest post:  29 Oct 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers